Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #2201
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I hate Forge FC.
The keeper was way off his line prior to the kick on the penalty save. No VAR I guess. My son (a keeper 12 years old) got called for early movement that was much less than that one.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #2202
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS, we're not trying to strong-arm the club.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #2203
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn’t say you were, I was referring to CroFlames over the top comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #2204
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
That's a little much. No doubt the club respects and wants the FS to be there, but they're not going to let the FS strong-arm them.
(This is a general response turned wordy rant, so not personally directed at you MillerTime).

What are the Foot Soliders trying to strong-arm the club into?

Based on some comments on social media from people in other sections, it seems that the security company was either instructed to be extra strict on Wednesday, or took it upon themselves to be. Some people have said that the security vibe was weird and different compared to other matches. I think that the Foot Soldiers are just asking for an explanation of that specific incident and also in the general sense, which they weren't provided with that night.

I'm just not sure what warrants such a crackdown on atmosphere, especially when that is a big part of the experience. Unfortunately the club has a bit of a trend of doing strange things before fully realizing the negative side. To their credit, they do usually end up adapting, but sometimes the initial decision is puzzling.

A poor atmosphere will impact attendance - full stop. And aside from a couple of novelty fixtures, attendance already has quite a bit of room to move upward.

Lighting. One floodlight is plenty! Oops. Adds more floodlights.
Parking. One entrance will do! Oops. Changes parking.
Pricing (I know, I know). People will buy $100 tickets! Oops - they aren't. Shows signs of a revised pricing structure, promos, etc.

The club is reactive and not proactive, so things like this need to be nipped in the bud. Growing pains are one thing, but actively shutting down atmosphere (not just in 200, but everywhere) is unnecessary and has a big down side.

And if I can get a bit philosophical here - what I think is happening is a culture clash between the North American sports mindset, and with what we see with soccer in other countries.

In Europe, supporters are seen as stakeholders in the club, but in North America, they are simply customers of a company. Buy a ticket, get entertained, but that's where your investment ends. Spruce Meadows, of course, is quite used to the model of "bring your money, watch some horses, go home" and aren't yet accustomed to the culture of soccer, where supporters will support, but also criticize, cuss, boycott, bleed the club's colours, and become deeply emotionally invested. Supporters demand and deserve a say in how things are run, within reason of course, and won't be satisfied to just buy in, clap politely, and observe passively.

It seems that the security company was enforcing the mindset of : buy a ticket, sit down, shut up, and leave quietly when the game is over.

That being said, I don't think that this is a hurdle that can't be overcome with a little bit of dialogue. But that's the whole point - if the club does something dumb, it is better to speak up quickly and loudly so it can be addressed.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #2205
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Or the TLDR version of my own post: I think that the Foot Soliders are handling this correctly. Make a statement by walking out > communicate directly with club > be the supporters' voice and help steer the club into making good decisions for supporters (not just FS, but everyone).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #2206
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I know you didn’t direct that at me, I do want to point out again that I wasn’t implying the FS were trying to strong-arm them.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 08-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #2207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t say you were, I was referring to CroFlames over the top comment.
How is my comment over the top? The allure of this new thing we have is due to the Foot Soldiers and the atmosphere THEY created. They deserve tremendous respect and special privilege with the club, which they currently enjoy. I don't think Bingo has a direct line to the Flames and can discuss fan issues, yet Shermanator can.

Shermantor isn't trying to strong arm the club to do anything. He felt that a member was unjustly tossed, and so he showed solidarity with said member. The group won't be back until the club explains itself and likely offers an apology for a security gaffe.

If people think Cavalry FC would be just as fun without the foot soldiers, or that regular fans would just fill in the vacancy, you are seriously mistaken.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #2208
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I know you didn’t direct that at me, I do want to point out again that I wasn’t implying the FS we’re trying to strong-arm them.
Fair. The quote was actually unnecessary anyway, but especially after my tangent.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #2209
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
In Europe, supporters are seen as stakeholders in the club, but in North America, they are simply customers of a company. Buy a ticket, get entertained, but that's where your investment ends. Spruce Meadows, of course, is quite used to the model of "bring your money, watch some horses, go home" and aren't yet accustomed to the culture of soccer, where supporters will support, but also criticize, cuss, boycott, bleed the club's colours, and become deeply emotionally invested. Supporters demand and deserve a say in how things are run, within reason of course, and won't be satisfied to just buy in, clap politely, and observe passively.

It seems that the security company was enforcing the mindset of : buy a ticket, sit down, shut up, and leave quietly when the game is over.

That being said, I don't think that this is a hurdle that can't be overcome with a little bit of dialogue. But that's the whole point - if the club does something dumb, it is better to speak up quickly and loudly so it can be addressed.
Jimmy Stang hit the nail on the head. I think this is just about educating security (and fellow supporters) on how support works in Europe vs how it works in North America. In North America, this European model really only applied to soccer, whereas in Europe, the way this support occurs is not just isolated to soccer. It's the same for basketball, hockey, handball, etc. It's more than just showing up, buying a ticket and a beer and going home a few hours later.

Anyways, what I am trying to accomplish here is to get all stakeholders (the club, the supporters and security) into the same room in person, and establish a set of guidelines as to what should be considered acceptable at a game, and what should not be considered acceptable at a game. I would also like standards around what should be considered grounds for a warning, grounds for being asked to leave, and grounds for banning.

For example, I don't want to be told to sit down when I'm in the supporters section. I don't want to have to look over my shoulder before swearing because someone decided to bring their kids in the section rather than hang out in the family section, etc. But I also want to see anyone who uses racism permanently banned from the stadium.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #2210
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The club needs to realize that they are nothing without the FS and you better show them some extra respect.
I'm quoting again...so you don't think that's over the top?

Would the club be the same without the FS? No, but to say they are nothing without them is being dramatic.

Now I'm not trying to discount what Sherm and the rest of the FS is doing, because I think it's phenomenal, but there are other supporters groups popping up around the city. There's a new one called the Ultras (something something) that buses from SS106 restaurant on Edmonton Trail for example. Their numbers are really growing. I don't know if they'd ever get to the level of the FS, or at least not quickly, but the club is not nothing without the FS.

Again, not discounting the FS, because I believe they have played a role almost as large as the team itself as we try to introduce this game of footy to Cowtown.

Enough of this though...keep fighting the good fight Sherm, I wasn't calling you out, I just thought that comment was dramatic.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #2211
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm quoting again...so you don't think that's over the top?

Would the club be the same without the FS? No, but to say they are nothing without them is being dramatic.

Now I'm not trying to discount what Sherm and the rest of the FS is doing, because I think it's phenomenal, but there are other supporters groups popping up around the city. There's a new one called the Ultras (something something) that buses from SS106 restaurant on Edmonton Trail for example. Their numbers are really growing. I don't know if they'd ever get to the level of the FS, or at least not quickly, but the club is not nothing without the FS.

Again, not discounting the FS, because I believe they have played a role almost as large as the team itself as we try to introduce this game of footy to Cowtown.

Enough of this though...keep fighting the good fight Sherm, I wasn't calling you out, I just thought that comment was dramatic.
Ultras 108, haha

"Join SS106 Aperitivo bar & the Ultras 108 for Cavalry FC vs Pacific FC. 11am at SS106 Aperitivo Bar for drinks and food. (Lunch is included and one drink is included in price.) 12:30pm transportation provided to spruce meadows. 1:30pm Cavalry FC vs Pacific FC in section 108 (Ticket Value is $40). 3:30pm transportation back to SS106 Aperitivo# Bar. All this included for only $80 per person. "
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #2212
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Sherm you and the supporters have a great meeting with all parties involved and this can be dealt with swiftly and a resolution that pleases the FS and club is reached.

If people want to have a polite atmosphere where they can clap once or twice and enjoy some entertainment they should go to Flames games and be boring. I love that Cavalry is different. The atmosphere has been incredible and it would be a shame for it to go backwards
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #2213
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just had a very encouraging phone call with the club. Nothing to share yet in terms of procedures or anything like that, as we still have more discussions to come, but it sounds like the club and supporters are on the same page.

We're looking to have things sorted by the next home game on Wednesday. Not sure if I will have time to write up things before then but I will as soon as I can. I know people are curious.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #2214
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try and avoid sporting hyperbole, but tomorrow's match really is a proper 6 pointer. A win and Cavs are 5 points up. A loss and Forge will sit atop by one point. Annnnd there is still a game in hand. Huge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #2215
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And if I can get a bit philosophical here - what I think is happening is a culture clash between the North American sports mindset, and with what we see with soccer in other countries.

It's very interesting that you mentioned this because just last week, David Ornstein brought this up in relation to Arsenal and Liverpool. The American owners both had moments where they realized the difference between the fan culture to which they were accustomed in North America and the supporters of their English football clubs.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #2216
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I try and avoid sporting hyperbole, but tomorrow's match really is a proper 6 pointer. A win and Cavs are 5 points up. A loss and Forge will sit atop by one point. Annnnd there is still a game in hand. Huge.
Sure, but more pressure on Forge then Cavs, With Edm still in the mix for the fall season, Forge need to stay ahead more Cavs do, though my guess is the Forge will be ahead of Edm at the end of the year, no matter how we end the fall session up.

Toss in the bad blood after that Jun 4 match, with STILL no discipline handed out after almost 3 months to the guilty Forge members involved, and things could get interesting.

Edit: And in all the game previews,no mention of the open investigation into racism.

Last edited by browna; 08-25-2019 at 10:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #2217
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy man this feels like a Forge homer broadcast. I’m not normally one to complain about commentators but man.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #2218
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

They just did a shout out to the Rose & Crown, Kildare's, and Toad & Turtle on the broadcast. Nice touch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #2219
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Malonga needs to be less lazy and stay onside and work to get back inside. That’s twice now he’s put himself offside
Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #2220
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Holy man this feels like a Forge homer broadcast. I’m not normally one to complain about commentators but man.
I prefer Nigel Reed over this guy. On and on about the Forge and short turnaround, didn’t hear that when we had to play in Halifax after Montreal. Plus we played only a single day earlier this week, and had to travel where Forge stuck at home.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge