Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #961
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch most of the Star Wars Theory videos, he's a quality YouTuber overall.

But yes, he cries all the time during his reactions. That's why he films them. He knows it's entertaining for the viewers.
And he's capitalizing on the publicity - that's what YouTubers do.

However, I think he does have a point against Pablo Hidalgo. Pablo Hidalgo is clearly completely disconnected with how the fans act/think. Hidalgo is an embarrassment to Lucas Film.

If you want truly terrible Star Wars YouTubers, watch Mike Zeroh or Stupendous Wave.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #962
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think SWT is very good and his content is good, like I said he went off of the reservation a bit with ROS. There's a guy called Generation Tech and his Star Wars content is really really good.

For fan reaction, I really like Louise, but if you want to see someone get emotional, she's it because she's a pure heart Star Wars fan, there's another one called I think Alysha, she's really good, but she has a sarcasm meter a mile wide when it comes to characters she doesn't like.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #963
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

But yes, he cries all the time during his reactions. That's why he films them. He knows it's entertaining for the viewers.

However, I think he does have a point against Pablo Hidalgo. Pablo Hidalgo is clearly completely disconnected with how the fans act/think. Hidalgo is an embarrassment to Lucas Film.

If you want truly terrible Star Wars YouTubers, watch Mike Zeroh or Stupendous Wave.

God, Zeroh is the supershadow of our times btw, I've never watched Stupendous Wave.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #964
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

EckhartsLadder and Generation Films/Tech are my main SW youtubers. Plenty of geeky analysis without the big channel over-dramatics, and even not afraid to throw some criticism where warranted occasionally.

My favourite Eck content has always been his VS videos pitting ships, factions, species etc against each other, sometimes even cross-universe like Trek or Halo. He’s promised to do more of that in 2021. Anyone who puts the effort into creating an Eclipse vs Viscount short film is a good one in my books.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #965
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's possible.

And it gets eyeballs, unfortunately.

They would be less common if we weren't addicted to observing drama and sensationalism, and all those clicks went toward nature videos or something wholesome and of value.

More broadly put, people are addicted to any form of emotional tension, even if it's low vibe.

It's too bad that the geek/enthusiast community has largely become complaint/rant vlogs because it gets more of a following than discussion of content/lore itself.

But that's why I like SWT, he's not nearly as bad as others. Other posters made a way bigger fuss. It's odd that they took far more offence to it than the person supposedly "targeted".

This isn't some new thing. People have been watching soap operas since there was TVs. Even before that live theatre was largely just melo-drama. Shakespeare is basically just adding melodrama to historical epics.

I quite like SWT too. I really don't see a problem with him getting emotional, even if he is exaggerating a bit for the camera. The beauty part about YouTube is that if you see something you don't like, you can just stop watching it and watch one of the millions of other videos out there. This isn't like the old days, where you have X amount channels to watch on a set schedule.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #966
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
EckhartsLadder and Generation Films/Tech are my main SW youtubers. Plenty of geeky analysis without the big channel over-dramatics, and even not afraid to throw some criticism where warranted occasionally.

My favourite Eck content has always been his VS videos pitting ships, factions, species etc against each other, sometimes even cross-universe like Trek or Halo. He’s promised to do more of that in 2021. Anyone who puts the effort into creating an Eclipse vs Viscount short film is a good one in my books.

Eck got me hooked on all of the really awesome Empire at War mods that are hopelessly addicting.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #967
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Agreed.

Ugh, Zeroh lives up to his name. Never heard a YTer talk for so long while conveying so little information. Just talks in circles, and posts consistently false rumors everywhere, throwing poop at the wall for clicks. SW Eklund.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #968
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Very sad news as Tom Kane who voice Yoda and narrated in the Clone Wars, played a ton of characters in Star Wars including the voice of Ackbar in the ST, and Woodhouse in Archer had a stroke and has lost his ability to verbally communicate

https://deadline.com/2020/12/star-wa...ke-1234663335/

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #969
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I was ready to give up on the whole Star wars series, but having Jenkins onboard has given me renewed hope.
After watching WW84, I take this back.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:08 AM   #970
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just finished S2 of The Mandalorian, and all I can say is that. was. AWESOME

Disney just needs to suck it up, retcon the new trilogy, and give the keys of the Star Wars kingdom to Favreau, he just gets it. That was the best SW content we've seen since RotJ (honorable mention to Rogue One), but the only thing nagging in the back of my head is how all this amazing world building being done with Mandalorian gets absolutely shat on by the new trilogy. I really hope they figure out a decent way to side step it if they don't want to just banish it all together
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:13 AM   #971
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

If anyone can find a way, it’s Dave Filoni.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #972
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

High Republic trailer

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #973
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Review Republic Commando.

Ok finished the 3rd of the 5 book series. I don't know why I couldn't get through this series the first time, but its actually turned into a really good series that echos a lot of the problems with the Republic, and why people were probably ok with it being replaced by the Empire.

Remember that this book was written long before the idea of the Chips being put into the heads of the Clones so they would execute Order 66.

This book addresses a few key story lines, most of them around the idea that the Republic is using a slave army to fight their battles. The Clones have no rights, receive no pay, and have no life to look forward to mainly because first of all they have an accelerated life span, second of all, the Republic and Jedi for the most part don't care about their casualties.

This leads to some Jedi becoming disgruntled with both the Jedi Council and with the government of the republic to the point that one Jedi general leaves the order.

Meanwhile we're dealing with some moments of self awareness by the Clones, they are humans, and have human emotions, and can fall in love. This leads to one Clone Commando falling in love and knocking up a Jedi.

Meanwhile leading to the treatment of Clones we see how bad their treatment is, one main character a commando named Fi suffers and falls into a head injury and because there is no chance of him returning to duty, the protocol is euthanasia. When his fellow Commando's and a love interest of one of the Clones try to intervene and save his life they are informed that they are attempting to steal Republic Property.

The other main story line is the pursuit of Ko Sai the Kaminoan geneticist in an attempt to find a way to give the Clones a normal lifespan.

This book is a excellent read, it improves on Hard Contact while we follow the members of Delta Squad (from the game) and Omega Squad and get a deeper sense that these are people trapped and fighting for a completely corrupt Republic.

At the same time you can start to see the march towards the conclusion of the war and the execution of Order 66 with Palpatine's machinations happening in the back ground.

There aren't a ton of battle scenes in this book, it reads more like a combination of a political thriller and a detective knowledge.

Even though this is sadly a Legends book, you can see a lot of the Null Trooper characters in the Bad Batch which is really interesting.

4/5

Old 01-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #974
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a lot of good books written around the time frame of the prequel trilogy. Well thought out concepts and explanations on how democracy fell seemingly so easily to the tyrannical Emperor.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #975
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As cheesy as some of the dialogue could be in the PT, outside of all of Palpatine's stuff being awesome. When a depressed Padme looks around the senate and says "This is how Liberty dies, with thunderous applause" was a great line with a lot of historical reference.

The Republic was corrupt, there was no question, even though the Sith did a lot of manipulation of the Senate to push them to that point, it didn't need to be a hard push.

Even the Jedi really weren't there for the people and the weak, their first duty which was misguided was to the Republic and to Democracy.

The Empire was already in power long before the Republics name was changed.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #976
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if the credits for the PT looked more like this

and less like this

I'm confident we would have gotten the more impactful story (and just plain superior films for that matter) that Cap has been trying to relay to us all these years.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #977
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I agree, thought Kasdan was the writer for The Force Awakens and Solo, which are both critized in terms of their writing. But yeah, I look at his body of work, and maybe recombining George with Kasdan in the PT would have lead to better movies and maybe no I hate sand moments.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #978
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big announcement today from Lucasfilm regarding the future of Star Wars gaming...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349363457557098499

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/artic...star-wars-game

Ubisoft will be developing an open-world story-driven game set in the Star Wars universe. The team behind the Tom Clancy's The Division 2 game will be developing the new Star Wars game.

This also signals the end of EA's exclusive deal to make Star Wars related games. EA will continue to make Star Wars games, including the sequel to Jedi Fallen Order, but they will no longer be the only developer working with the IP.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #979
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Ubisoft will be developing an open-world story-driven game set in the Star Wars universe. The team behind the Tom Clancy's The Division 2 game will be developing the new Star Wars game..
This actually makes me a lot more excited rather than having an Assassin's Creed or FarCry in space. Division 2 is absolutely fantastic for world building, gameplay, and narrative. What drags it down is being an MMO-lite with bullet sponge enemies. It will be interesting to see what that team can do without the always online constraint
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #980
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bring back 1313