Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #6481
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The people that think Biden is incoherent are the same people that if Biden bought them pizza and beer would complain that he forgot the wings.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #6482
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Democrats haven't yet figured out that they can say whatever they want to get elected, and then have a completely different agenda once you are in power. Trump has been doing this at the highest level, and the senate, house and states are a complete gong show of lying for personal gain.

Even Canada has moved to this model, with Trudeau and Kenney.

The Dems need a kick into 21st Century corruption, in order to remain relevant.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #6483
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not sure he does. It's fun to #### all over Biden, especially when you're a jilted Bernie Bros, but Biden is doing exactly what he should be doing; staying out of the way. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon was a pretty good field general and understood this strategy. Biden, who was a gaffe machine for much of his political life, learned his lessons under Obama and has displayed a pretty impressive amount of message discipline and not get dragged into a knife fight.

On the policy argument, you can't make incredibly large swings in policy, otherwise the country will fall apart. You have to take small bites and work the process to shift norms back toward the center. Hell, getting them right of the extreme libertarian perspective would be a first step. Getting back to the center where the parties work together is likely a process that will take a generation. This is Biden's mission. Begin the shift. And the best way to do that is to allow Trump and the bat#### crazy Republicans to give you the White House, the Senate, and the House. Let them shoot themselves in the head, then walk up, dig the keys and their wallet out of the cold dead hands, and begin to implement policies and mechanisms that entrench the shift in governance. That would not have happened under anyone else, because they would have been viewed as an extremist candidate and not trusted.
So you didn't watch the video I take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #6484
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
People are still peddling the nonsense that Biden is unable to speak clearly and intelligently?
It speaks the how Trump has lowered the bar for himself that we basically ignore the diarrhea that comes out of his mouth as just "Trump being Trump". No, he's mentally ill and barely able to put coherent thoughts together. Dangerous that that has become worthy of shoulder shrugging.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 10-15-2020 at 03:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #6485
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden isn’t the best candidate ever but he’ll win this because he’s a decent candidate who’s well intentioned, honest and a good man, the polar opposite of Trump on all counts. He has the best interest of his country at heart, whereas Trump does not.

His biggest advantage is he’s not the Orange Menace. America is tired of Trump’s corruption, lies, bigotry, misogyny, and his other numerous failings. That and the fact that he’s a good candidate will bring this election home.

I can’t believe that the U.S. has spiralled into a country where a president can be bought by a foreign power, cannot be trusted to do the right thing, that his own interests take precedence over the nation’s, and we can’t trust that the election will not corrupted. It’s horrifying.

I fear that if Trump wins, this may be the last time Americans are ever able to vote for a president. I think Biden wins handily and fear that there may be a lot more violence in the streets as Trump mobilizes his gun-toting thugs. Then there is the question of what damage Trump will attempt in the weeks before the inauguration.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #6486
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The only reason Biden is staying out of the way is because he can't put together a complete sentence without making a fool of himself. He is clearly being handled.

Any coherent candidate that could speak well and has no problem being in front of the press (hello Obama) wouldn't need to 'stay out of the way.'

Sometimes I really wonder if you believe half the stuff you post.

There is way too much at stake for a Presidential candidate to 'stay out of the way' and hope my opponent hands me the election.

Unreal.
When you're enemy has a gun in his mouth and the hammer is about to break, that is not the time to interrupt them. Let them blow their head off and then just walk on by.

When polling is going hard in your favor the best thing you can do is stay on message and not do or say anything that can bite you in the ass. Polling is just building and building in Biden's favor, why do or say anything to alter that momentum? When Trump is saying and doing everything to turn voters off, why would you take the spotlight off his stupidity? I mean, you have to be a fool not to recognize the meltdown Trump is having and do anything to get in the way of that. Let it happen and be ready to pick up the pieces.

