Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #3161
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Mangiapane at 2x2.75 and Kylington at 1x850k puts us 10k under the cap filling everything else out at league minimum:

Spoiler!

I won't be at all surprised if this how we start the year. I'm not convinced we can move Ryan easily enough to replace him with a similarly good 10th forward and also improve the other depth players...hands seem otherwise tied (except for bigger moves)
Yeah I don’t care what Treliving has said in the media, I think Rittich is gone. I don’t see many buyers for Ryan, mostly due to the C depth on some of the teams I would think would be interested.

I think they move him due to circumstance, and bring in another low hit goalie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #3162
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Josh Leivo for under a mil would be great for this team. He would help fill out the bottom six taking some pressure off the rookies ( that we hope will crack the roster). The fact that he plays with pace and is a right shot is a bonus.
I think there is some serious concern re his fractured knee cap injury in December. It was supposed to be a 2-3 month recovery. Complications and did not return.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #3163
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I think there is some serious concern re his fractured knee cap injury in December. It was supposed to be a 2-3 month recovery. Complications and did not return.
For sure, it wouldn't be more than an affordable depth move. As much as a top 6 addition would help, it is our bottom six that is desperately in need. Of course a top six addition would bop players down the depth chart helping this problem out, I am just skeptical that this is possible given the cap situation.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #3164
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Hartley was the last coach that set up a system that played to Johnny's strengths. He allowed Hudler or Brodie to carry the puck in on the right side.

Since GG, dump and chase has become a part of the repertoire, and even last year the entire offensive zone plan was for Johnny to carry the puck in, and if he lost it then they were to grind in the corners. That is recipe for failure.

I wonder what Monahan carrying the puck even looks like?
We haven’t seen much of Lindholm on zone entries, either. Perhaps the line is just stale and more easily defended, as a result.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #3165
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah I don’t care what Treliving has said in the media, I think Rittich is gone. I don’t see many buyers for Ryan, mostly due to the C depth on some of the teams I would think would be interested.

I think they move him due to circumstance, and bring in another low hit goalie.

I’m not sure the market would be for Riitch. Hard to gauge the goalie market these days. But as you say, lots of low cost goalie options out there, which makes Riitch harder to move without taking equivalent cap back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #3166
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what is so absurd about the theory that Johnny has become predictable. I think most of us can predict what he's going to do in a lot of cases.
Elite offensive players constantly adjust and add new moves/approaches to generate chances? Do we think Johnny has done this?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #3167
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Soderberg is definitely my favorite NHL Carl, followed by Gunnarsson and Hagelin. That's my list of top 3 NHL Carls.
That's a hot take...
Old 10-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #3168
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
That's a hot take...
Some on this board won't like it, ranking the NHL Carls as I have.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #3169
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't know what is so absurd about the theory that Johnny has become predictable. I think most of us can predict what he's going to do in a lot of cases.
Elite offensive players constantly adjust and add new moves/approaches to generate chances? Do we think Johnny has done this?
Perhaps not but his linemates are turning into cyphers, also.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #3170
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it's probably unfair to compare him to Crosby but when Crosby was becoming a bit too predictable as a playmaker he decided to go out and win the Rocket Richard.

Unless you're Ovechkin and can score 50+ goals a year from the same spot, you're going to need to change your game and I don't think the top line has done so enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #3171
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet, most don't

Did Huselius ever change? Or Tanguay? Or a hundred other guys that I could list?

Most players keep doing their thing. I think there are two problems with Gaudreau:

1) injuries - he has gotten more tentative after getting his hands hacked so much

2) THE LINE is stale.

I don't think either are permanent
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #3172
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So a third move then outside of buttonhook at the face off dot or drive the net and shoot short side high?
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #3173
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So a third move then outside of buttonhook at the face off dot or drive the net and shoot short side high?
Hey now, there's also the wrap around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #3174
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Hey now, there's also the wrap around.
And backhand 5 hole on breakaways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #3175
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And yet, most don't

Did Huselius ever change? Or Tanguay? Or a hundred other guys that I could list?

Most players keep doing their thing. I think there are two problems with Gaudreau:

1) injuries - he has gotten more tentative after getting his hands hacked so much

2) THE LINE is stale.

I think #1 might be a bigger issue. I can imagine that it would be a pretty hard thing to get over mentally.

I know we are supposed to be phasing out the goonery, but I would play Lucic with Gaudreau for a solid block of games and instruct him to literally beat the crap out of any player that touches Gaudreau. Just protect the hell out of him for a while to give him a reprieve from all that nonsense and see if that helps him.

And yes, I mean literally. I want to see the other play #### in their pants while Lucic throttles them.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #3176
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet, most don't

2) THE LINE is stale.

Honestly to me last year the issue was his skating.

Don't know if he had an injury or maybe just didn't have a great offseason plan but his skating just wasn't dynamic anymore.

It was noticeable from pretty much the start of the season but he wasn't able to use his feet to create separation or get a step on the d-men and it killed his effectiveness 5v5.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #3177
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Its like the predictable drop back play on the PP. Teams do it even though if they would not be so committed to it there are times when you can see that they could gain the offensive zone easily. Creativity doesnt come from being predictable and repetitious
Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #3178
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think #1 might be a bigger issue. I can imagine that it would be a pretty hard thing to get over mentally.

I know we are supposed to be phasing out the goonery, but I would play Lucic with Gaudreau for a solid block of games and instruct him to literally beat the crap out of any player that touches Gaudreau. Just protect the hell out of him for a while to give him a reprieve from all that nonsense and see if that helps him.

And yes, I mean literally. I want to see the other play #### in their pants while Lucic throttles them.

Playing Lucic with Johnny will neutralize Johnny’s offence faster than any hacking done on a Johnny.

The other team will just say thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #3179
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet, most don't

Most players keep doing their thing.
That's great if he's a complimentary player like Huselius (who I think did change) and Tanguay. But he's not, or at least we hope not.

Real stars, the ones who you can build around, do change. Iginla changed his multiple times. Of course Yzerman is the prime example even if he disagrees.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #3180
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That's great if he's a complimentary player like Huselius (who I think did change) and Tanguay. But he's not, or at least we hope not.

Real stars, the ones who you can build around, do change. Iginla changed his multiple times. Of course Yzerman is the prime example even if he disagrees.
Well Gaudreau has changed too. Everyone changes to a degree. But very few change all that significantly.
Closed Thread