Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #3981
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if posted elsewhere.

Here's an article on a minority being assaulted in our own backyard (well garbage dump):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5640970

Eight Edmonton police assault a person shopping. Punching him in the face, putting a bag on his head and hogtieing him while he yells out that he can't breath. Oh yeah, and an officer wiped his boots on his face.

Worse, the person who was merely trying to record was clearly prevented by doing so by multiple officers. Then he was arrested and charged for obstruction.

So what did the original guy do? Must be pretty heinous to have eight officers rush him like that.

Nothing. Someone swapped plates with him. Shopping while (part) Black.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #3982
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always film the police. Every single chance you get. I hope every one of those cops is fired. The guys blocking the camera are just pure scum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #3983
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scum bag? For trying to be professional giving privacy to assailant and arresting officers?
Deserves to be fired?
Lol I would love someone to follow you around at work with a recording device and see how long it would take to get you fired for incompetence.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #3984
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The guys blocking the camera are just pure scum.
Instant admission of guilt I don't know how it can be anything else.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #3985
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Scum bag? For trying to be professional giving privacy to assailant and arresting officers?
Deserves to be fired?
Lol I would love someone to follow you around at work with a recording device and see how long it would take to get you fired for incompetence.
You can't be serious can you? Privacy? What a ####ing joke.

I can guarantee you can video me or 99.99% of the people at their jobs and go years before capturing a crime. Give the cops 10 minutes then hold their beer.

The only "assailant" in that video was the cops. They gang tackled a guy getting a drink and slammed his head on the ground and punched him. For what you ask? Having plates that someone else put on his car from a stolen vehicle. That cad.

Give your head a shake.

Last edited by Titan; 07-08-2020 at 08:28 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #3986
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?
Do I get to kill people and keep my job? Because then yeah please follow me around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #3987
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?
Guys at the movie theater are doing their jobs bad like this *puts too much butter on popcorn*

Guys in the police force are doing their jobs bad like this *intentionally murders pre-pubescent black child and laughs about it back at the station*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #3988
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Do I get to kill people and keep my job? Because then yeah please follow me around.
You were actually the 0.01% I was thinking of...
Old 07-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #3989
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?
Which one are you in the video?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #3990
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Instant admission of guilt I don't know how it can be anything else.
Exactly.

And sure, there are situations where it may not be appropriate for people to be filming in the name of privacy (AED use, of a severely wounded/dead body for example) and police calming asking a member of the public to stop, while providing some type of reasoning makes sense.

But we know this isn’t that. It’s clearly not that. He’s childishly getting in the way because they are assaulting someone. I’m sure if you polled everyone who gets arrested 100% of them will say they wish the arrest was filmed.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #3991
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?

Trust me. There's no way in hell that "assailant" wanted to be beaten half to death in private.

And cops deserve no privacy what so ever in any way shape or form in the line of duty. In fact it is your duty as a citizen to film them whenever you get the chance.

Also I don't have a job. You can't fire me.

-----The George Floyd cop body cam footage was released. The dialogue is horrible...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53343967
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #3992
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a more cowardly argument, blocking the camera because of privacy concerns. The only concern here is to conceal the actions of the police officers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #3993
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

And one of the officers was female. It just keeps getting better.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #3994
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

All I can say is I'm glad so much focus is being put on police, because it's clear there's a systemic problem and it seems to be getting worse, not better.
It's time we take another look at how we police in this country and reducing funding might be the catalyst for change we need, because it seems trying to hold them accountable with evidence like video isn't working. It's been almost 30 years since the Rodney King video, and we're still seeing the same behaviour as we did then.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #3995
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?
Yes, because the first victim clearly wanted his privacy while crying out in pain. In fact you call hear him say "Please respect my privacy while I get beat up, brain damaged, degraded, and nearly killed by a bunch of thugs."

Oh no wait, he calls the cameraman a hero.

While I'm sure Weitz and ||Whiteout|| will be here in no time to agree with you that these police officers were just doing their jobs as evident by the cameraman being charged, it's entirely obvious that these thugs are absolute scum.

The only thing I agree with you is that these cops shouldn't be fired. They should be imprisoned for assault, kidnapping, obstruction, and falsifying police reports just like anyone else would if they assaulted and kidnapped a couple innocent people.

The guy got charged, had to stay in jail, had to hire a lawyer, had this court case looming over him and realistically if something happens to his phone causing the video to be deleted, he's very likely screwed. Hell, he's probably still screwed if the media doesn't pick up on the story. All because some cops thought it would be fun to attack an innocent minority. And the absolute very best outcome is that WE get to pay for it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 PM   #3996
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand some people find Cody Johnston obnoxious, but I find him fair and balanced.

NSFW!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 PM   #3997
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Deserves to be fired?
Most places of employment have cameras..... what kind of stupid argument is this.

This morning some of use are sharing personal stories of blatant police harassment and how we were grateful it never turned out the way it did for that man and you have the ####ing nerve to come and defend them?

Save this bull#### for the next Klan rally.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 12:06 AM   #3998
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Most places of employment have cameras..... what kind of stupid argument is this.

This morning some of use are sharing personal stories of blatant police harassment and how we were grateful it never turned out the way it did for that man and you have the ####ing nerve to come and defend them?

Save this bull#### for the next Klan rally.
Most places of employment have, at the very least, some measures for compliance.

Whether its cameras or firewalls or going all the way to software on employee's computers or even if its just time-clocks to make sure their employees are there.

The fact is...Police shouldnt be afraid of Body-Cams or being recorded...they should welcome it. It should be concrete validation for them.

The fact that it isnt...well that appears to be largely on them. And its telling.

But hell...the eyes of the entire world are on Police right now and they are acting like they couldnt care less.

Jackbooting into protests, pepper spraying and tear-gassing people seemingly with complete abandon. All while the world watches.

Thats the thing though and I think MBates said it well. We watch, but we dont demand action. They've been caught red-handed now, over and over and over and over and they just continue completely unabated and unfazed.

No actual, real consequences.

And it kills me to think this way. I've rarely had anything but respect for the Police but this type of behaviour cannot be allowed to continue and it appears all reasonable and moderate avenues have been exhausted and I have learned that perhaps a large part of my positive interactions have to do with the colour of my skin.

Boots have to be put to asses. Asses which are used to being those wearing those boots. Its going to be painful. Its going to be humiliating. I dont think anyone wants any of those things to be attributed to Police. I dont want to hurt them. I dont want to humiliate them. I want to respect them. Again. But its been lost and I feel as though we're being left with little other choice.

Whatever happened to 'To Protect and Serve?'

Instead of our Protectors and Friends that they were supposed to be, they've turned into the Bullies they were supposed to protect us from.

But we let them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #3999
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If people want to have a glimpse of how rioting happens, take a look at me in this thread.

I started off fairly level headed. But as more and more happens, I get more and more upset by what I see. I feel like people coming in and defending the police in blatant acts of unjust violence are telling me I don't ####ing matter, that if it happened to me they would be saying the same ####ing thing. Then I get pulled over, have my rights violated for no other reason than being responsible and protecting the safety of my friends and anyone they could have hurt if they drove drunk. Now someone is defending police for hiding their villainous actions?

I am a peaceful man, I am against physical conflict. But I'm at the point where if someone said to me the #### Azure and Yoho have said in person, I'm putting a mother####ing brick through their window.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #4000
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel helpless. I feel marginalized. I feel hated.

What do I do? Being a good person for my entire life doesn't seem to matter. Getting an education and being the first person in my family to go to college doesn't matter. Working hard and keeping my head down doesn't seem to matter. Hell, I got ####ing stabbed protecting a white co-worker.

What do we have to do to be treated like human ####ing beings. What? Please tell us. because we would love to know.
Closed Thread