There's a time to talk and a time to listen. Biden should be in listen mode. If he is doing any talking, it should be in the swing states and reinforcing Trump's own words and countering with how his Presidency would be different from the terms of the Trump admin. Biden should be doing nothing but counter punching. Trump is flailing away and burning what energy and money he has left at an alarming weight. There is a time to come off the ropes and land the knockout punch, but it isn't that time yet. Last 10 days you come off the ropes, but until then, let Trump flail and burn himself out. It's why the surrogates have been very quiet as well.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #6487
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I've posted it before, but if the Democrats go back to the neoliberal policies of the Obama and Clinton administrations, and do nothing to solve the rampant inequality in the country and the entrenched corporate aristocracy/oligarchy, we're going to be right back here in 4-8 years with another (likely worse) version of Trump.
Maybe. But I think that if there is any remotely smart people in the republican party you can realize that rolling out about as moderate as a candidate as you can for 2024 is probably a shoe in for victory.

So I expect a worse Trump in 2024.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #6488
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually love cashews and peanuts. I'm not a huge fan of hazel nuts or Brazil nuts though. Other than that, I thought his points about Trump vs. Biden were pretty accurate.

On a different note, GOP Sen. Sasse was recorded bashing Trump in a phone call with a constituent. He has been critical of Trump in the past, but seemed to go silent after Trump recently endorsed him.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ictators-butts

Quote:
Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) blasted President Trump saying he “mistreats women,” “kisses dictators’ butts” and privately mocks evangelical to constituents in a recording obtained by the Washington Examiner.

In a telephone town hall with constituents, a woman asks Sasse why he “[has] to criticize [Trump] so much.”

In response, Sasse pointed to areas in which he agrees with Trump, then criticizes the president’s response to the coronavirus, although he also accuses the media of having “pretended that COVID is literally the first public health crisis ever. And somehow, it’s Donald Trump’s fault. That’s not true. They just wanted to use it against him.”

“But the reality is that he careened from curb to curb. First, he ignored COVID. And then he went into full economic shutdown mode. He was the one who said 10 to 14 days of shutdown would fix this,” Sasse added. “And that was always wrong. I mean, and so I don't think the way he's lead through COVID has been reasonable or responsible, or right.”

Sasse goes on to criticize the president’s handling of international human rights issues, accusing him of ignoring China’s treatment of both Hong Kong citizens and the Uighur ethnic minority.

"The United States now regularly sells out our allies under his leadership, the way he treats women, spends like a drunken sailor. The ways I criticize President Obama for that kind of spending; I've criticized President Trump for as well,” Sasse said. “He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a business opportunity. He's flirted with white supremacists."
Old 10-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #6489
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

A lot of Republicans weren't exactly aboard the Trump train back in 2016.

They just sold out as soon as he got elected and got a ticket.

Will be interesting to see how they'll react once the election is over.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #6490
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who is going into the fetal position first on Nov 3rd? Rubecube or Azure?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #6491
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I don't get this.

Sure I've been critical of Biden. I've also been critical of Trump way before the 2020 election rolled around. Just like I've been critical of Obama and Bush before them.

Are we not allowed to be critical of candidates? Or just not the candidates you like? Must be nice living in an echo chamber.

As for Rube, I find what you said amusing because me and Rube have clashed for years and years over politics and now suddenly we're getting grouped together.

Just goes to show you have zero clue what you're talking about. As usual.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #6492
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So you didn't watch the video I take it.
Yeah, I did. From his cashew reference, to the lifeboat reference, to his #### Joe Biden, but #### Donald Trump more rant. Mildly entertaining, but nothing informative or insightful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #6493
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Just goes to show you have zero clue what you're talking about. As usual.
Bertuzzied gonna Bertuzzied.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #6494
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I finally am feeling optimistic that the election will be such a landslide that the efforts to corrupt it and dispute results will be unsuccessful, but I agree that unless there are efforts to fix the underlying problems of the system, having control of all three branches of government will only be a temporary relief in the deterioration of the US. The fact that it may take an overwhelming and historic turnout just to prevent the outright collapse of the rule of law and democratic institutions is an indicator of the power imbalance between the electorate and private interests. The grip of private interests has been set up over decades and it's not letting go without some great effort being taken to shift the balance of power towards the electorate.

I so, so hope that we see the US shift hard towards strengthening democratic institutions with integrity. I'm skeptical of how it will play out though. If democrats can get hold of power, they're going to be facing a lot of big problems as soon as they get in, including the potential for another financial system disaster that will put them under all kinds of pressure to put integrity to the side for the sake of fixing a crisis. Still, I want to believe that this can be the turning point that sees liberal democracy and rule of law get back to good health.
The problem is a landslide victory for Biden plays exactly into Trump's plans. As a matter of fact I think some of the crazy crap he is pulling is to help that become a reality. Why? So he can say after the count how impossible it is and to look at all the people at his rally's and that there is obviously fraudulent ballots and the overwhelming numbers prove it. He has said multiple times he expects the Supreme Court to settle the election, not the voters. There is no scenario minus him shockingly winning the vote fairly where he doesn't cry foul and challenge the results. None. That is why he is pushing Barrett to be confirmed before election day. It is so bloody obvious how he is trying to stay in office. If he loses the election by a landslide and the Supreme Court awards him president again the US becomes a wasteland of violence. That is why I think Trump's plan will backfire because the Court despite being stacked in his favour is not going to allow that to happen. It will be the end of Democracy. They can't possibly let that happen....can they?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #6495
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It speaks the how Trump has lowered the bar for himself that we basically ignore the diarrhea that comes out of his mouth as just "Trump being Trump". No, he's mentally ill and barely able to put coherent thoughts together. Dangerous that that has become worthy of shoulder shrugging.
Who is shrugging their shoulders?

All of this is very amusing. I hope Biden wins, I really do. But I also hope that the media and his fellow politicians hold him accountable to actually doing something once he is elected, and work towards solving some of the bigger issues facing the US, because this echo chamber type of politics where you are not allowed to say something critical about another candidate lest you get grouped into 'fetal positions' stupidity surely has run its course.

Given what has been happening with the media and many others, I doubt anything will change. If people are not alarmed over this type of behavior (both from the left & right), I suspect they are in for the shock of their lives 2 years into the Biden Presidency when they'll wake up and realize not much as changed. The rich are getting richer and inequality is as strong as ever.

You don't change that unless you are highly critical of political candidates and expect them to abide by the people's wishes. Biden has been in politics for 40 years. Do you think he's there to change stuff or simply run out his career? Because echo chamber politics means he'll just run out his career and nothing will change.

Rube has done a much better job than I at pointing this out, but now suddenly we've been label as the fetal position gang. Someone I literally have never agreed with on anything relating to politics, but because we dare say something critical of a political candidate we get grouped and labeled. At least Lanny attempts to call out my ##### rather than just resort to half baked attempts at partisan stupidity. Most of the time at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #6496
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Why? It's pretty much a foregone conclusion Trump is going to lose, we're all just waiting to see how he tries to steal it.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #6497
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yeah, I did. From his cashew reference, to the lifeboat reference, to his #### Joe Biden, but #### Donald Trump more rant. Mildly entertaining, but nothing informative or insightful.
I dunno, I thought all the stuff about the slow descend into fascism was pretty good. Obviously if you have a background in history or political theory, it's nothing new, but it's good, entry-level stuff for those who don't have those backgrounds.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #6498
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Why? It's pretty much a foregone conclusion Trump is going to lose, we're all just waiting to see how he tries to steal it.
That and all of the fall out: will he try to destroy the country, will he defect to Russia, what criminal charges might be coming, if charges will be laid against his family and co-conspirators, and so on?

“May you live in interest times.”
Old 10-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #6499
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That and all of the fall out: will he try to destroy the country, will he defect to Russia, what criminal charges might be coming, if charges will be laid against his family and co-conspirators, and so on?

“May you live in interest times.”
Whats the best thing for the USA? For them to go hard for charges for stuff and going after his family? Or cutting a deal for him to go quietly and any investigations are dropped? I think the latter is better for the Country but I don't know it happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #6500
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best is to let Trump walk in exchange for sacrificing his kids to jail, because everyone can live with that.