Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #861
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm gonna say it, I didn't like Witcher 3.

Wasn't the story or graphics or anything like that. I thought the controls were clunky and it made it hard to get into the game.
I completely agree with this. Clunky's a great word for the controls too. I really wanted to be able to get into this because it seemed up my alley, but couldn't get past about 2hrs of trying to get used to the controls. Gave up.

edit: (on PC, mouse & keyboard)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #862
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically everyone who had an issue with it played a PC port?

It's a really, really good game. You're missing out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #863
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played it on PC and the controls didn't get in the way of my enjoyment.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #864
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played it on PC too and love it. Keyboard and mouse is right up my alley anyway though, I can't stand controllers

Last edited by btimbit; 03-07-2019 at 06:56 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #865
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure this has been covered but is RE2 a good one to buy? I've never played any of the previous games but watched some vids on it on Steam last night and it looks hella good. I'm always a bit hesitant to pay full retail on a game though. I've been hurt in the past
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #866
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think third-person games lend themselves better to a controller. Whereas I just can't get used to first-person games with one.

I'll retry Witcher with a controller.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #867
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say that the latest updates to Civ 6 have really improved thd game. Got both the R&F and GS expansion packs from GMG for about $60 and I think it's money well spent. Late game isn't nearly the slog it used to be.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #868
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'm sure this has been covered but is RE2 a good one to buy? I've never played any of the previous games but watched some vids on it on Steam last night and it looks hella good. I'm always a bit hesitant to pay full retail on a game though. I've been hurt in the past
I thoroughly enjoyed it but I love the RE franchise. Do you enjoy creepy and at times suspenseful games? If so it's a no-brainer. Just remember going in that it's not an all-out action game and more of a slower paced survival game where ammunition is scarce and every bullet matters. At the beginning of the game you have to choose between playing Claire or Leon. It really doesn't matter which one you choose because this is a game you have to play through twice to get the proper ending and there's variances between each storyline and it's just as fun to play through the 2nd time as it was the first. Getting burned paying full retail for a mediocre game sucks but RE2 is a AAA game IMO and worth the price.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #869
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I think third-person games lend themselves better to a controller. Whereas I just can't get used to first-person games with one.

I'll retry Witcher with a controller.
The Witcher is similar toe RDR 2 in that the control scheme is clunky at first but over time you get used to it. I know that everyone has different opinions but to me it's the pinnacle of gaming and the best game I have ever played and if you are having a difficult time initially it's worth working through to have the experience of playing the game to the end. My sister isn't a hardcore gamer but even she managed to finish the game so it shouldn't be a deal breaker for any seasoned gamer. Heck the card game Gwent is so fun it's almost a game on its own.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #870
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed it but I love the RE franchise. Do you enjoy creepy and at times suspenseful games? If so it's a no-brainer. Just remember going in that it's not an all-out action game and more of a slower paced survival game where ammunition is scarce and every bullet matters. At the beginning of the game you have to choose between playing Claire or Leon. It really doesn't matter which one you choose because this is a game you have to play through twice to get the proper ending and there's variances between each storyline and it's just as fun to play through the 2nd time as it was the first. Getting burned paying full retail for a mediocre game sucks but RE2 is a AAA game IMO and worth the price.
Awesome, thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #871
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I think steam has a demo of re2, give it a shot. It was up at one point at least

Last edited by btimbit; 03-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #872
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Witcher, like literally 99% of third-person games ever made, plays much better with a controller, especially on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #873
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half hour in to RE2 and LOVING it. Great game so far.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #874
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know I'll be in the minority here but what is it that people like about Witcher 3? I gave it 8 hours or so and just said meh. Game play was pretty boring, combat was terrible, story was interesting but not enough to keep my interest. Maybe I just don't like western RPGs because I felt the same about Skyrim after 10 hours or so.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #875
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I know I'll be in the minority here but what is it that people like about Witcher 3? I gave it 8 hours or so and just said meh. Game play was pretty boring, combat was terrible, story was interesting but not enough to keep my interest. Maybe I just don't like western RPGs because I felt the same about Skyrim after 10 hours or so.
I am not normally a fan of RPGs or hack and slash but just love The Witcher 3. The great story telling and role playing as Geralt got me hooked. It was so much fun being this cool kick ass monster hunter solving problems, romancing ladies, and making tough morally ambiguous decisions. When you add to this the massive open world to explore, side quests with better stories that some entire games, and an overall story that sets the standard for epic dark fantasy you've got yourself one of the best games ever made.

That said the gameplay and combat does take some getting used to and wasn't fun enough for me to justify a 2nd play through yet.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #876
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I picked up the first two Witchers on cheap sales awhile ago, ended up hating both due to clumsy controls and combat that is more of a chore than fun. Looks like I'll pass on 3, seems like it suffers from the same issues
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #877
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fancy a game of Gwent?

<nods>
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #878
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I just don't like western RPGs because I felt the same about Skyrim after 10 hours or so.
Isn't Witcher 3 Polish?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #879
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Isn't Witcher 3 Polish?
Maybe you're making a joke, but I think the poster means the difference between North American/European made RPGs and those, say, from Japanese developers.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #880
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Maybe you're making a joke, but I think the poster means the difference between North American/European made RPGs and those, say, from Japanese developers.
No joke - didn't clue in at all. I assumed they meant North American compared to everywhere else.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote