Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 AM   #6541
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ so let me catch up here with these last few posts

Kessel is a complementary player that can’t singlehanded save Toronto but can win with Crosby and Malkin. And Gaudreau has exactly which expectations again, informed by context?
CONTEXT and coles notes

The whole thing started with this comment

"I just don’t see anyone taking JG on considering his reputation as a non playoff player mixed with the flat cap."

Laughable

Then I went on to ask what PPG player had been traded recently?

I was told Kessel from the guy that made the initial comment which I thought was kinda ironic since I see them as similar players but at different stages of their careers.

Then I said Gaudreau certainly has more value then Kessel did last summer and even bet a beer on it. If Gaudreau is traded he will certainly fetch more than Kessel did. That is all
Old 09-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #6542
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
On HFCanucks. Maybe not this year but certainly in the past.
He hasn't had an issue with early soft goals for almost two years now. The issue was he would let the first shot or one of the first shots of the game in. Then around Christmas 2018 when we were platooning him and Nilsson, he figured it out and has been the Canucks MVP ever since.

Make no mistake, he has been a top level goalie for the last two seasons.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 AM   #6543
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

the Athletic has a list of 22 players that could be moved in the offseason. The only Flames player on the list? Noah Hanifin at 18. Article says moving Monahan or Gaudreau does not appear to be a priority and if they re-sign Brodie and Valimaki returning, they could have the flexibility to move Hanifin to get better.

https://theathletic.com/2072164/2020...ard-offseason/
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #6544
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
the Athletic has a list of 22 players that could be moved in the offseason. The only Flames player on the list? Noah Hanifin at 18. Article says moving Monahan or Gaudreau does not appear to be a priority and if they re-sign Brodie and Valimaki returning, they could have the flexibility to move Hanifin to get better.

I think this means moving one of those two is not the focus. But it shouldn’t be. Reading this statement in the context of what Elliotte Friedman has said, I think Treliving is taking calls but won’t move Gaudreau or Monahan just to make a change. He’s waiting for someone to knock his socks off. In that sense, it’s not something he’s planning to do.

In other news, I really like Phillip Danault. If he was part of a package for Gaudreau or Monahan, I’d be very happy.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #6545
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since Guerin is not gonna hold onto Galchenyuk, I think the Flames should look into the situation. He has 320 points in 549 games. That’s 47 points per 82 games played.

That’s a buy low candidate if I’ve ever seen one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #6546
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That sure goes against popular thinking.

But if re-signing Brodie and trading Hanifin+ for forward help is an option, I'm interested.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #6547
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only Flames player on the list? Noah Hanifin at 18. Article says moving Monahan or Gaudreau does not appear to be a priority and if they re-sign Brodie and Valimaki returning, they could have the flexibility to move Hanifin to get better.

Yikes if that's the off season plan not a fan....
Old 09-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #6548
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Since Guerin is not gonna hold onto Galchenyuk, I think the Flames should look into the situation. He has 320 points in 549 games. That’s 47 points per 82 games played.

That’s a buy low candidate if I’ve ever seen one.
I don’t see where he fits on this team - or any team really. He’s been kicked around the league because he doesn’t compete. Ottawa makes sense as a reclamation project, but I don’t see where he goes and actually works out at this stage.

I’ll be happy if we retain both Johnny and Sean - one down year that was an off-year for almost the entire team is not the time to overreact and ship out some of your top players.

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-17-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #6549
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the lesson from Kessel is that a talented guy who is perhaps expected to do too much is still valuable in a trade, provided he goes to a team where he can step into a more appropriate role.

So for JG that means where and for how much?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #6550
BigJim
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has there been any indication that Brodie even wants to re-sign in Calgary? I thought, due to the health of his wife and child, he would more than likely want to head east.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #6551
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So the lesson from Kessel is that a talented guy who is perhaps expected to do too much is still valuable in a trade, provided he goes to a team where he can step into a more appropriate role.

So for JG that means where and for how much?
Such a player could also be valuable without being traded. IMO the moral of the story is don't build around Phil Kessel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #6552
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

They brought up Ristolinen on the FAN this morning.

Pinder said he knows for a fact the Flames were kicking tires at the deadline. Boomer followed up saying he knows the Oilers were also sniffing around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #6553
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't have access to the article but it seems like it is an aggregated view across all teams, written by someone probably not actually close to any one team. Thus, for instance, seems to be unaware of the low probability that Brodie re-signs.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #6554
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They brought up Ristolinen on the FAN this morning.

Pinder said he knows for a fact the Flames were kicking tires at the deadline. Boomer followed up saying he knows the Oilers were also sniffing around.
RHS defenceman good for over 40 points every year, who you might be able to get on a bargain. Why not sniff around.

Not sure he’d fit with Hanifin though - too dire defensively as a pairing. Maybe with Gio and move Andersson to see if he and Hanifin can become something.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #6555
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Risto on the Flames might not be as bad as some believe. If he's not the top guy (like he was expected to be in BUF) he could thrive in a more sheltered role. He's got a bomb of a shot and has some snarl to his game. I think I read somewhere he was amongst the leaders in hits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #6556
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a pairing of countrymen Valimaki-Ristolinen

Interesting yesterday when I heard Pinder talking about the need for the Flames to get Valimaki top 4 ice time. That could be why we hear Hanifin’s name in the rumor mill?

My thoughts are if a top 4 RHD is acquired and the plan is to move Valimaki into the second pairing the Flames better have a solid number 5 that can slide into that top 4 if Valimaki is injured/in over his head
Old 09-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #6557
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If Hanifin option to move, Who is looking for defense?

WIN - as indicated in article possible targets - Laine or Ehlers

TO - Nylander, f. Andersen

Not sure who else is looking for Defense.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #6558
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wait so the Flames, despite all those stories to the contrary (granted they were all from Burke) are looking at Risto despite Chris Snow, who they may or may not actually listen to * cough, Neal, cough * saying they should steer clear?

Da F?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #6559
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

Edmonton hahaha.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #6560
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

Some interesting names on that list for sure.

Laine
Ehlers
Anderson x2
Kuemper
Hall (negotiating rights)
Zadorov

They also mention that Calgary could be a team to watch for something major in the next month or so.
Closed Thread