Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #4781
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Gotta give ‘em credit, they build #### and will have an economic future.

But the CBC, talk about bias! How can we allow that to happen amirite?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #4782
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
But the CBC, talk about bias! How can we allow that to happen amirite?!
What?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #4783
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
What?

Seems the same people who whine about a media outlet being biased for the government tend to be the ones who want that same government to resort to more authoritarian measures like countries with even more biased media. I've seen you whine and complain about the CBC being biased, and now here you are wanting to handle stuff like China. How do you think their media handles news?

Not the cleanest connection I admit, but it's just one of those things I notice.

Would you trade your life now for the economic future of a randomly selected Chinese person? Or Russian?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #4784
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the BCSC injunction is being appealed to the SCC?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #4785
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Original Trudeau, love him or hate him, he actually had balls. How would Justin have dealt with the FLQ? Give them 10 million dollars as appeasement while breaking the laws of the country?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/no-q...ered-1.4811999

Pierre Trudeau: Just Watch Me

Justin Trudeau: "Getting that balance right and wrapping it up in the path forward ... is really important."

Ontario and Quebec voted for this, and they will likely see some significant impact. Let them sink for once, they voted for this weak and incompetent leader.
I was never a supporter of PET but the fact of the matter is, he was one smart man, and his son can't hold a candle to him.

His comments about "bleeding hearts and how they can bleed" were priceless. Also his comments about those held in jail "were not political prisoners but criminals".
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #4786
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At that point I am seriously wondering if the people who are protesting or setting up the blockades are not being paid off by American environmental groups.

There has been enough evidence gathered the last few years that there are many American companies who have let their interests align with these supports and have even helped and influenced the protests.

There's probably a chunk of them that are, as I think it was pointed out that there are US radical websites with the term #shutdowncanada. There are probably a lot of protestors who are there to protest and are clueless about the whole thing. We know that groups like Leadnow and Tides have actively recruited and held classes for protesters.

The funny thing is that with these hereditary chiefs their houses are heated by natural gas transported by a pipeline and the gas is from fracking sites.

These Hereditary chiefs complain around the lack of consultation yet they're the ones that actually actively avoided taking part in the consultations, It would be interested to see what their finances look like.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #4787
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Seems the same people who whine about a media outlet being biased for the government tend to be the ones who want that same government to resort to more authoritarian measures like countries with even more biased media. I've seen you whine and complain about the CBC being biased, and now here you are wanting to handle stuff like China. How do you think their media handles news?

Not the cleanest connection I admit, but it's just one of those things I notice.

Would you trade your life now for the economic future of a randomly selected Chinese person? Or Russian?
Based on current trajectories... my life? No. My kids lives or their kids? Definitely needs to be very carefully thought about and possibly yes.

We are poised to be Venezuela North if Canadians’ attitudes don’t change soon. The economy is a thing, that exists.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 02-14-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #4788
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the RCMP kinda bungled this. They went with a soft touch, which they may have thought was a good strategy. But by doing that, it basically told all the other protestors there were no reproductions for breaking the law, so they have erupted all over Canada. Had they enforced the law I think most protestors would no t have been so bold.

There is a judicial order that the RCMP is tasked with enforcing. They don't seem to be doing that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #4789
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

For any who are interested, Danielle Smith had a very interesting guest this morning, somewhere around the 11 am or maybe 11:30 am time from...I believe his name was Stuart? He talked about the present and future strategy of those protesting, who was planning that strategy and the like. QR77 would have that in their archives.

There was also a very interesting call in guest, Colin I believe was his name. He worked for 15 years with the Wet'suwet'en First Nation. He does not believe the problem is as much with the First Nation as much as it is with news networks not contradicting what the protesters are saying.

He said that in most cases, what we hear is simply one group's viewpoint and news agencies are not putting people on the ground where the action is.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #4790
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At that point I am seriously wondering if the people who are protesting or setting up the blockades are not being paid off by American environmental groups.

There has been enough evidence gathered the last few years that there are many American companies who have let their interests align with these supports and have even helped and influenced the protests.
Just an observation, but I find it interesting that this is something that is brought up and not shot down immediately as tinfoil hat talk because it impacts us, but the same has been suggested about other protests around the world like the protests in Hong Kong as an example, but is pretty strongly shot down as being untrue because in that case, it's another country, or specifically China.

Personally, I think it's possible in both cases that there's American influence.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #4791
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^It has been made clear that the protestors are being paid $300 a day, I am not sure if that’s from the US though. It’s clearly, in BC at least, a professional operation.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #4792
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

From where? Source.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #4793
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know its Ezra...But.....

https://torontosun.com/2014/01/17/fi...4-9c782fb886f2
Old 02-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #4794
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The media coverage of this story is some of the most biased and misleading I've ever seen. Any story on this issue that makes no mention that the elected
Wet’suwet’en council, and 19 other First Nations along the pipeline, have approved the project is essentially fake news.
The number of media outlets that meet even the most basic criteria for truth and even-handedness is becoming vanishingly small. It terrifies me that most people today seem to get their news from 'news' sites that are essentially agitprop.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #4795
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lies of omission are a massive problem in the media today.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #4796
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The media coverage of this story is some of the most biased and misleading I've ever seen. Any story on this issue that makes no mention that the elected
Wet’suwet’en council, and 19 other First Nations along the pipeline, have approved the project is essentially fake news.
The number of media outlets that meet even the most basic criteria for truth and even-handedness is becoming vanishingly small. It terrifies me that most people today seem to get their news from 'news' sites that are essentially agitprop.
the media has been very careful framing this. On every channel when they interview protesters or they're supporters they're very careful to ensure that they're young, female, and of course Indigenous. They've stopped interviewing angry males, and or angry non natives. They did it initially but they stopped doing it. At the same time anyone that they interview that's against the protest or pipelines is older and preferably mail.

I don't know if they're taking the lead from the Federal Government's media buy out program, but it does seem to go against the demographic of people that usually take time to watch the news or read papers. Its bizarre. But its highly stylized in framing a narrative.

Now a bit of a rant.

What did this government expect was going to happen. Reconciliation is not a strategy or a promise to them, its a buzz word, and a election promise that they feel that they could ignore after they got elected.

What the government in place did was talk about Reconcilliation in lofty terms, throw a few bucks at pet projects and have some tearful apologies and they thought that would be the end of it.

But when you have a government that does very little on the water quality issues, on housing issues, fights court awards on decisions concerning Indigenous treatment and residential housing. When you have a Prime Minister that smirks at native protestors and thanks them for their donation at a Liberal Fund raiser when they were protesting mercury poisoning. What do you think is going to happen.

When you combine this with a government that has basically made pipelines and Oil and Gas the enemy of the people, you bring together the Environmental Movement and angry Indigenous groups that see reconciliation pleas as what they are complete BS and Flim Flammery.

The problem is that the Liberals have now once again created a un winnable situation for themselves, and its their fault and the blame lies at the feet of Justin's handlers.

They've shown protest groups that they are on a winning track. Justin's weak response to this, the mewling begging letters by Ministers, the lack of law enforcement have shown these groups that they can effectively cripple the national economy at very little cost, and when the weather warms up, when pipeline construction and other infrastructure renews they'll be back in greater numbers.

The people that deserve the most sympathy are the protestors caught between a dishonest government who used them to get elected and failed to live up to any promises, funded environmental groups, and corrupt chiefs for example who take money from the government and siphon it into their own back accounts.

And those people that are caught in the middle are going to feel so much rage and lack of sympathy from Canadians that are seriously angry about these blockades, and a feeling like they're not being heard by the government.

Make no mistake, this whole thing is on Trudeau and the Liberals, they opened a literal tiger trap by talking about something to get elected and not following through, and in some place showing contempt for the very concept of reconciliation that they used to get elected, and this government is not smart enough to maneuver out of this without doing significant damage to this country on an international scale (investment damage, prestige)

At the same time, Justin doing his world tour for a useless UN Security Council seat while pitching money to repellant governments while not seeming to give two craps about this and basically throwing it at ministers incapable of handling this is a public relations disaster for him.

This Pandora's box is open now, and the last spectre at the bottom isn't hope, its a message from the old style maps, here there be monsters.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #4797
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The lies of omission are a massive problem in the media today.
Yes, it's the lies of omission that are a problem. No legitimate news organization will knowingly print false statements. But a great many these days will omit any facts that challenge the Preferred Narrative.

And this isn't accidental. Journalists are trained to gather a range of information and provide context (and really, it doesn't take any great expertise to analyze a situation from different angles). So it's not as though these organizations are making simple mistakes. They're deliberately omitting essential facts to mislead readers. It's not quite fake news, but it's within spitting distance of it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #4798
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is what I'm talking about in terms of things getting out of hand.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228642581392875520

People encouraging this or glamorizing people plowing through the blockades have lost their perspective.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #4799
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well at this point we are talking not only about lack of propane flowing down east, but a lack of food supplies being delivered.

Add health care supplies and a lot of other things to the list and we have a massive problem. People are going to start getting angry.

The rail industry in Canada is essential to ensure the flow of goods and resources from coast to coast. I can't believe the government is not taking this more serious.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #4800
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Scarcity of supply and increased cost of making up the shortages is going to create a massive pricing bubble.

I'd think the smart move is to stockpile where you can.