Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #2121
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi CP, not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I was taking a look at the dryer vent on the side of our house and realized that it may be a little close to the furnace intake. The dryer vent is located above and to the left with a diagonal distance of 2 feet. Is this safe?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #2122
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started clearing out the grass from between the expansion joints in my driveway and they joints seem to go down quite a bit. I don't want any more grass or random seeds to blow in there, so should I fill these in with paving sand or something? Or should they just be clean?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #2123
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I started clearing out the grass from between the expansion joints in my driveway and they joints seem to go down quite a bit. I don't want any more grass or random seeds to blow in there, so should I fill these in with paving sand or something? Or should they just be clean?
You'll want an expansion joint filler.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crack-St...2051/203658275

Or similar product. Definitely not sand, things will continue to grow (with paving sand), or if it polymeric sand, it'll just break up as it moves.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #2124
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyBelow View Post
Hi CP, not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I was taking a look at the dryer vent on the side of our house and realized that it may be a little close to the furnace intake. The dryer vent is located above and to the left with a diagonal distance of 2 feet. Is this safe?
Should be fine, many houses are like that (including mine) assuming we're talking the actual laundry exhaust from an electric dryer and not the combustion exhaust from a gas dryer. The latter is probably no bueno, but luckily gas dryers are uncommon in Calgary.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #2125
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for some advice re: irrigation system. Specifically, I was thinking of using one of the external taps as the water source for a Rainbird system. I tested psi at 55 and GPM at only 5. Turns out the pex to that tap is only 1/2". Is this sufficient as long as I keep the number of heads per zone to 4 or 5 of the small ones? Should I replace that line with 3/4"? Should I run a new line altogether? My yard isn't huge, but I was hoping to get away with 6 zones total, including 2 for flowerbeds/trees.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #2126
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Looking for some advice re: irrigation system. Specifically, I was thinking of using one of the external taps as the water source for a Rainbird system. I tested psi at 55 and GPM at only 5. Turns out the pex to that tap is only 1/2". Is this sufficient as long as I keep the number of heads per zone to 4 or 5 of the small ones? Should I replace that line with 3/4"? Should I run a new line altogether? My yard isn't huge, but I was hoping to get away with 6 zones total, including 2 for flowerbeds/trees.
I don't know a ton about irrigation/sprinklers, but I can tell you PEX is worse than copper for restriction. 1/2" copper maintains its inner diameter through all the fittings, whereas the brass fittings for pex drop the inner diameter to about 3/8" restricting flow. The 90's are also sharp, causing further restriction.

Most sprinklers systems create a decent demand and require the extra capacity of 3/4" line, so I would suggest you need to upsize the line.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #2127
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I don't know a ton about irrigation/sprinklers, but I can tell you PEX is worse than copper for restriction. 1/2" copper maintains its inner diameter through all the fittings, whereas the brass fittings for pex drop the inner diameter to about 3/8" restricting flow. The 90's are also sharp, causing further restriction.

Most sprinklers systems create a decent demand and require the extra capacity of 3/4" line, so I would suggest you need to upsize the line.
Yeah, I didn't even consider the fittings. I will get some new lines run. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #2128
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting in a shed and bylaw states it has to be 3 ft away from fences...is it worth it to just forego that and put it against the fences? What are the odds the city finds out or someone complains?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #2129
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

How big is your shed? Under 10 sq meters, no permit required.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #2130
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

10*8, but it has to be 3 feet away from fences. At least in Edmonton.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #2131
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
10*8, but it has to be 3 feet away from fences. At least in Edmonton.
I like to be at least 300km away from the fences in Edmonton, but YMMV.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #2132
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

0.6 meters if I'm reading this right. That's what I did for my shed anyway.

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...x#height-rules
Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #2133
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either way, I'm wondering if it's worth the risk and just put it against my fence.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #2134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asking the question is more than 99% of people would think to do. I'd probably not worry about it, but see what the exceptions are. In the Calgary case, you can build to the property line if the siding is maintenance free and the interior is fire rated drywall, though I'm not even sure if that is required for a shed.

I'll be rebuilding mine next year close to the fence. I'd like to get as close as possible so will need to take a look then. Will go with vinyl siding, and if I have to put up a sheet of drywall inside for $20, I'll do that too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #2135
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's only an issue when you go to sell or someone complains. I can't see it being high on bylaw's priority list, but it would sure suck to tear it down to move it 2 feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #2136
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put it on a movable ish base. I had to make a floor support for mine (plastic shed) which is basically a wall of 2x4s 16" apart and a plywood face.

It's all pressure treated of course, however if I had to I could empty it and drag it a few feet.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #2137
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to clear all of 60 cm, which is perfectly doable.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #2138
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
You have to clear all of 60 cm, which is perfectly doable.
I have 10 feet between my house and the fence. If I want to leave 2.5-3ft for a walkway between them, that 60cm becomes pretty valuable.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #2139
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your neighbour is ok with you placing it closer to your fence then just do so. Then worry about moving it out if it becomes an issue if you sell.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #2140
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first answer was the right answer. Most garden sheds are well under the city's threshold for 'accessory buildings' that they care about, either for permitting or RPR compliance or issues.

Being a good neighbour you could give him a heads up, but honestly, doesn't really matter. Go for it. There is a reason 99% of sheds are against fences in Calgary and you've never heard of it being an issue.