Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #41
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the Sharks know how to lift the puck, look out.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #42
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This one is tough to pick for me because the Flames never gave the Avs much of a challenge at all so although we know how great that top line is, I'm not sure about their D or goaltending. Are they great because they beat the first place team or are they over-rated because that first place team just rolled over? Even though the Sharks are beat up I'd have to pick them in 7 (I think).
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #43
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be fun to watch MacKinnon do his thing in the playoffs against a team other than us. That said, I'm a little worried the Avs will suddenly revert back to looking like an 8 seed against SJ, which will just make us look like complete chumps. So go Avs, I guess..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharts are a rival of the Flames, therefore you do not cheer for them by default.

Avs are not in the division so it's more tolerable to see them win.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Sharts are a rival of the Flames
This sort of thing reflects terribly on you. It's not funny or clever, just cringe-worthy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #46
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This sort of thing reflects terribly on you. It's not funny or clever, just cringe-worthy.

Relax.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #47
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Lol how dare you impugn the good name of the san Josie sharks. Pistols at dawn sir as you've brought nothing but shame upon this forum and I demand satisfaction.

Avs in 6. Jones sucks.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #48
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
As a fan, I can’t fathom why you’d want this. Wouldn’t you rather see the Avs go on to be a dominant force in the playoffs, indicating that the Flames aren’t as far from contender status as previously thought? Really can’t understand why a fan would want the Flames to be bad... do you hope the Oilers win the cup next year, just to really stick it to the Flames?
Because the Flames WERE BAD, very bad, and I don’t want to see them look at this next series and think they were close. They need to accept they were terrible and work on being not terrible next time.
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Avs and their top line are going to make this a short series with the Avs winning in 5 games. They've had plenty of time to sit back and analyze the Sharks game and will be well prepaired.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #50
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Crapalanche vs. the Baby Sharks... Calgary wins this series by not having to watch this ass-tacular spectacle of fecal matter
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
hey cool this car has virtue signals

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to cheer for players at this point. I have a soft spot for Thornton, and I hope he scores four goals in a cup final. I sometimes like Burns and Hertl. I like Mackinnon's game a lot now that I've seen it close up. But I don't like Kane, don't like Landeskog so I guess I have to reserve judgment on this one.

I do like when teams that I don't hate that eliminate the Flames have success on the "well at least we weren't the only one) basis.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #53
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The break will do the Avs a favour. their top line needs any break they can get. That said, the team with momentum has a lot going for them.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #54
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope it goes to 7 games, then to OT and someone wins as a result of the most ticky-tacky call by the back referee off of an oscar-nomination worthy embellishment of a play that none of the officials actually saw happen.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also get major eye rolls from my wife when I refer to the Rangers as Rags, the Leafs as Leaves and Bruins with a French accent (like Drouin).

I do regret that it reflects terribly on me though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #56
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
As a fan, I can’t fathom why you’d want this. Wouldn’t you rather see the Avs go on to be a dominant force in the playoffs, indicating that the Flames aren’t as far from contender status as previously thought? Really can’t understand why a fan would want the Flames to be bad... do you hope the Oilers win the cup next year, just to really stick it to the Flames?
I'd rather ownership & management not be under any delusions that this Flames team is one or two players away from winning a Stanley Cup. There are major issues with this squad; the Avs exposed them in a huge way.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #57
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Sharks in 4 just to show us how far off the Flames really are from being a contender.

What? No. It just show that San Jose has more playoff experience and puck luck.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I'd rather ownership & management not be under any delusions that this Flames team is one or two players away from winning a Stanley Cup. There are major issues with this squad; the Avs exposed them in a huge way.
I don't think teams with "major issues" win the conference. Nashville has been lights out in the regular season but just can't get over the hump. They don't have major issues.

I think some of it was luck, some of it was hustle, and some of it was confidence this playoff. Avs had some good bounces too. You may need to change some players, but there aren't "major issues".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #59
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Sharks in 6. Avs are an overrated one line team.
I keep hearing this, but that one line dominated the entire Flames team. So I guess it's better to have one line going than mediocre depth.

Also Dallas was supposed to be a one line team too (Benn/Seguin/Radulov) and they won their series as well...
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #60
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't think teams with "major issues" win the conference. Nashville has been lights out in the regular season but just can't get over the hump. They don't have major issues.

I think some of it was luck, some of it was hustle, and some of it was confidence this playoff. Avs had some good bounces too. You may need to change some players, but there aren't "major issues".
There are major issues. If these players lacked hustle and/or confidence during the series, I would definitely call those major issues.

If you think the difference in the series was luck, you clearly didn't watch the same series that I did.

As far as regular season goes, sure the Flames went on quite a run in the first half of the season, but were 13th in the NHL in points percentage since the ASB.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote