Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #6661
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
He still has an awful lot of followers in the US.

Parse that however you would like.
I’ve long felt that the rock solid base of support that Trump enjoys directly correlates to the percentage of American drinking water tainted by lead.

It would explain a great many things.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #6662
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Seriously? This was nearly as bad as their rap battle ad lol. These people are so out of touch it's insane lol.
Yeah I'm not seeing the bad here. I have a daughter, this is a compilation of misogyny and sexism that I'll show her as the blueprint of those.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #6663
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Yeah I'm not seeing the bad here. I have a daughter, this is a compilation of misogyny and sexism that I'll show her as the blueprint of those.

Yeah, it was a perfectly pointed video. I can't even begin to understand how this shows "how out of touch" they are. Most bizarre take of the day and this is on the same day that I read how paying for the order behind you at a drive thru is actually a dick move AND more people agreed with that than disagreed!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #6664
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, that ad had me cutting onions. If you are a father of a young girl and still vote for Trump after seeing that ad you are a deplorable.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #6665
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Posted two pages ago, amigo.
Looked over the preceding 3 pages and didn't see it...
Old 10-17-2020, 09:09 PM   #6666
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What would Russia want with him when he’s no longer a useful idiot?
Don't have any tea at the airport, Donald!
Old 10-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #6667
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really, if Trump does end up fleeing the US, he will do so under the pretense of being the victim of the deep state and a conspiracy to steal the election. He would have a good many Americans still believing in him and that could well be used to still stir up some trouble that opponents of the US would love to see.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 10-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #6668
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
In what way? The way Trump talks to and treat women sends a horrible message.
What problem do you have with this ad?
Trump talks and treats everyone like that. To try and use women specifically to get an emotional response is so transparent. Just like their pandering to black voters with a rap battle video. Here's a novel concept. Maybe focus on trying to win votes on your own merit rather than trying to win them by default.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #6669
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trump talks and treats everyone like that. To try and use women specifically to get an emotional response is so transparent. Just like their pandering to black voters with a rap battle video. Here's a novel concept. Maybe focus on trying to win votes on your own merit rather than trying to win them by default.
It isn’t the Biden campaign or even Democrats

The specific purpose of the Lincoln project is to get Trunp out of office.

And yes Trump treats most people like dirt but there is also a clear pattern of mysogyny over and above that. Are you saying he’s not a mysogynist?

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-17-2020 at 10:09 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #6670
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t think trump is a vile misogynistic pig who has zero respect for women?
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #6671
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Although it wouldn't surprise me I am not aware of any men accusing Donny boy of rape where as Putin's monkey has multiple accusations of rape and sundry other acts of sexual assault, which possibly explains why he dances to Vlad's tune

Old 10-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #6672
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How in the hell did you manage to get your head in the sand and up your ass at the same time? The Lincoln Project is comprised of former and current Republicans who want Trump out of office since he is... ah, screw it.

Last edited by Alpha_Q; 10-18-2020 at 01:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #6673
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, there are people who think The Lincoln Project are Democrats.

####ed up but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #6674
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
In theory a former president would have access to a ton of classified information. But that would require reading the briefings.
I wonder if Trump did really flee to Russia if there’s a serious conversation about a CIA operation to minimize classified information getting out. It’s like next level movie plot lines.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #6675
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^^
I would imagine Russia has already had access to a significant level of classified info through this administration. The damage was Trump getting into office in 2016 more so than what he can do after leaving office, imo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #6676
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Trump loses do people expect that a Biden DOJ will launch/advance/re-open any investigations into Trump?

I guess I'm wondering if Biden will do what Obama was precieved to do did when he did not go after Bush administration

Quote:
In January 2009, George W. Bush left office with an abysmal 22 percent approval rating, the lowest ever recorded. Almost everyone with anything to do with his administration was considered politically toxic.

With full Democratic control of the federal government, calls came for an investigation into the scandals of the Bush administration, including torture, mass surveillance, and war profiteering. While some called for criminal prosecutions, others wanted hearings or an independent investigation that would — at minimum — put into the public record the details of who did what and when. At the least, the argument went, Democrats could ensure that the GOP had to wear the Bush administration for years; that the officials involved in wrongdoing would be written out of polite society; and that future administrations would not revert to those practices.

Obama refused. “We need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards,” he said famously on January 11, 2009, days before he took office.
https://theintercept.com/2018/10/09/...dministration/

What does 'rule of law' mean when it's not consistently applied?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #6677
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
You also cannot underestimate the weight of a disliked female candidate vs a disliked male candidate.

This is still a deeply racist and sexist country.

I've said for 4 years that a male candidate with the same qualifications and history as Clinton would have beat Trump. A male version of Hillary may not have won over a lot of voters, but likely would have been enough to beat Trump's razor thin margins in the midwest.

In other anecdotal news: I already returned my ballot here in PA, dropped it off last Tuesday, and then 24 hours later on Wednesday I got a confirmation email that it had been received. PA mail-in ballots aren't counted until election day, but it's nice to know mine is already in.

Yet another anecdote, just from being around the public in a reasonably red area of PA. There are far more people in my salon who are being vocally critical of Trump than in 2016. There are still some Trump apologists, of course, but it's a far more even mix this time around. Most clients in my chair have either said outright or implied that they have/plan to vote for Biden--though to be fair, I must give off solid Bleeding Heart Liberal vibes because I seem to have avoided/shed most conservative types.

I'm still nervous about this election and I will continue to be until it's over, but I'm less anxious about it than I was 4 years ago.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #6678
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They will let Trump off the hook. They never go after previous Presidents, it's not what western countries do.
They might go after some of the enablers, just to discourage others from doing the same in the future. Guys like Bannon, Gulliani, Barr, Miller, Lewandowski, Gorka and the rest of the scumbags. Maybe the kids and Kushner? At least I hope they do.

Last edited by Red; 10-18-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #6679
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

As Chomsky said (I paraphrase): If the rule of law was actually applied every President since WWII would be hung for crimes against humanity.

That said, it looks like Trump will have a legal reckoning at the state level, particularly NY. Considering his alleged crimes and his likely upcoming 7th (or is it 8th) bankruptcy, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually did go to a place that's a little more friendly to him. It would be just another unprecedented act of corrosion to American democracy.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #6680
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If Trump loses do people expect that a Biden DOJ will launch/advance/re-open any investigations into Trump?

I guess I'm wondering if Biden will do what Obama was precieved to do did when he did not go after Bush administration

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/09/...dministration/

What does 'rule of law' mean when it's not consistently applied?

Quote:
Obama refused. “We need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards,” he said famously on January 11, 2009, days before he took office.

I'm not a far right guy, not a conspiracy theorist and consider myself pretty grounded politically, but I certainly didn't take Obama's proclamation of "looking forward, not backwards" at face value, and I felt that was reinforced through Obama's 8 years in office.

Again, please don't take that the wrong way (both sides, many sides), Obama was one of the best presidents that country has seen, and just an incredible human being, but the idea that Democrats and specifically Obama are against things like mass surveillance, and war profiteering is not correct. A lesser of two evils? Absolutely, but not even close to innocent or some sort of heroes that will swoop in and expose and cleanse all the wrongs of a Republican administration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread