Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #8021
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I would rickshaw Monahan to the airport and pay for the flight for Kuznetsov
Compare their numbers. And age. And contract. The year they won the cup he had great numbers. Other years - pretty ordinary, and he was eventually moved off the line with Ovie.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #8022
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And more facts here. Eichel has done ZERO in the post season. Hasn't played a game. Hasn't even come close to getting his team near the post season. Eichel is a figment of a lot of people's imaginations. He's with Monahan smack dab in the middle of the second tier of centers in the NHL. Until Eichel steps up and shows he's this mythical player people keep pumping up, he's nothing that much different from the guy we have. 21 points separate them, and the guy with fewer has managed to be the number one center on a playoff team multiple times during his career. I'm open to trading Monahan, and even trading him for Eichel, but the expectations and understanding of what we are getting back in return need to be reigned the hell in.
LOL go get some lunch and rethink what you said. This take is about as homer as you can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #8023
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yeah, Buffalo passes on that because they get nothing back that helps them right now. It's a bag of ####ing magic beans. They don't need Hanifin, they need proven quantities up front, and right now. Would you take Brandon Montour, Casey Middlestadt, Cody Eakin with Eric Staal's salary, Ryan Johnson, and a three draft picks for Monahan, knowing we are hoping to make the playoffs this year? Don't be dense.
Well, for starters:

Hanifin >>>> Montour.
Bennett > Mittelstadt.
Ryan = Eakin.
Pelletier > Johnson.

And because you put them as “in the same class”, let me also show you this:

Eichel >>>>>>>>>> Monahan

So your value comparison is off.

Sure we’re hoping to make the playoffs - but is Buffalo hoping to make the playoffs? Well, I’m sure they’re hoping to win the Stanley Cup but they’re one of the worst teams in the league, and Eichel has openly discussed his dissatisfaction with the Sabres organization and lack of success.

Do you really believe Buffalo is going to trade Eichel and hope to get better today? This season is already a lost cause in Buffalo. They won’t be making any short term trades.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #8024
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
He is pretty dependent on Gaudreau though. Monahan has a very hard time with carrying the puck and gaining zone entry. A pretty critical part of being able to provide offence.
No more so than Gaudreau is dependent on Monahan. And I think the reason Monahan appears to struggle with carrying the puck into the offensive zone is because Gaudreau is usually the one doing it. I think Monahan defers too much to him, and he was playing a lot better to start the year when he was being more assertive in the neutral zone, and holding onto the puck more often.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #8025
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Compare their numbers. And age. And contract. The year they won the cup he had great numbers. Other years - pretty ordinary, and he was eventually moved off the line with Ovie.
I think it's safe to say 31 teams would take Kuznetsov over Monahan. Without hesitation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #8026
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo is going to be losing any trade they make when giving up a franchise player. Make it worth their while.

Monahan + Hanifin, Pelletier, 2021 1st, 2022 1st (1st if we make the playoffs)

for Eichel and Rieder

Then go for a deadline LD vet if Valimaki/Kylington/Nesterov aren't cutting it as the #4. Someone like Jordie Benn to avoid the 2 week rule. Or live with Valimaki/Kylington/Nesterov as a #4 (likely Valimaki) until we acquire another D.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #8027
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I think it's safe to say 31 teams would take Kuznetsov over Monahan. Without hesitation.
And I think that you ignore that he’s a 28 year old second line centre who has scored over 21 goals once, and scored 19 least year. Who makes $7.8M for 5 more years, with a NTC.

Monahan has more points in fewer seasons without centring arguably the best pure goal scorer ever.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #8028
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Buffalo is going to be losing any trade they make when giving up a franchise player. Make it worth their while.

Monahan + Hanifin, Pelletier, 2021 1st, 2022 1st (1st if we make the playoffs)

for Eichel and Rieder

Then go for a deadline LD vet if Valimaki/Kylington/Nesterov aren't cutting it as the #4. Someone like Jordie Benn to avoid the 2 week rule. Or live with Valimaki/Kylington/Nesterov as a #4 (likely Valimaki) until we acquire another D.
Eichel is good enough to back the truck up for, but I don’t think he warrants an Eric Lindros like package.

My bet is he goes to the Rangers for Lafreniere +.

I don’t think the Flames have the piece the Sabres will demand.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #8029
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Well, for starters:

Hanifin >>>> Montour.
Bennett > Mittelstadt.
Ryan = Eakin.
Pelletier > Johnson.

And because you put them as “in the same class”, let me also show you this:

Eichel >>>>>>>>>> Monahan

So your value comparison is off.

Sure we’re hoping to make the playoffs - but is Buffalo hoping to make the playoffs? Well, I’m sure they’re hoping to win the Stanley Cup but they’re one of the worst teams in the league, and Eichel has openly discussed his dissatisfaction with the Sabres organization and lack of success.

Do you really believe Buffalo is going to trade Eichel and hope to get better today? This season is already a lost cause in Buffalo. They won’t be making any short term trades.
Yeah, this is why I think the futures are the assets they are looking for. The picks and prospects are what they would be looking for. As for the rest, Monahan would fill a spot at C in the interim, Hanifin is a young guy who would still be around for the rebuild. Plus they aren’t paying Eichel that fat salary.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #8030
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No more so than Gaudreau is dependent on Monahan. And I think the reason Monahan appears to struggle with carrying the puck into the offensive zone is because Gaudreau is usually the one doing it. I think Monahan defers too much to him, and he was playing a lot better to start the year when he was being more assertive in the neutral zone, and holding onto the puck more often.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
This argument is the one I find most unsupported historically. Johnny Gaudreau has won at all levels outside of the NHL. He has moved the needle in the NCAAs, World Juniors, Worlds, all star competitions, etc... You can argue that he has been surrounded by talent, but by definition world tournaments involve the best of the best, and he has historically more than held his own. Now he gets to Calgary and all of a sudden he is something of an anchor to a guy who does not possess that historical pedigree?

I'm a Sean Monahan fan, but I would contest an assertion that he's carrying Johnny Gaudreau. Monahan's greatest strength is possessing a first liner's sense of the play around him, and the ability to play within his limitations. He does not possess slick hands or elusive footwork which allow him to make defenders vulnerable one on one, and he doesn't try to be that guy. His strengths do allow him to contribute to an offensive line, but you could insert Tkachuk, Dube or Mangiapane with Gaudreau and Lindholm and probably obtain similar results on line one.

All of this is not said to denigrate Sean Monahan, but rather to point out that he is a cerebral player, who by my estimation appears to be honing his game, but his greatest worth to this team remains being a strong complimentary piece. The eyes tell me he has committed to working on skating, he is becoming a sound defensive player, and he is carrying the puck to a greater degree, but he remains committed to playing a conservative game. Nothing wrong with that, you'll find those guys on championship teams, but suggesting that he is capable of carrying a first line, or even demanding this of him is unfair to the player. To suggest that Johnny Gaudreau is JAG without Sean Monahan is similarly unjust in my lay opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #8031
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
This argument is the one I find most unsupported historically. Johnny Gaudreau has won at all levels outside of the NHL. He has moved the needle in the NCAAs, World Juniors, Worlds, all star competitions, etc... You can argue that he has been surrounded by talent, but by definition world tournaments involve the best of the best, and he has historically more than held his own. Now he gets to Calgary and all of a sudden he is something of an anchor to a guy who does not possess that historical pedigree?

I'm a Sean Monahan fan, but I would contest an assertion that he's carrying Johnny Gaudreau. Monahan's greatest strength is possessing a first liner's sense of the play around him, and the ability to play within his limitations. He does not possess slick hands or elusive footwork which allow him to make defenders vulnerable one on one, and he doesn't try to be that guy. His strengths do allow him to contribute to an offensive line, but you could insert Tkachuk, Dube or Mangiapane with Gaudreau and Lindholm and probably obtain similar results on line one.

All of this is not said to denigrate Sean Monahan, but rather to point out that he is a cerebral player, who by my estimation appears to be honing his game, but his greatest worth to this team remains being a strong complimentary piece. The eyes tell me he has committed to working on skating, he is becoming a sound defensive player, and he is carrying the puck to a greater degree, but he remains committed to playing a conservative game. Nothing wrong with that, you'll find those guys on championship teams, but suggesting that he is capable of carrying a first line, or even demanding this of him is unfair to the player. To suggest that Johnny Gaudreau is JAG without Sean Monahan is similarly unjust in my lay opinion.
really?

He's only argued that they are co-dependent. Has anyone (or more than 1-2 people...it's the internet afterall) claimed Monny is carrying JG?
Old 02-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #8032
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Buffalo is such a mess that Pergula should ask if he can fold his team, given the rest of the league another 300 million and partake in an expansion draft with the Kraken.

Since 2010 this is the list of guys that they have drafted who have played more than 200 games after the 16th overall pick in the draft..Mark Pysyk (pick 23 2010), Jake McCabe (Pick 44 2012), J.T. Compher (pick 35, 2013). Even if you look at guys with 80 games since the 2015 draft, it's as bleak or worse.

3 players, all of whom are role players at best, and all within the first half of the second round. For a team that has not made the playoffs since 2011. They made Edmonton look like a well oiled machine.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 02-28-2021 at 02:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #8033
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
really?

He's only argued that they are co-dependent. Has anyone (or more than 1-2 people...it's the internet afterall) claimed Monny is carrying JG?
Perhaps that is what was meant, but co-dependent implies reliance on another. History does not support Gaudreau being dependent on Monahan.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #8034
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps that is what was meant, but co-dependent implies reliance on another. History does not support Gaudreau being dependent on Monahan.
That would be "dependent." Unless Gaudreau has some necessity to be needed by Monahan and can't perform without him.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #8035
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
That would be "dependent." Unless Gaudreau has some necessity to be needed by Monahan and can't perform without him.
Point taken.
The Following User Says Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #8036
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames should be looking to grab Reinhart from Buffalo. C/RW as it looks like they are inching closer to a rebuild.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #8037
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wonder if Connolly clears and can be taxi squad eligible, retain a portion to balance Bennett for him.... I know Sam is a C, and with the lines returning I think he could stay. However, if he’s being sent out, curious if there’s a deal here. Value equal? With $$ retained on Connolly?
Old 02-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #8038
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your history is stuff like the World Cup (3 games playing with Nathan MacKinnon), and World Junior, where he was great, but scored less than RNH, Teravainen, Granlund and Armia in one more game - that’s how that sample size can distort. And All Star games 3 on 3? Come on.

Gaudreau is great. But the pushback is that it’s all him and Monahan is a complete passenger.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #8039
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan as the base of a trade for Eichel doesn't even start the conversation. If you want Eichel the conversation starts with Tkachuk or Lindholm and I highly doubt Lindholm is enough to be the base of the trade return.

Tkachuk, Valimaki, Pelletier and a 1st is my guess.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #8040
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Monahan as the base of a trade for Eichel doesn't even start the conversation. If you want Eichel the conversation starts with Tkachuk or Lindholm and I highly doubt Lindholm is enough to be the base of the trade return.

Tkachuk, Valimaki, Pelletier and a 1st is my guess.
You are assuming they want a player of significant high value back. Many are assuming they want a ton of picks and prospects. Monahan in that scenario isn;t the base of the trade - he’s a guy who can take a centre spot in their roster while the picks and prospects develop with Cozens, Dahlin, and their other young guys.
Closed Thread