Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #2141
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have 10 feet between my house and the fence. If I want to leave 2.5-3ft for a walkway between them, that 60cm becomes pretty valuable.
I have no idea what you're trying to do. Is this the side of the house or the back of the house? If it's the side, best to put to the shed next to the house. If it's the back of the house, you have a very tiny backyard.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #2142
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the side. The shed is currently against the house, but it is sinking and rotting and I need to replace the house siding. Given the location of other stuff, it makes more sense to build a new shed and have the path between the house and shed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #2143
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a small wooden garden shed along the property line with my neighbour. It is about 6 inches from the fence, so painting is a little tricky. The house has been sold at least twice with the shed and it has never been a problem.

I vaguely remember being told, maybe from the home inspector, that because it has a wood base rather than a concrete slab, it is a movable (temporary?) structure so it is ok. Maybe the bylaws have changed since 2004, but take that for what it is worth.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #2144
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
I have a small wooden garden shed along the property line with my neighbour. It is about 6 inches from the fence, so painting is a little tricky. The house has been sold at least twice with the shed and it has never been a problem.

I vaguely remember being told, maybe from the home inspector, that because it has a wood base rather than a concrete slab, it is a movable (temporary?) structure so it is ok. Maybe the bylaws have changed since 2004, but take that for what it is worth.
Doesn't matter what it's made of. Assuming it isn't physically attached to the house it is considered an accessory building, and if its under 10m3 (107sq ft), the city doesn't generally care about it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #2145
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Doesn't matter what it's made of. Assuming it isn't physically attached to the house it is considered an accessory building, and if its under 10m3 (107sq ft), the city doesn't generally care about it.

Quote:
Accessory residential buildings under 10 mē in area typically do not require a building permit; however, the building must still follow the rules listed below to comply with the Land Use Bylaw.
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...ds.aspx#bylaws

So not sure your statement is true.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #2146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I'd try out the new chat on the city site, nice quick answer for us:

Quote:
The building may go up to the side property line (as long as the property line is not shared with a street), as long as it meets all of the following requirements:
•The exterior is maintenance-free (examples of maintenance-free materials include: vinyl and stucco) or the owner of the adjacent parcel grants a private maintenance easement.

•All water drainage off of the building remains on the property.

•There is no eave overhang onto the adjacent lot.So as long as you are meeting these rules there - because the building is under 10m2 and you make sure it's meeting the rules listed on this page:
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...ds.aspx#bylaws
You do not need to meet the fire rated drywall requirement for a shed. So there ya go.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #2147
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

While the city says it needs to meet the code requirements, but in reality they also don't enforce or care about those small accessory buildings unless someone complains about something major. Sure if you build a shed out of matches and someone complained they would enforce the applicable code given the risks at play, but if we're talking a run of the mill shed no one is going to bat an eye if it is against the fence like 90% of sheds in the city. You'd have to have a D-bag neighbour who complained incessantly.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #2148
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey anybody ever tinted broom-finished concrete? I have a stamped concrete back patio tinted charcoal grey and I really like it. Now I'm getting concrete poured in the front for a walkway and another patio. I don't want stamped because it's too slippery and too much maintenance to keep it glossy. My question is, has anyone tinted concrete? I'm thinking of going charcoal grey...would that be cool or a mistake? The concrete guy is suggesting you can't go wrong with just natural colour (kinda white), but I'm not sure. Don't want aggregate, either, as it's an additional $4k for all I'm getting done.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:38 PM   #2149
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you say tinted, are you talking about just coloured? I think if I was to do something coloured for myself I'd go darker than a grey. One concern for me though is it it cracks or if you need to replace some, or add, you'll never match the colour. I do think coloured looks nice though.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #2150
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I would think if it was tinted that would happen in the mix and it would at least be a consistent color. I’d do it just to see what it would look like but that’s me. The poster above raises a good point, you’d never be able to replicate the color down the road.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #2151
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darker concrete does conceal the shadowline cracks better though.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #2152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is a powder they put in when mixing, but I like the dark look a lot. Usually you see it on city projects where they alternate light/dark like around the BMO Amphitheater, and maybe some sections of the river walk?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #2153
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yes, I think it's a powder, too. That's how they did my stamped concrete. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake with a broom-finished concrete, but I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks guys.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #2154
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP brain trust I need your help

Our previous homes owner decided not to run ethernet cable in an attic wire run they put in the upstairs bonus room. I found reasonable in wall HDMI and speaker wire, but what can I do for ethernet cable that will not violate the code? I don't want to buy 500 feet of this stuff.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #2155
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
CP brain trust I need your help

Our previous homes owner decided not to run ethernet cable in an attic wire run they put in the upstairs bonus room. I found reasonable in wall HDMI and speaker wire, but what can I do for ethernet cable that will not violate the code? I don't want to buy 500 feet of this stuff.
Bonus room? Sounds so uneccessary. Must be nice.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
V
Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #2156
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Bonus room? Sounds so uneccessary. Must be nice.
It's where I keep all my cheap BBQ's that break every 3 months
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #2157
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any CMR rated should be fine. Ya, it's 250 feet but it is cheap

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Cat5...s&sr=1-13&th=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #2158
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Thanks Fuzz, looks like CMR is the magic word I was missing
Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #2159
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yes, I think it's a powder, too. That's how they did my stamped concrete. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake with a broom-finished concrete, but I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks guys.
Yeah, it's a powder. Source : I used to make concrete at a small concrete plant. I would definitely do it for myself, especially a black colour.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #2160
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone here live in a house with a slab on grade foundation? Can you think of any Pro's or Con's? Obviously its quite a bit cheaper than a basement to build, but I wonder about other issues and the like.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote