Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #2181
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The foot soldiers are good people, who, without knowing who I was welcomed be warmly simply because I was a fan. In turn I have seen a similar reception whether it was in spruce meadows, Edmonton, or Montreal. to suggest otherwise would be a lie.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #2182
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sherm - let us know how the meeting with the Cavs staff goes. I'm sure they'll be collaborative and make things work, I know how important the supporters are to their fans, branding and PR. I'm pretty sure security is just contracted to Spruce Meadows, and likely aren't fully in tune with the policies and preferences of the club. This may be an internal partnership session that the club has to have with security services.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #2183
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What ever you need, let me know. I underwent the long and elaborate process of becoming a Foot Soldier (including all the secret stuff I am not allowed to post on the internet), and god dammit that means something to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #2184
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My buddy was at the game and told me security were being dicks in all sections. Said they were ruining the atmosphere of the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #2185
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. I just watched the highlights, and the offside call on the would-be 4th goal might literally be the worst call I've EVER seen, at least at this level. Like it wasn't even close.

Did she maybe think the player in front of the keeper touched it on the way in? That's my only logical explanation for her...but it's quite illogical.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #2186
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Wow. I just watched the highlights, and the offside call on the would-be 4th goal might literally be the worst call I've EVER seen, at least at this level. Like it wasn't even close.

Did she maybe think the player in front of the keeper touched it on the way in? That's my only logical explanation for her...but it's quite illogical.
I think if he even attempted to touch it, that could be considered offside. However, you're right, there was nothing of the sort that occurred.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #2187
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

It can even be blown offside if the player in an offside position doesn’t touch it, but interferes with the keeper.

Does anyone remember where the kick was taken afterwards? Was it in the 6 where the player in front was, or towards the sideline where the cross came from?
Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #2188
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It can even be blown offside if the player in an offside position doesn’t touch it, but interferes with the keeper.

Does anyone remember where the kick was taken afterwards? Was it in the 6 where the player in front was, or towards the sideline where the cross came from?
I would guess the call was that the player in the offside position was involved in play because he was "screening" the keeper. I don't think he was impacting the play at all, but I can see why they might argue it. Especially from the sideline it can be tough to judge if the offside player was directly in front of the keeper or off to the side.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #2189
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re the offside, it was a bad call. But yes that game should've been 5 or 6 with ease. Good to see Malonga get some confidence back.

Shame about the Foot soldiers, however, with due respect you can't let 1 over zealous security guard ruin a game nor the season nor everything you've built up with the club, for you. A bit different if it was a Calvary offcial doing the kicking out, but one guy being paid $17 an hour who heard something or having a bad day shouldn't cause this much drama between the group and the club.

In semi related news, Cavalry's two Mls opponents have made changes. Lenerduzzi was put as president of the Whitecaps last week, and today, Joey Saputo continues his dream of thinking he dramatically runs a Serie A team, by yet another midseason manager sacking, as Remi Garde gets the boot. Both happen within two weeks of the Cavs pushing both clubs to the limit.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #2190
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Shame about the Foot soldiers, however, with due respect you can't let 1 over zealous security guard ruin a game nor the season nor everything you've built up with the club, for you. A bit different if it was a Calvary offcial doing the kicking out, but one guy being paid $17 an hour who heard something or having a bad day shouldn't cause this much drama between the group and the club.
I think Browna has expressed what I feel on this matter better than I have managed to so far.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #2191
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Nah, I agree with Sherm. This isn't the fan sitting next to you at a sporting event. This is a tight knit family that has been growing together over two seasons. And it wasn't a drunk fan being booted, it was a founding supporter being booted for complaining about something.

Not the end of the world, but not acceptable either. Right call by the group, walk out, make the club address it. And it sounds like they will immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #2192
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Security is not the club, but they represent the club. Our interactions with them are a significant part of the experience.

I've reached out to the club on last night's events. I think we can come to an amicable conclusion in the coming weeks. Their response to offer to discuss it is promising.

Last edited by shermanator; 08-22-2019 at 05:53 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #2193
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
In semi related news, Cavalry's two Mls opponents have made changes. Lenerduzzi was put as president of the Whitecaps last week, and today, Joey Saputo continues his dream of thinking he dramatically runs a Serie A team, by yet another midseason manager sacking, as Remi Garde gets the boot. Both happen within two weeks of the Cavs pushing both clubs to the limit.

Joey Saputo dramatically runs Serie A club Bologna as well

Old 08-23-2019, 02:12 AM   #2194
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's inaccurate to describe this as the Foot Soldiers letting this incident ruin a good thing. In contrast, I believe this is the Foot Soldiers taking a firm stance on behaviour that is unacceptable and ruinous. It is wholly unacceptable for individuals delegated with authority to use this authority inordinately and without just cause. Furthermore, this type of behaviour is damaging to the relationship between the protectors and those being protected, as well as, delicate environments such as football grounds. Therefore, it is actually imperative that the Foot Soldiers ensure the correct measures are taken to protect their freedoms and the amazing environment they and the club have worked hard to create.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #2195
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #2196
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shermanator and the FS doing the walkout was the right thing to do. The club needs to realize that they are nothing without the FS and you better show them some extra respect.

The FS need to show solidarity with their members in order to have any sway with the club in any matter, and that's exactly what they did here. The club will now definitely listen to Shermanator when he discusses the matter with them knowing he has the power to boycott matches.

That buckaroo security guard should have reported the alleged incident up the chain and not taken matters into his own hands.

Having said all that, the FS hang a pride flag at every match. I would hardly think racism is accepted within their ranks.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #2197
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Shermanator and the FS doing the walkout was the right thing to do. The club needs to realize that they are nothing without the FS and you better show them some extra respect.
That's a little much. No doubt the club respects and wants the FS to be there, but they're not going to let the FS strong-arm them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #2198
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nor should they. But the supporters groups are the best advertising the league has. So it makes sense to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Personally, I might go to Wednesday's game if they are there to add to the atmosphere. I won't if they aren't.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #2199
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate Forge FC.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #2200
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
That's a little much. No doubt the club respects and wants the FS to be there, but they're not going to let the FS strong-arm them.
Indeed. The Foot Soldiers are not the only fans who could fill those seats and cheer on the Cavs.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge