Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #381
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Sure, but there's a lot better spots geographically in downtown that don't have a high concentration of businesses and residents.
Like where? Do you mean the empty lots in the Rivers District? Right from Crowchild to Eau Claire to 17th to Stampede Station it's all businesses and/or residents now.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #382
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Has any jurisdiction tried free drugs?

Give concentration and volume controlled doses to those that want them and rehab and support services to those that want them and have a housing first policy to eliminate homelessness.

The crime side of this issue is driven by the need to acquire money to acquire drugs. These drugs are all pretty low cost to manufacture so why force the public to pay for black market prices through theft as opposed to an industrial produced lower cost option.
I'm almost sure we will get there at some point. It'll take time
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #383
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
This idea is probably the most sane, but ####... how? Is it humane to straight up give someone a substance you know they are addicted to and will make them unable to function, meaning they may have an awfully hard time living anywhere but the street? Isn’t there some huge ethical issue to giving and addict something that is likely contributing to the very lifestyle rehabilitation is trying to pull them out of?

I don’t know any real hardcore drug users, so I ask this question honestly; can someone on meth or heroin function to the point of working an actual job (sweeping a parking lot even) while they’re high? Does an addict have the ability to not get high if they had drugs waiting for them when they wanted?
I’m sure there lots of actual drug users out there who manage to keep it together. But if you were a user, and the option was either go to work to make a pay cheque to pay for rent or go to the centre and score another hit, housing be damned, which would it be?

The notion is great. Less petty crime and theft, no need for violent assaults of drug deals and robberies. But is the trade off having to accept a tremendous amount of people who are just existing to get ####ed up? Who is responsible for providing the housing and care for someone who has had their poison gifted to them?
I don't think it would be unethical if the focus is harm reduction. Any kind of policy like this would need to be closely monitored to see if it increased negative outcomes of overdoses or overall use in the population and numerous other indicators.

I don't know enough about the how homelessness occurs to comment whether or not a policy like this would increase it. I do have some thoughts though. If homelessness is caused by spending your recreational money on drugs until drug use prevents you from maintaining your job then homelessness would not change as a result of a free drug policy as the choice isn't free drugs or rent; Its drugs or rent. If homelessness is caused by people spending their money on drugs instead of rent then a free drug policy could keep them in housing. I don't see a case where free drugs cause homelessness among addicts.

Where I do see issues is that by providing access to drugs for free you increase overall use in the population. Though the reason most people don't use fentynal isn't cost so maybe it doesn't have an affect. You are right that if price is limiting use than reducing price would increase use and basic economics suggest that this would be the case.

As for who is responsible for the people who live life just to get high would be the same people who are now. Society currently bares the costs of these lifestyles through organized crime, petty theft, homelessness, incarceration etc. If something like free drugs were to work it would reduce these societal costs and decrease harm to users. Or maybe it turns out horrible and increases both the number and severity of addicts.

I think Portugal's success with decriminalisation is an interesting start. To me legal and government regulated seems like the next logical step if the goal is to treat this like an illness rather than a vice.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #384
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Sure, but there's a lot better spots geographically in downtown that don't have a high concentration of businesses and residents.
Classic NIMBYism. Not here, but over there.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #385
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danijam View Post
I’m feeling a bit misquoted here. It was all homeless people, not just the junkies. Also, Sliver is not a troll. This is who he is.
Most charming couple ever?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #386
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Classic NIMBYism. Not here, but over there.
Pretty much sums up the majority of this thread.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #387
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

"NIMBYism" has lost all meaning.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #388
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's very simple. There are people who accept changes in their neighbourhood and people who don't.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #389
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least it's not in your backyard, right?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #390
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I guess it depends what you thought it meant. While I can't guess, here's the definition the rest of us are using:

Quote:
Nim·by
/ˈnimbē/
nouninformal
noun: Nimby; plural noun: Nimbys; plural noun: Nimbiess

a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or potentially dangerous in their own neighborhood, such as a landfill or hazardous waste facility, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.
Fill us in on your unique definition?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #391
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's very simple. There are people who accept changes in their neighbourhood and people who don't.

Turns out that increased crime is a change that most people aren't willing to accept.

But it's far easier for you to bleat meaningless phrases than acknowledge problems.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #392
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think NIMBY-ism is pretty rational in situations like this, especially if you have young kids and a family. SIS and the issues that come with them would be the last thing I'd want my kids around. As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe living or working around one either. I don't think that's a negative position to have at all.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #393
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am 100% for supervised injection sites, that said, I can sympathize why someone would not want to live near one. It's a complicated issue. Those who are concerned about them should not be ignored. That said, not implementing them IMO is not an option.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #394
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am 100% for supervised injection sites, that said, I can sympathize why someone would not want to live near one. It's a complicated issue. Those who are concerned about them should not be ignored. That said, not implementing them IMO is not an option.
Concerns can be mitigated appropriately, but to your point, this shouldn't extend to opposing necessary healthcare services to the vulnerable.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #395
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Concerns can be mitigated appropriately, but to your point, this shouldn't extend to opposing necessary healthcare services to the vulnerable.
As long as it's out in a farmers field, surrounded by a huge wall with barbwire of course
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #396
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Turns out that increased crime is a change that most people aren't willing to accept.

But it's far easier for you to bleat meaningless phrases than acknowledge problems.
"bleat"
Old 08-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #397
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I think NIMBY-ism is pretty rational in situations like this, especially if you have young kids and a family. SIS and the issues that come with them would be the last thing I'd want my kids around. As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe living or working around one either. I don't think that's a negative position to have at all.
My wife has worked in the area between Alpha House and the Mustard Seed for 5 years and does not feel unsafe going out each day. If anything, the drivers in the area are a much bigger hazard than addicts shooting the #### in the shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #398
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
My wife has worked in the area between Alpha House and the Mustard Seed for 5 years and does not feel unsafe going out each day. If anything, the drivers in the area are a much bigger hazard than addicts shooting the #### in the shade.
That's good - I'm truly glad she feels safe. I'm saying that I wouldn't personally feel safe living or working by a SIS, and that's okay. I'm pointing out that it's okay to have NIMBY-ism regarding places like this without being labelled as someone who just doesn't give a #### about addicts. There are lots of legitimate concerns.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #399
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except safety isn't really one of them. Anecdotally or statistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #400
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Anecdotally or statistically.
Are you saying the Calgary Police are peddling fake news?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote