Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #4801
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well at this point we are talking not only about lack of propane flowing down east, but a lack of food supplies being delivered.

Add health care supplies and a lot of other things to the list and we have a massive problem. People are going to start getting angry.

The rail industry in Canada is essential to ensure the flow of goods and resources from coast to coast. I can't believe the government is not taking this more serious.

One of the biggest shortages is the chemicals for water treatment. If those fall short we are in a massive emergency situation, water boiling scenario.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #4802
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This is what I'm talking about in terms of things getting out of hand.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228642581392875520

People encouraging this or glamorizing people plowing through the blockades have lost their perspective.
I may be mistaken but I thought protesters had a legal 30 seconds to stand in the way and march and chant and then they had to clear the path?

You're right though, it is going to get out of hand and this is the problem.

Our Government's response is that the protesters are doing something illegal, the authorities are doing nothing about it, so people cant just go about doing their jobs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #4803
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I may be mistaken but I thought protesters had a legal 30 seconds to stand in the way and march and chant and then they had to clear the path?

You're right though, it is going to get out of hand and this is the problem.

Our Government's response is that the protesters are doing something illegal, the authorities are doing nothing about it, so people cant just go about doing their jobs.

I don't think there's a legal 30 seconds thing, Clearly these protestors are ignorng that anyways.

I posted a column from a activist earlier that you have a right to protest, but you can't break the law, and you're rights to protest are balanced by the rights of the people that you're protesting again.

We have the right to commerce and free transportation and travel, we have the right to transport goods. By standing in the roads or on a train line they are breaking the law. Its Civil Disobedience. The activist pointed out that there was a cost to protesting in the old days that you had to be willing to accept because the governments would enforce the law, arrest you, drag you through the courts and sentence you. You as a protestor had to be willing to absorb those costs.

Now there's no price to breaking the law. The Governments strategy of gently handling protestors arresting them and letting them, go immediately has fallen completely flat and has done nothing to defuse the situation, in fact its made it worse.

I was watching a video yesterday where a police officer approached a blockade and read a letter praising their actions and enforcing that the Police were there in the name of friendship and Peace, and he hoped that they would maybe see a way to move their blockade. It was so silly and obnoxious and its not going to get the protestors to move, stuff like this is going to double down on their resolve.

In the old days a cop would enforce the law, he'd walk up, tell them they had 24 hours or they would be removed and remind them of the amount of jail time and fines they would be facing.

The strategy that the protestors have tripped on, combined with the actions of the police and governments have done nothing but prove that Canada is a paper lion when it comes to enforcing the laws and that protestors can easily and cheaply grind this country to a halt.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #4804
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
One of the biggest shortages is the chemicals for water treatment. If those fall short we are in a massive emergency situation, water boiling scenario.
While it is probably a challenge, I don't see why they couldn't be moved by truck if needed. Actually might be a good time to buy some trucking industry stock...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #4805
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
While it is probably a challenge, I don't see why they couldn't be moved by truck if needed. Actually might be a good time to buy some trucking industry stock...

Because we don't have the capacity to move it by truck, each city uses massive amounts of these chemicals on a daily and weekly basis.

Imagine how many trucks a city like Toronto or Montreal would need on a daily basis. Or even the smaller towns would need.

Its just like shipping propane, you can't make up what a train moves with trucks.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #4806
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I’m sure transporting everything by truck will be amazing for the environment.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #4807
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A more appropriate headline for the media, should they be looking for one...

"5 wanna-be kings, having kicked out their female members, hold the country hostage"
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #4808
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Naw, just do what the market has already learned. Don't invest in Canada and if you already have, pull it out.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #4809
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #4810
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What we need are enough trucks parked along the highway end to end, from here to the coast, then all we have to do is cut open the ends, join them together so we can pump the oil through the truck tanks without them moving. bingo, bango, bongo, everyone is happy.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #4811
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

One of the main manufacturers of Chlorine in Canada has basically said, that they're going to shut down their manufacturing facility in Quebec if the rail blockade doesn't end soon.

For the truck argument, the companies that use rail line use if for reasons beyond the amount that they can ship at one time, its fair cheaper to transport by Rail. I was reading an article that sites that the costs of transporting by rail would increase transport costs by 10 to 15%. Now of course they're not going to absorb the costs, we'll be paying them.

Also the environmental impacted of thousands of trucks transporting the goods to replace rail is far larger then transport by train.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #4812
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yes, it's the lies of omission that are a problem. No legitimate news organization will knowingly print false statements. But a great many these days will omit any facts that challenge the Preferred Narrative.

And this isn't accidental. Journalists are trained to gather a range of information and provide context (and really, it doesn't take any great expertise to analyze a situation from different angles). So it's not as though these organizations are making simple mistakes. They're deliberately omitting essential facts to mislead readers. It's not quite fake news, but it's within spitting distance of it.
It's manufactured consent. These blockades aren't popular, CTVs online poll had 85% of people wanting the authorities to step in.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #4813
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yikes. Disagree with her stance all you want, but this type of sticker is trashy and in very very poor taste. Why would you ever think this would be a good idea with your company logo?

Thinking X-Site Energy Services and Doug Sparrow will be having a very bad couple of days.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/disturbi...lipId%3D104056
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #4814
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Yikes. Disagree with her stance all you want, but this type of sticker is trashy and in very very poor taste. Why would you ever think this would be a good idea with your company logo?

Thinking X-Site Energy Services and Doug Sparrow will be having a very bad couple of days.

Yeah, that's absolutely grotesque.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #4815
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ x-site ceo says he had nothing to do with it. I'd imagine that noetheless the companies phone lines and e-mail server is swamped.

i could see some climate zelot doing this out of opportunism, or a couple of employees having a frat boy moment - but what do i know.

i wonder how much it will hurt the company as it is not like i would go there to buy something.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #4816
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I could also imagine that X-site ceo in fact did have something to do with it. But who knows.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #4817
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The World never ceases to amaze.

Something like this would never have even occurred to me. And yet here we are...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #4818
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ x-site ceo says he had nothing to do with it. I'd imagine that noetheless the companies phone lines and e-mail server is swamped.

i could see some climate zelot doing this out of opportunism, or a couple of employees having a frat boy moment - but what do i know.

i wonder how much it will hurt the company as it is not like i would go there to buy something.
X-site has some pretty scummy history though.

Sold a water heater that they dubbed "Gretta" because it was SCREAMING HOT.
Their initial response was apparently "she's not a child, she's 17".
Decal company that's rumoured to have printed it initially said "X-site always has the most hilarious stickers" or something to that effect.
The owner previously called Jagmeet Singh a "towelhead"
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #4819
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
X-site has some pretty scummy history though.

Sold a water heater that they dubbed "Gretta" because it was SCREAMING HOT.
Their initial response was apparently "she's not a child, she's 17".
Decal company that's rumoured to have printed it initially said "X-site always has the most hilarious stickers" or something to that effect.
The owner previously called Jagmeet Singh a "towelhead"
Are you serious?? this company is like the classic 'Berta in the rest of Canada's viewpoint.

Just ruining it for the rest of us sane, normal people.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #4820
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Absolutely disgusting.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post: