Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #2641
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Valimaki's decision making is really impressive, seems to make the right decision every time. Plays like a vet.

I really hope the year off hasn't derailed him.
Yup, I know those are just the highlights but he is better than what I remembered.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #2642
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki is a game changer. Remember that open ice hit against Colorado? Came out of nowhere. And IIRC we took that game.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #2643
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if ownership would allow Treliving to go out and acquire Dubinsky and use his LTIR cap hit to go over the cap, similar to what Toronto has done in the past with Clarkson and Horton.

It would give the team some flexibility.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #2644
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

What about Andreas Athanasiou?

He's young, listed as a Center, but seems to be better on wing, prior to the Greasers, he put up some decent numbers, however, I don't have any idea what line he was on. 4th line here? Maybe some spot PP2 time?

I know some have already said no way, but I'm curious as to why.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #2645
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with trading for Gallagher is that Montreal is hooped with the cap, so they can't bring back more salary than than they are shipping out. And Gallagher is only $3.75M this year.

So Montreal needs to take back less than $3.75M.

But that doesn't really work for the Flames. Also, Gallagher is going to be north of $5M next year, so the cap problems get worse.

Instead of trading for him now, let's see how Montreal does this season - maybe he'll be available at the deadline. He is an ideal rental.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #2646
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I wonder if ownership would allow Treliving to go out and acquire Dubinsky and use his LTIR cap hit to go over the cap, similar to what Toronto has done in the past with Clarkson and Horton.

It would give the team some flexibility.
How does this give us flexibility?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #2647
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If we don’t play Kylington in the top 6 we may as well trade him.

He needs ice time to keep improving and he has said himself he played his whole life, before coming to Stockton, on the right side.

This kid has good potential still.
Yeah, after I typed it, I circled back to Kylington in my head.

It's time to #### or get off the pot with him. And I certainly don't mind Valimaki-Kylington as the 3rd pair.

My concern is that, without another Dman, we have no depth. Next up are Mackey (not ready) and Petrovic.

And we could see more injuries this year, with the condensed schedule, than we usually see. Defensive and goaltending depth are going to be crutial.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #2648
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How does this give us flexibility?
It would allow us to go over the cap by Dubinsky's cap hit. Mainly this would only be an option if they are still looking at adding a UFA like Hoffman, Dadonov or Vatanen.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #2649
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with trading for Gallagher is that Montreal is hooped with the cap, so they can't bring back more salary than than they are shipping out. And Gallagher is only $3.75M this year.

So Montreal needs to take back less than $3.75M.

But that doesn't really work for the Flames. Also, Gallagher is going to be north of $5M next year, so the cap problems get worse.

Instead of trading for him now, let's see how Montreal does this season - maybe he'll be available at the deadline. He is an ideal rental.
Losing Gallagher because of that Anderson contract would be such a Bergevin thing to do.

I bet it's just the agent trying to put pressure on a GM anyway. They'll have some space next season with Allen gone, but a lot of guys they need to re-sign. Will be interesting to follow
Old 10-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #2650
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It's time to #### or get off the pot with him. And I certainly don't mind Valimaki-Kylington as the 3rd pair.

My concern is that, without another Dman, we have no depth. Next up are Mackey (not ready) and Petrovic.

And we could see more injuries this year, with the condensed schedule, than we usually see. Defensive and goaltending depth are going to be crutial.
Yelesin too but yes, I agree we need to add some more depth on defence to be #7 and/or provide more depth in Stockton.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #2651
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hanifin/Valimaki - Andersson/Tanev
Hanifin/Valimaki - Andersson/Tanev
Gio - XXX

That's going to be our defense in a few years, assuming Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki take the next step. Depending on how Valimaki progresses, at minimum 3/4 of our top4 will be making less than $5M AAV. If we trade away Hanifin, not only do we not have anyone internally who can reliably replace his 20mins a night, but any viable replacement via trade or UFA signing will probably cost more than what he's making.
Given his age, progression and contract, I think it's extremely short sighted to trade him away right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #2652
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
What about Andreas Athanasiou?

He's young, listed as a Center, but seems to be better on wing, prior to the Greasers, he put up some decent numbers, however, I don't have any idea what line he was on. 4th line here? Maybe some spot PP2 time?

I know some have already said no way, but I'm curious as to why.
I think he is definitely worth a look if we could get him around $1M.

Great on the 4th line and can move up for injury coverage. And good insurance at C.

Also, moar London Knights!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #2653
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

With how high the Flames are on Mackey, it wouldn't shock me if he was full time with the big team before then end of the season. Man we have a lot of left side d men.

Maybe they'll listen to Oliver and play him on the right side a la Brodie. But I think they want that lefty righty set up top to bottom of the d corps. Maybe they move him for an RFA RHD D.

Same is Mangi. I just don't see the Flames prioritizing him.over Tkachuk and Johnny. I think you can debate who stays in CGY longer between Dube and Mangi, but I feel like Dube is about to explode.

Mangiapane still feels like the odd man out to me.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #2654
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Has anyone shown any serious interest at all in Hamonic? Maybe the Flames can flip him 1 year at 2 mill or something lol.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2655
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Has anyone shown any serious interest at all in Hamonic? Maybe the Flames can flip him 1 year at 2 mill or something lol.
I rather give the 1 year contract to vatannen
Old 10-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2656
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Think we might only get an 11th round pick for the UFA.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #2657
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder what Ceci would cost to bring in to the fold. If you can get him for $1M for 1 year then I think he’d be the ideal fit for the 6/7 spot based on his age and style of play.

Team still needs a bigger dman, that’s a bit physical, and who can play on the PK more than a PP QB like Vatanen IMO.

LH:
Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington

RH:
Andersson
Tanev
Ceci

Kylington/Ceci are your 6/7 and first call up is likely Mackey...I’d be okay with that dcore .

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-13-2020 at 05:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #2658
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Hanifin - Andersson

Giordano - Kylington

Valimaki - Tanev
Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki/Kylington - Veteran 5/6 acquisition
Old 10-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #2659
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sami Vatanen - Finnish, RHS, experienced

He would be a perfect partner for Valimaki, IMO

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Vatanen
Kylington

would make me very happy
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #2660
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybean View Post
Think we might only get an 11th round pick for the UFA.
For the Flames to sign him to a 1 year deal for depth? Skim less my friend.
Closed Thread