Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #201
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
^ Given his experience, with any team you could count on an bounce back season.

With last year's Oilers, where Lowe finally got enough trust of Katz to retake the organizational reigns and his ego pushed the coach and GM (who had previous taken his PHOP role) out and basically abandon the season as soon as McLellan was fired, there's a better chance of a bounce back for any player now in a new situation.

Just like whever Reider and Poolparty end up.
I've mentioned this many times, but its really difficult and dangerous to try and draw many conclusions from Oilers. Just all of it.

The team is a shambles, the management is a mess, they are completely directionless and rudderless.

And while last season among one of the Oilers' best seasons in 20 years thats a low, low bar. It was still a complete circus and that bleeds onto the ice.

Mike Smith is used to playing in a clown-show like Arizona so he should fit in seamlessly up there, but it undoubtedly affected Talbot's play along with most of the rest of their players.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #202
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

All I know is for the first time in a while I'm not going into this season questioning our goaltending.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #203
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
All I know is for the first time in a while I'm not going into this season questioning our goaltending.
My only real concern is that it seems that Smith got a lot of starts near the end of the season/playoffs due to a knee injury Rittich sustained.

Those injuries can be killer for athletic goaltenders so I'm hoping he comes back at 100% because I think Big Save Dave has all the tools and further, I'm hoping we dont get sucked into a bigger contract to Talbot who is on the wrong side of 30.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #204
kukkudo
First Line Centre
 
kukkudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My only real concern is that it seems that Smith got a lot of starts near the end of the season/playoffs due to a knee injury Rittich sustained.

Those injuries can be killer for athletic goaltenders so I'm hoping he comes back at 100% because I think Big Save Dave has all the tools and further, I'm hoping we dont get sucked into a bigger contract to Talbot who is on the wrong side of 30.
But If Talbot steals the show and leads the Flames deep, the man will be paid.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #205
VilleN
Scoring Winger
 
VilleN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
All I know is for the first time in a while I'm not going into this season questioning our goaltending.
How on earth are you not questioning our goaltending situation? Rittich, while he played well is still very unproven. Talbot has been awful for two seasons.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #206
mrdonkey
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
All I know is for the first time in a while I'm not going into this season questioning our goaltending.

Really? It is one of several questions I still have about this team that haven’t been sufficiently addressed.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #207
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How on earth are you not questioning our goaltending situation? Rittich, while he played well is still very unproven. Talbot has been awful for two seasons.
Cam Talbot had a .908 SV % in 2017/2018...while playing on the Edmonton Oilers.

I wouldn't call that awful, but certainly not great. If Talbot can deliver his career average .915, it'll be a hell of a deal for us.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-18-2019 at 02:39 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #208
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

I think Rittich has shown enough over the last couple years to be given more rope. Talbot will get that Edmonton goalie bounce back. Bottom line it isn't a combination of Hiller, Ramo, Ortio, Elliot and Johnson.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #209
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How on earth are you not questioning our goaltending situation?
By just simply not questioning it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #210
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

I have a feeling Rittich will come out of the gate with the starters job. He'll get into his own head about being the starter and will falter under the pressure.

Talbot will come in and be the steady hand of experience, win the net for about 25 games, allowing Rittich to get his confidence back with controlled starts.

Rittich retakes the reigns at about game 60 and leads us to the promised land.

Talbot is the perfect type of tendy to do that job.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #211
VilleN
Scoring Winger
 
VilleN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
By just simply not questioning it.
It is a lot easier not to think.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #212
VilleN
Scoring Winger
 
VilleN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Cam Talbot had a .908 SV % in 2017/2018...while playing on the Edmonton Oilers.

I wouldn't call that awful, but certainly not great. If Talbot can deliver his career average .915, it'll be a hell of a deal for us.
Fair enough, but that doesn't leave me confident in our goal tending situation. I'm not going into this season thinking we have that position solved, on to the next problem... it's a reasonable solution, given what's available... but I wouldn't say it's solid by any means.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #213
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Fair enough, but that doesn't leave me confident in our goal tending situation. I'm not going into this season thinking we have that position solved, on to the next problem... it's a reasonable solution, given what's available... but I wouldn't say it's solid by any means.
For sure ... but the Flames had the 21st ranked team save percentage last year and won the conference.

While the goaltending situation may not be fixed, it certainly doesn't need to be lights out to be the same or better than last season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #214
VilleN
Scoring Winger
 
VilleN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
For sure ... but the Flames had the 21st ranked team save percentage last year and won the conference.

While the goaltending situation may not be fixed, it certainly doesn't need to be lights out to be the same or better than last season.
I agree, it's not worrying me because the team is pretty deep and talented otherwise, particularly on D. It's hard to evaluate what the Flames need - during the regular season we needed goaltending, during the playoffs we needed everything but.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #215
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How on earth are you not questioning our goaltending situation? Rittich, while he played well is still very unproven. Talbot has been awful for two seasons.
Rittich played incredible (legit starter) until he got an injury early 2019. Unless you missed the injury you have to understand that he was at "strong starter level" last season.

I have no reservations about Rittich other than staying healthy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #216
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Rittich played incredible (legit starter) until he got an injury early 2019. Unless you missed the injury you have to understand that he was at "strong starter level" last season.
He was but until he has another strong season people are going to be cautious to proclaim him a legit starter and not just someone who played like one for a season.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #217
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
For sure ... but the Flames had the 21st ranked team save percentage last year and won the conference.

While the goaltending situation may not be fixed, it certainly doesn't need to be lights out to be the same or better than last season.
I don't think we can expect the same number of players to have career years again though either.

Goaltending needs to be better and in general, the teams needs to play tougher hockey.

Some players will take a step back and some a step forward, but the only way to mitigate the risk that more take a step back, is to improve where you know the weaknesses were. Goaltending was a weakness, and I am not convinced it will be improved.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #218
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Rittich was rock solid until the ASB.

Like I could not have been happier with the starts he pumped out from game to game. Well positioned, efficient (limited) movements, no panic and super reliable to keep it under 3 against for the most part, which was a big reason for the second overall finish.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #219
blender
Powerplay Quarterback
 
blender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kamloops
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't think we can expect the same number of players to have career years again though either.

Goaltending needs to be better and in general, the teams needs to play tougher hockey.

Some players will take a step back and some a step forward, but the only way to mitigate the risk that more take a step back, is to improve where you know the weaknesses were. Goaltending was a weakness, and I am not convinced it will be improved.
Totally fair point's made, but there is so little certainty in how the season is going to go in any given year how could you be convinced?
I wouldn't be convinced that the goaltending would be good if Carey Price was our starter.

I'll take the duo we have though.

What can you do?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #220
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
It is a lot easier not to think.
Your damn right it is. It should be the last thing on any rational humans mind. Its a game played by millionaires. It has literally zero inpact on the important things in life. Unless its Vancouver losing the cup(x2)then the resulting damage impacts real funding in the city. It just a game so why worry really? Hopefully next year will be fun and the goaltending does look better so far so lets see what happens.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016