Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #1581
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/u...l-culture.html

So what he's saying in a way is that the use of incorrect nouns/adjectives to describe another person, and calling them out for it, is not conducive to changing culture.

Quote:
“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically ‘woke’ and all that stuff,” Mr. Obama said. “You should get over that quickly.”

“The world is messy; there are ambiguities,” he continued. “People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #1582
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Beyond being a peddler and practitioner of pseudoscience nonsense, Peterson's arguments often fall apart under any kind of intellectual scrutiny. It was interesting seeing Cliff argue that no "left-wing" intellectual heavyweights were willing to debate Peterson, but he got exposed pretty badly when he debated Zizek in Toronto. His ideas are often revealed to be pretty extreme and nonsensical once you get past the word salads he uses to dress them up in, and he has a bad tendency to weigh-in (almost always incorrectly/incoherently) on topics he has virtually no expertise in.
Peterson started to register on a Trump level of clueless joke in that.

I think it's totally fair to label Peterson an intellectual fraud. He showed that not only does he lack the ability understand even the basics of political philosophy and its relationship to history and the real world in general, he's too lazy to actually read up on a topic he constantly lectures others on. He also a lot of the time doesn't engage the other persons, arguments at all, which is kind if a fundamental skill in a debate.

Some of my friends from the department of political history watch Peterson (as well as other "internet intellectuals") as a drinking game. You can get pretty drunk on "logical non sequitur" alone.

Last edited by Itse; 11-02-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #1583
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not give Zizek a pass here either.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #1584
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I don't think anyone is, but if that's your opinion, it actually speaks even less of Peterson.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #1585
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think anyone is, but if that's your opinion, it actually speaks even less of Peterson.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #1586
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A pass for what?

There's a massive difference between having kind of terrible opinions about stuff, and lecturing people on stuff you don't know anything about.

Zizek is the first. Peterson is both. I don't like Zizek, but he's in no sense of the word a fraud.

Peterson is a charlatan who has made a career out of lecturing to the ignorant.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #1587
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
A pass for what?

There's a massive difference between having kind of terrible opinions about stuff, and lecturing people on stuff you don't know anything about.

Zizek is the first. Peterson is both. I don't like Zizek, but he's in no sense of the word a fraud.

Peterson is a charlatan who has made a career out of lecturing to the ignorant.
Zizek has terrible opinions on things. Like genuinely immoral horrible opinions.

That said, yes, Zizek is a pretty great Hegel scholar, but his public persona is just as formulated as Peterson's.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:41 AM   #1588
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zizek has terrible opinions on things. Like genuinely immoral horrible opinions.

That said, yes, Zizek is a pretty great Hegel scholar, but his public persona is just as formulated as Peterson's.
Yeah I'd agree that Zizek has his similarities with Peterson and other pop thinkers of the internet age. The guy loves attention. Just because he's intellectually a clear level above hacks like Peterson is not a defense of him as a person or his opinions. He can also be just as intellectually lazy. Just because he has an actual depth of knowledge he can tap into doesn't mean he always bothers to use it. A shame really.

That said, I don't even remember anymore what Zizek said that made me go "eww" back in the day.

Refresh my memory?

Last edited by Itse; 11-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #1589
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Pretty emotional interview with Rex Murphy.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #1590
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

submitted without comment

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #1591
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Zizek is an edge-lord without a doubt. All the same, his work does have academic merit in the sense that it provides tools that help understanding discourse.

The debate of public persona is an interesting one, it is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If one only interacts in academic circles they are chastised as living in an ivory tower and circle jerking. If they want to have any public credibility they need to brand themselves, or at least understand that people will based all of their work on a 20 second sound bite.

It is no wonder mental health issues are so bad in academia, it is a process of ####ting all over everything, and having your life's work #### all over by people who don't read it, or refuse to see any value in it.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #1592
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yeah I'd agree that Zizek has his similarities with Peterson and other pop thinkers of the internet age. The guy loves attention. Just because he's intellectually a clear level above hacks like Peterson is not a defense of him as a person or his opinions. He can also be just as intellectually lazy. Just because he has an actual depth of knowledge he can tap into doesn't mean he always bothers to use it. A shame really.

That said, I don't even remember anymore what Zizek said that made me go "eww" back in the day.

Refresh my memory?
He has said some pretty inflammatory things about Stalin.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #1593
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that most of these clowns have been exposed as Koch brother shills and charlatans, can I use this thread to post videos of the dorks completely embarrassing themselves? I'm gonna do it anyway because it makes me giggle.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1230540778809757698
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #1594
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

They spent $100M to make a movie they don’t want to make anymore. Shapiro is such a moron.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #1595
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread is pretty amazing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #1596
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This thread is pretty amazing.
I'm definitely not reveling in what Jordan Peterson is going through. I've had friends with benzo addictions and they're absolute hell and I sincerely hope he gets better, but as someone pointed out on twitter, there's some morbid humour to be found in a dude writing a book entitled "12 Rules for Life" going on an insane all-beef diet, getting hooked on benzos, and ending up in a Russian hospital.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #1597
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm definitely not reveling in what Jordan Peterson is going through. I've had friends with benzo addictions and they're absolute hell and I sincerely hope he gets better, but as someone pointed out on twitter, there's some morbid humour to be found in a dude writing a book entitled "12 Rules for Life" going on an insane all-beef diet, getting hooked on benzos, and ending up in a Russian hospital.
It is weird as hell but didnt his wife die of cancer?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #1598
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is weird as hell but didnt his wife die of cancer?
No, she's alive. She has cancer and it sounds pretty serious, but she's still alive. Again, nothing I would wish upon the man and his family.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #1599
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No, she's alive. She has cancer and it sounds pretty serious, but she's still alive. Again, nothing I would wish upon the man and his family.

But can you see the morbid humour in it?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #1600
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
But can you see the morbid humour in it?
Yes.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote