Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #941
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Stumbled upon a documentary last night that covered the 20 years since the release of Phantom Menace. I found it really interesting.

It covered the hype leading up to it, and the back lash by Star Wars fans against it.

It had interview clips from George who admitted that he's not a good writer and not a great director and how it hurt the movie. (He is a terrific world builder though)

It touched on and had some interesting behind the scenes footage where it was agreed that one of the biggest problems was that nobody at Lucas Films really challenged him during the making of the movie and because of that Lucas got obsessed with the visual quality of the movie instead of the story.

Shockingly it talks about 20 years later that younger fans that weren't raised on the OT have a much more favorable opinion on TPM.

The theory was presented that one of the reason, that George sold out to Disney was that he was a bit hurt by the backlash against the PT and wanted to put the next generations of Star Wars in the hands of someone who could make good movies.

Clips of George when they were viewing the cuts of TPM realizing that it wasn't a great movie and the pacing was too fast. He tried to fix the pacing but he couldn't fix the other errors and he looked crushed at that.

The shameful behavior of Star Wars fans when it came to Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best. Lloyd now lives in a psychiatric facility with severe schizophrenia. Ahmed best thought about suicide after the fans savaged him.

Overall a interesting look, and at some point there will be some serious comparisons between the PT and the ST, and who did a better job with Star Wars, Disney or Lucas?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #942
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1310214651272101889
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #943
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

ha... i like this comment:
Quote:
GarageMan

@GarageMan20

·
Sep 27

Replying to @CadBanesBounty

Rise of Skywalker should be 2020 it’s so bad.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #944
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sta...er-1234875850/

Quote:
Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo apologized for tweeting "emotions are not to be shared" in a thread about a Star Wars fan's emotional reaction to "The Mandalorian." But the damage had been done.
Buy our product peons, slurp that gruel.

When you have executives like this in charge what else is to be expected considering the product that's being shoveled out.

This is worse than Edmonton Oilers executives Tier A or Tier B Edmonton fans.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #945
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sta...er-1234875850/

Buy our product peons, slurp that gruel.

When you have executives like this in charge what else is to be expected considering the product that's being shoveled out.

This is worse than Edmonton Oilers executives Tier A or Tier B Edmonton fans.
Meh, that youtuber seems like a baby.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #946
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pablo is usually really good with the fan base, this feels like a joke comment gone really wrong. I also know and follow Star Wars Theory, and yeah he can get emotional at times, he's a long time deep star wars fan, that went over the top in terms of Last Jedi including trying to build a case that all of the actors in the trilogy felt screwed over by the Trilogy. So yeah Pablo might have made a joking comment about Toos crying, but at the same time I've seen Pablo following a lot of the pro star wars crowd, and there could have been a bit of unintentional malice to it.

Star Wars fans and creative executives tend to be a bit thin skinned though, especially in the Star Wars world.

I'm a huge fan, I go deep into lore and read the books and all that, but I think I would have a badge of honor made if a guy like Pablo took a shot at me, and would find an appropriate shot to send back.

But maybe I don't understand youtubers.

I will say that a lot of the pro star wars set had strong emotional reactions to Luke's return.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #947
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
A baby that has 2.67 million youtube subscribers.

Would you slag people crying because they hold up a silver cup. After all, it has no properties beyond being given out after 16 wins.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #948
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
A baby that has 2.67 million youtube subscribers.

Would you slag people crying because they hold up a silver cup. After all, it has no properties beyond being given out after 16 wins.
I'm not slagging him for crying during the show, I just think he looks like a baby getting so offended by what was likely a joke and trying to make it a big deal of it.

And that comparison to personally winning the Stanley Cup is laughably bad.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #949
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not slagging him for crying during the show, I just think he looks like a baby getting so offended by what was likely a joke and trying to make it a big deal of it.

The author of the joke has a history of trolling star wars fans and describing star wars fandom as being incredibly ####ty.

Last edited by Cliche; 12-29-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #950
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're kind of making my point that the emotions around battling for and winning a Stanley Cup is a bad comparison to watching a TV show.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #951
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol Star Wars fans are the worst. What a nothing tweet. That YouTube “star” is a pathetic joke who just wants attention.

This might be the lamest controversy of all time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #952
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lucasfilm-...172702983.html

Apparently somebody at Lucas film thinks differently.

Quote:
“I wish to clarify that my post that ‘emotions are not to be shared’ was sarcastic self-mockery and was certainly motions are not to be shared’ was sarcastic self-mockery and was certainly not intended to be hurtful to anyone and I’m deeply sorry that it was. As a lifelong fan, I appreciate fans expressing how they feel – it’s what being a fan is about,” Hidalgo said late Monday. “We can’t all be together in movie theaters or at conventions right now, so express yourself online! (In fact, those of us not prone to such displays will quietly live vicariously through your energy.)”

Can you see the crocodile tears?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This world has gone crazy. Someone wrote a 1000 word article about a youtuber who live streams himself watching a fantasy tv show, and is upset about nothing. That article should not exist. Nor should anything in the previous sentence. Well done humanity.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #954
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
You're kind of making my point that the emotions around battling for and winning a Stanley Cup is a bad comparison to watching a TV show.

Mr. Gatekeeper, is it alright when I watch a TV show based on a sporting thing? Like the Hurricane? Or Rudy?

Asking for a friend.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #955
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's pretty obviously opportunism to make another video or ten that will also gets several million views and will therefore make him a few bucks while potentially bringing a couple of people to his channel... Controversy is good for that.
Quote:
To be fair, if the Flames win the cup this year, there will be more than a few people crying who didn't win it personally. On this site, no less.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #956
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Lol Star Wars fans are the worst. What a nothing tweet. That YouTube “star” is a pathetic joke who just wants attention.

This might be the lamest controversy of all time.

Star Wars fans are the worst thing to happen to Star Wars. Hands down the most annoying fan base in pop culture history.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #957
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Quote:
Every one got emotional at that episode, or they didn't have a soul.

SWT already responded and was pretty chill and not at all butthurt. The other randos on YT are more worked up which is weird to me.

It was definitely blown out of proportion but I saw his reaction before the tweets and loved it cause I resonated with it. He even laughed at himself in the video for his reaction.

He seems like a cool dude and I dig his enthusiasm. Can always rely on CP users to chime in with ignorant labeling comments about someone/something they don't know about though.

Time to get over the prehistoric stigma/insecurity around men showing emotion. Takes more balls to put that reaction out there and stand behind it than being one of the people calling it out from their anonymous internet caves.

Following your passions despite what people say or think is what lands you 2+ million followers doing something that you love full time. I doubt he's losing any sleep.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-29-2020 at 09:50 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #958
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't judge someone for getting emotional during that episode. But I do judge someone for getting whiny about a tweet and trying to garner more attention from it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #959
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Sounds like Hidalgo was making fun of the people criticizing SWT, and it got taken the wrong way.

YT overall has gotten pretty ridiculous with all the constant commenting on other people people's beef. It's the way their algorithms work now. If you want to get views make a video criticizing someone else or comment in someone else bickering with a third party.

Admittedly, I find some of the bickering among fitness YouTubers entertaining, but overall it's getting out of hand and difficult to find actual content sometimes.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #960
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Sounds like Hidalgo was making fun of the people criticizing SWT, and it got taken the wrong way.

YT overall has gotten pretty ridiculous with all the constant commenting on other people people's beef. It's the way their algorithms work now. If you want to get views make a video criticizing someone else or comment in someone else bickering with a third party.

Admittedly, I find some of the bickering among fitness YouTubers entertaining, but overall it's getting out of hand and difficult to find actual content sometimes.
It's possible.

And it gets eyeballs, unfortunately.

They would be less common if we weren't addicted to observing drama and sensationalism, and all those clicks went toward nature videos or something wholesome and of value.

More broadly put, people are addicted to any form of emotional tension, even if it's low vibe.

It's too bad that the geek/enthusiast community has largely become complaint/rant vlogs because it gets more of a following than discussion of content/lore itself.

But that's why I like SWT, he's not nearly as bad as others. Other posters made a way bigger fuss. It's odd that they took far more offence to it than the person supposedly "targeted".
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: