Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #1481
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So a bit more on the Insurrection act being invoked by Trump..

Letitia James the AG of the state of NY is on MSNBC and flat out states that the feds cannot go into individual states to enforce state laws unless requested by the sitting Governor.

Said that (paraphrasing) if it is even attempted that she and other AG's (assuming other states?) will meet him at the steps of the courthouse (didnt say whether Fed or state level) and have it quashed before it ever begins.

I honestly dont believe that its anything more than a hollow threat unless some of the governors ask for military help and even then they would only be allowed to act upon those breaking federal laws.....looting and rioting etc is all under state purview if i understood her correctly.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #1482
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

I've mostly not had time to keep up today as I prepare to return to work on Friday, so I've got a few things to catch up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Watching these... man, what a country.

I assume those comments from above about bad apples and orchards also apply to protesters. Lot's of filming with their cameras, but not a lot of action.
You know what I have seen, however?

I've seen many protesters trying to stop those who are rioting. I've seen protesters telling people to stop damaging property. I've seen leaders of these moments flat out calling out those who are using these protests as a way to create violence and chaos.

I haven't seen nearly enough police officers speaking against the actions of their fellow officers. I sure haven't seen any officers stopping one of their own in the midst of some vile abuse of force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
How do you know these people aren't donating money to causes related to the movement? That they aren't spending time researching the issues? That they aren't confronting casual racism amongst friends and family?
You see someone posting a black square and automatically label them slacktivist.

Would you rather people list what they're doing to be an ally for POC?
The Minnesota Freedom Fund has asked people to start donating elsewhere because they are overwhelmed with the support they've received. Obviously some of these people are putting their literal money where their mouth is.

Beyond that, yes, slacktivism sucks, and there are plenty of people who will do no more than post a black square. But there are others who might see this and start thinking, doing research, and decide to mobilize. And you don't have to be on a front line of a protest to be 'doing something.' Yes, protesting is the most obvious way, but contacting governmental representatives helps, donating to causes helps, supporting black businesses helps. Even little things, like calling it out when your racist uncle says something offensive at Christmas dinner--they're all steps in the right direction.

And even something as little as this weak slacktivism, you never know what young, impressionable person is looking at this and hell, even if they just wanna be part of the crowd right now, they may eventually do more. It's not enough, but it's not nothing either.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #1483
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was negligent of the officer and the death was an accident, Can't see the officer getting convicted of murder.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #1484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So a bit more on the Insurrection act being invoked by Trump..

Letitia James the AG of the state of NY is on MSNBC and flat out states that the feds cannot go into individual states to enforce state laws unless requested by the sitting Governor.

Said that (paraphrasing) if it is even attempted that she and other AG's (assuming other states?) will meet him at the steps of the courthouse (didnt say whether Fed or state level) and have it quashed before it ever begins.

I honestly dont believe that its anything more than a hollow threat unless some of the governors ask for military help and even then they would only be allowed to act upon those breaking federal laws.....looting and rioting etc is all under state purview if i understood her correctly.

I'm going to stand corrected Bush had added an ammendment to the 1807 Insurrection Act in 2007 when he wanted to send in troops to help after Hurricane Katrina and Louisiana refused. That lead to Bush creating the John Warner Defense Act of 2007 which stated that the president could send in troops without State consent if the President felt that the Governor wasn't handling the crisis properly or without corruption.

I didn't see that the Warner Defense Act was repealed in 2008.

So this does open a discussion that if Trump tries to send in the Military using the Insurrection Act without consulting or receiving a request for Troops from the State that it could be construed as an illegal Order.

I was wrong on my first interpretation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #1485
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
It was negligent of the officer and the death was an accident, Can't see the officer getting convicted of murder.
Lol what?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #1486
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Starting to see some backlash/change already perhaps?

Quote:
State Sen. Randy Feenstra defeated incumbent Rep. Steve King in Tuesday's Republican primary for Iowa's 4th congressional district, according to the Cook Political Report.

Why it matters: King's history of racist remarks has made him one of the most controversial politicians in the country and a pariah within the Republican Party.
https://www.axios.com/steve-king-iow...ce72efcdf.html
Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #1487
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Almost as despicable as this?
Probably more related to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjia...ducation_camps
Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #1488
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol what?
Don't understand english? lol

It wasn't murder, more like negligence causing death or manslaughter
Old 06-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #1489
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah cops often negligently leave their knee on a suspects throat for nearly 10 minutes while civilians beg him to remove it because the man has already stopped breathing.

Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #1490
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't understand english? lol

It wasn't murder, more like negligence causing death or manslaughter
The willful disregard of training to subdue a suspect in such a manner resulting in death of the suspect is murder.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 10:12 PM   #1491
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What's your interpretation of a cop shooting someone to death? Negligent use of a finger touching a trigger of a gun?
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #1492
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Courtroom deliberations and legal decisions aren't what matter anymore. They only matter when they are backed up by a functioning system that has power and will to enforce the law. Trump doesn't respect the law or have the will to follow it. Since Trump came into office the law has been disregarded, because he only respects power. Who is going to enforce the law with Trump? What system is functioning to do so and has the power to back it up right now? The MAGA crowd, many of whom are in the police, the military, militias, media, congress, the Senate and other places to exert power are feeling like they have all the momentum on their side to follow Trump now, regardless of what the law is. The system that should prevent this has lost battles for three years in the fight to show it can exert power over Trump to maintain law, and that system is weak now. It's too late to count on the law. It is the time to hope for moral courage of people who actually can exert power and that there are enough of these people in key positions to take back control. None of the people with moral courage to push back have yet shown they have the power needed to turn things around.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #1493
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

All I can think of right at this moment is that Chapelle’s show Charlie Murphy story about Daryl Stingley running his mouth.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #1494
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

For what it's worth, the Calgary protest at over 1500 people (which seems low) is one of the largest non-US protests I've heard about in the wake of the Floyd killing.

There is a very motivated populace here determined to find justice. It makes me proud to be Calgarian.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #1495
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its not often that you're presented with a true Kobiyashi Maru.

There truly is no 'winning' scenario here unless you ask Charlie Sheen and then the provenance of that answer is obviously inherently suspect.

Can you tell the peaceful protesters apart from the rioters and just the random looters?

Are the Police not doing enough? Can they?

Are the Police doing too much? What does that mean in this context?

This is just lose/lose/lose/lose.

Send in the National Guard? That'll go well.

Send in the Army? Even better...that'll go worse.

I can only think of a couple of reasonable strategies and they suck. But at the end of the day, this is the bed they made.

Minneapolis is basically 'Peachtrees' at this point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #1496
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guy tries to set off fireworks in a busy intersection. Random protestor wouldn’t have it

Link
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 PM   #1497
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Talk to online buddy who is a cop in a suburb of Detroit. He was absolutely pissed at that officer, like raging mad. Every cop he has talk to in his department and surrounding departments feels similar to him. He said he murdered him, simple as that. They are taught to subdue by putting their knee in between the shoulder blades so that they are weighing down the central mass. They are specifically taught NOT to put knees on neck. Sometimes the knee can slip onto the neck if the guy is fighting back hard, but they try to readjust until he is under control. He added that to sit on a guys neck when he is subdued and saying he can't breath for 10 minutes (or whatever the time frame) is flat out deliberate (not negligent), against training and is frankly murder.

I don't how you can come to the conclusion you did, what that cop did was blatant.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 06-02-2020 at 11:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 PM   #1498
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Starting to see some backlash/change already perhaps?

https://www.axios.com/steve-king-iow...ce72efcdf.html
Not really, this is the guy who beat him...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1161702654067822598
Old 06-02-2020, 11:41 PM   #1499
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ok I think this is an excerpt from a public comment period on a council of representatives in LA? Either way it's fantastic

Warning — loud yelling and language

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267986452471787523

Old 06-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #1500
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Talk to online buddy who is a cop in a suburb of Detroit. He was absolutely pissed at that officer, like raging mad. Every cop he has talk to in his department and surrounding departments feels similar to him. He said he murdered him, simple as that. They are taught to subdue by putting their knee in between the shoulder blades so that they are weighing down the central mass. They are specifically taught NOT to put knees on neck. Sometimes the knee can slip onto the neck if the guy is fighting back hard, but they try to readjust until he is under control. He added that to sit on a guys neck when he is subdued and saying he can't breath for 10 minutes (or whatever the time frame) is flat out deliberate (not negligent), against training and is frankly murder.

I don't how you can come to the conclusion you did, what that cop did was blatant.

Sadly, I think an awful lot of cops caught up in this "protest", or whatever you want to call it at this point, agree. I have to think there are many, many cops who agree and have no interest in battling protesters as they agree with them at the basis of it all. We just see the bad apples as it's far better news. Sad all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread