Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy Blasty is back?
Yes 275 72.56%
No 104 27.44%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #1381
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
If the Flames really hate the alternates now, they should just wear them for the first 5 home games and get it done and over with... But I guess there are other rules and restrictions..

Isn't one of the reasons they are wearing them this year as a tribute to the memory of Ken King who loved the flags?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #1382
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Isn't one of the reasons they are wearing them this year as a tribute to the memory of Ken King who loved the flags?
I thought I read somewhere that the only reason for last year's home jersey to stick around is because the team needs to have a 3rd jersey of some sort this year or they lose the ability to have a 3rd jersey in the future.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:06 AM   #1383
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the only reason for last year's home jersey to stick around is because the team needs to have a 3rd jersey of some sort this year or they lose the ability to have a 3rd jersey in the future.
What kind of rule is that?

“Hey team, you guys can’t have this great merchandising gimmick anymore cause you didn’t have it last year”

A league that needs to sponsor their divisions certainly wouldn’t stop a team from having a third jersey
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #1384
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I will say this — from what I understand, it usually takes around 18 months to complete the process of introducing a new jersey.

I think it's likely that a new Flames third jersey just isn't ready yet. It's probably better for revenue purposes to go with one this year than not.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:27 AM   #1385
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I will say this — from what I understand, it usually takes around 18 months to complete the process of introducing a new jersey.

I think it's likely that a new Flames third jersey just isn't ready yet. It's probably better for revenue purposes to go with one this year than not.
That seems so crazy when it seems perfectly likely that they already have the best third jersey design available to them already, the 2004 home jersey. Must be a lot of red tape in the process.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #1386
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
That seems so crazy when it seems perfectly likely that they already have the best third jersey design available to them already, the 2004 home jersey. Must be a lot of red tape in the process.
Part of it is market timing too. We just switched to full retros including the whites. Just had the Blasty Redux done. You want the panache to wear off those things before introducing something else.

If you’re a musician you don’t drop all your albums at once, even if you do have the songs written.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #1387
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also thought there was merchandising rule with Adidas where teams had to have jerseys for a certain number of years after a change.

This would mainly because they have committments and contracts with everything from factories to distributors, including the league itself, and none of those parties don't, in theory, want teams deciding after 2 years that they are scrapping all uniforms and starting over, which then would have a while lot of already produced jerseys that are sitting in inventory, basically worthless. So, merchandising agreements and commitments are in place for several years for jerseys and the team identity such as main logos etc.

To get out of those commitments, I think the teams could buy up all those old jersey sitting around/payout the previously agreed upon merchandising contract at a cost. Or, keep one of them around like the Flames have, which is also a tribute to KK and HH and other owners, who really pushed for the flags (well, they wanted to use the Maple leaf and Alberta crest from the flag, but rules say you have to use the full flag, as is).

I am sure there are other legalities around that, but its an issue similar to where in some leagues, star players can only change numbers if they buy the inventory of jerseys created under a prenegotiated contract, with their current number.

And yes, from knowledge of this way back, from first draft of an identity/uniform/jersey change submitted to the league, it takes about a year and a half in calender months, for the final jersey to hit the ice, given of course there is an offseason of 4 months in there and as most teams want to debut jerseys at the beginning of a year or US Thanksgiving, this means late winter of the year prior the design is first presented.

Takes time going back and forth with the restrictions of the manufacturing process from Adidas vs the design desired, and making tweaks to the design as a result, and legal and administrative things and contracts, from then, once the design approved, making sure that the current inventory of jerseys is depleted through distributors, and the retooling of factories to create the new jerseys, creation if the new marketing materials etc by the teams, all has to occur in stages, nevermind producing the amount of inventory needed to be sold Day 1.

Again this would be for the jerseys considered full time as the identity of the team, not sure if the reverse retro or things such as the Winter Classic jerseys are the same, because they have a limited manufacturing run (and fall under control of the league I think, not the team itself for merchandising purposes), as they are not the main identity/merchandising of the team as the home and away uniforms are.

Last edited by browna; 01-09-2021 at 11:01 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #1388
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am surprised at how well received this reverse retro has been. I can't get past the fact that I think of the Canucks retros every time I see it. They could have gone with so many other options.
GIODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GIODUDE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:37 PM   #1389
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I must have missed the part where the Canucks' retros had a great big horse on the front.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #1390
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't deny that the color scheme is very close to the Canucks skate jersey. Actually, looking at both, the Canucks skate jersey is nicer; I much prefer the thicker straight striping.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #1391
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I must have missed the part where the Canucks' retros had a great big horse on the front.
I must have missed the part where the entire jersey was the logo
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #1392
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Do the Canucks really get to lay claim to a colour scheme that they ditched 23 years ago? I understand still having memories of the team wearing it in the 80s but it should hardly be seen as exclusively theirs—it wasn't their first choice and it wasn't their last.

If the Flames want to do a black jersey at all, odds are it's going to look at least a little bit similar to a couple jerseys the Canucks used to wear... I don't think that should be a reason to go in a different direction, though. The Canucks arguably copied Boston in the first place by doing a black jersey with yellow accents.

Also, my apologies if my last post reads as a little bit snarky. Meant it more as a joke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 AM   #1393
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Do the Canucks really get to lay claim to a colour scheme that they ditched 23 years ago? I understand still having memories of the team wearing it in the 80s but it should hardly be seen as exclusively theirs—it wasn't their first choice and it wasn't their last.

If the Flames want to do a black jersey at all, odds are it's going to look at least a little bit similar to a couple jerseys the Canucks used to wear... I don't think that should be a reason to go in a different direction, though. The Canucks arguably copied Boston in the first place by doing a black jersey with yellow accents.

Also, my apologies if my last post reads as a little bit snarky. Meant it more as a joke.
The lines making a V shape doesn't help either. I'm sorry but I can't help the fact the these jerseys make me instinctively think of the Canucks rather than the Flames. I'm not even saying they're bad but this is enough to make me not want to wear it.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fans...seys?auto=true
GIODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:19 AM   #1394
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Nucks have had so many different coloured jerseys over the years, pretty much half the league has something similar.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:30 AM   #1395
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the negative talk about Blasty over the years here, this poll kind of got one-sided in the other direction.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #1396
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canucks fans also must be upset over how gaudy their tie-died reverse retro uniforms are.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #1397
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, theirs is significantly worse. That gradient is terrible
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #1398
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
For all the negative talk about Blasty over the years here, this poll kind of got one-sided in the other direction.

Yes, there is nothing more scientific than an online, voluntary response poll. Debate over.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #1399
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Yes, there is nothing more scientific than an online, voluntary response poll. Debate over.
It may not be scientific, but the message - that hard core Flames fans strongly approve - is pretty indisputable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #1400
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Well the debate is essentially over as 350 is a pretty good sample size that probably won't deviate considerably with a higher count. The vocal minority is still allowed to hate them but the majority of hardcore fans here like Blasty.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote