Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #441
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Sorry to hear brother, wishing you, your mom and all those you love the very best right now, big hugs.
Thank you and those who thanked your post. It means a lot to me and I have been using this forum to distract myself a bit during this difficult time. Maybe I should take a break.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #442
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be interesting to see how long Hall sits for if no trade happens in the next bit. Must be trying to get something done by Thursday.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #443
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The co-host of Spittin' Chiclets has hinted they are on Twitter. I don't know much about him but others have said he's not someone to just make up stuff.
They've interviewed "Hallsey" at least once, and it seems like the spittin chiclets crew are buddies with him. I could see them getting info directly from Hall
Old 12-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #444
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Thank you and those who thanked your post. It means a lot to me and I have been using this forum to distract myself a bit during this difficult time. Maybe I should take a break.
Anytime my friend, I’ve always enjoyed the passion you bring to this forum and I love talking hockey with you and so many other posters here. This place is cathartic for many including myself and the community here is second to none. I really truly love this place and all those who contribute daily to making it the awesome place that it is. Which is why I felt compelled to reach out after hearing that bro, stay strong and enjoy the holidays with those you love and know that we all have good thoughts sending your way. ❤️

Also with regards to this debate you’re just speaking passionately from a position you believe which I can understand too; Hall is a huge risk I mean the last real time we truly made a trade like this it was the Jokinen trade and that turned out horribly and we hung on to the core for too long after it didn’t pan out which made it even worse. I can understand both sides of the debate but getting Hall before we’ve even played Edmonton with all the drama already surrounding both teams would just be incredible to watch. Time shall tell us shortly here which is exciting in its own right!!

Merry Christmas dissentowner!

Cheers

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 12-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #445
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Speaking as someone who has done the same as I battle a whole host of mental health yuckyness... I understand your pain. We're all on the same side here and you're a very good poster. I and others would miss your insights if you left.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #446
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Technically no, they didn't.

However it was reported that he made it known through his agent that Vegas was his, by far, preferred destination whether by trade or by UFA.
They definitely got to speak before the trade went through.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100119382867492866
https://twitter.com/user/status/1100123721170337793

17 minutes apart and they'd agreed in principle to a complicated 8 year contract extension. It just had to wait until March 1st to actually be signed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #447
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
No it is not. It is one of many valid stats to be considered in context

Gaudreau’s big minus is an anomaly career wise.

How would you evaluate Gaudreau’s play this year? Above or below expectations?
Taylor Hall is a +23 5v5 over the course of his career playing for garbage teams.

For a guy saying plus/minus is a valid stat to be considered in context, the fact you're ignoring Hall is a great 5v5 player but is a -44 in 5-on-6 empty net situations is beyond hilarious and ignoring super important context.

Do better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #448
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I assume you are presenting even strength stats and not including PP

And Taylor Hall’s +/- career = -39
8 out of 10 years he has been a minus

You found stats that imply he should score more than he gets scored on. Hooray.

Guess what? Counting actual goals for and against, he doesn’t

And guess what? Your stats and mine both happened based on counting events that happened with other players on the ice too.

So what is it that goes wrong more often than not with this guy?
Lmao once again, you couldn't be more wrong.

The fact is, Taylor Hall DOES score more than he gets scored on 5v5.

You conveniently (once again) ignore the fact that as an elite player, Taylor Hall is always out there when his teams' goalie gets pulled and is a -44 in 5-on-6 situations

Keep going.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #449
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love when posters come in super late to the conversation and the first thing they do is pick out a couple posts from a user and claim how amazingly wrong they are and that it’s super hilarious.

That’s so not helpful. Just add your perspective to the topic without attacking the views of another poster when you hadn’t been involved in the back and forth.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #450
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Taylor Hall is a +23 5v5 over the course of his career playing for garbage teams.

For a guy saying plus/minus is a valid stat to be considered in context, the fact you're ignoring Hall is a great 5v5 player but is a -44 in 5-on-6 empty net situations is beyond hilarious and ignoring super important context.

Do better.
Pfft, whatever.

You worked that hard to prove that he is being buried by EN goals against, so he actually averages +2 goals per year more than he has scored against him in that particular situation then?

Wow, super elite.

Too bad his team can’t maintain possession with the extra skater. Probably due to his awesome puck possession.

Tell me again how great you think he is. I am sure you will convince me to love him haha
Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #451
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I love when posters come in super late to the conversation and the first thing they do is pick out a couple posts from a user and claim how amazingly wrong they are and that it’s super hilarious.

That’s so not helpful. Just add your perspective to the topic without attacking the views of another poster when you hadn’t been involved in the back and forth.
I'm adding corrections to brutal assessments made from someone who clearly did zero research and is trying to make Hall sound like a terrible player when in reality he is elite in almost every metric.

Sorry for sticking up for a player by correcting someone who's being so over the top, making brutal assessements, and saying to look at context with without doing any research themselves.

Also, coming from the guy who wouldn't trade Janko for Hall 1 for 1, I can honestly say (in the kindest way possible) that your opinion that I shouldn't respond to posts made a few pages back is something I'm not going to at all take seriously.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #452
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
I'm adding corrections to brutal assessments made from someone who clearly did zero research and is trying to make Hall sound like a terrible player when in reality he is elite in almost every metric.

Sorry for sticking up for a player by correcting someone who's being so over the top, making brutal assessements, and saying to look at context with without doing any research themselves.

Also, coming from the guy who wouldn't trade Janko for Hall 1 for 1, I can honestly say (in the kindest way possible) that your opinion that I shouldn't respond to posts made a few pages back is something I'm not going to at all take seriously.
So then just pitch your side that will do the talking as to what’s right and what’s wrong. You just don’t get my attention and respect when you open with “ Lmao once again, you couldn't be more wrong.” and close with “Keep going” and “Do better”. You’re just trying to pick a fight as opposed to be part of the discussion.

Nothing wrong with having a sophisticated stance and sticking by it. I will continue to do so. Flames won’t trade for Hall without intent to extend, and extend immediately so not being cool with Jankowski for Hall one for one means not wanting Taylor Hall long term on this team. I wouldn’t trade a 2023 7th round for an extended Taylor Hall. I’d trade Jankowski for a 2023 7th. Got it?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #453
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Hall could be an extremely valuable rental for the Flames. Don't want to see a signing.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #454
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are in a position to acquire Hall, they should do it.

Gio isn't getting younger. The defense as a group is good enough. They need another forward.

Hall-Monahan-Backlund
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

More has been done with less.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #455
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So then just pitch your side that will do the talking as to what’s right and what’s wrong. You just don’t get my attention and respect when you open with “ Lmao once again, you couldn't be more wrong.” and close with “Keep going” and “Do better”. You’re just trying to pick a fight as opposed to be part of the discussion.

Nothing wrong with having a sophisticated stance and sticking by it. I will continue to do so. Flames won’t trade for Hall without intent to extend, and extend immediately so not being cool with Jankowski for Hall one for one means not wanting Taylor Hall long term on this team. I wouldn’t trade a 2023 7th round for an extended Taylor Hall. I’d trade Jankowski for a 2023 7th. Got it?

Well good thing you are not a GM then if someone would let you have Hall for a 7th round pick and you would say no 🙄
Old 12-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #456
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

All players are rentals. How much are Flames giving up to rent Hamonic and Brodie this season. Are they going to rent Gaudreau for another two seasons?

There is an argument to go for it while just about every key player on the team is in their prime before certain guys leave or deteriorate rapidly. If you can’t make a run adding another elite forward maybe it’s time to start fresh with a different core?

Treliving hasn’t made a meaningful player move for 1.5 seasons now. You know something is coming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #457
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I don't want hall. He is inconsistent, often injured, and soon to be overpaid. The only thing he has done consistently since he arrived in the NHL is lose.

Don't trade a boatload for him. We will be regretting it. Let someone else make the mistake. Maybe Edmonton will trade their first rounder + other assets and go on to miss the playoffs.
536 points in 592 games, good for 0.91 PPG. In 10 NHL seasons, Hall's been PPG or better four times. Seems consistent enough.

People talked a lot of this same #### about Phil Kessel, and now he has two rings.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 12-15-2019 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #458
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been said that Hall won't sign a deal during the season. It has also been said that no team has been given permission to speak to Hall, and maybe no team has even asked for permission to do so.

With those two key pieces of information we can safely assume that when he does get traded that the return will not be very much and fans of the 29 other teams will be saying "That's all it took? We could have done better than that!".
Old 12-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #459
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see the Devils looking to move Hall so early in the season when usually these moves are closer to the deadline. I guess it is because the Devils are out of it already, they don't want another Sens Stone situation, and there are a couple contending teams with cap space.

The best part of this trade will be comparing the massive haul the Devils get for a rental Hall to the Oilers trade for 4 years of Hall.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 12-15-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #460
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Well good thing you are not a GM then if someone would let you have Hall for a 7th round pick and you would say no ��
I guess you haven’t followed along. That post was a follow up to dissentowners post about how he wouldn’t trade Dube for Hall one for one and got called a fool. No one is a fool for not seeing a player like Hall being a good short or long term roster decision. There’s enough reasons.

It’s not just Hall for nearly free (a 7th). It’s a player you have to give a long term deal with a tag somewhere between $8-10 million. Good thing you’re not GM.
Closed Thread