Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #681
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It looks amazing but I'm not sure if I want it because I'm a big chicken. I really liked RE4 and 5, but they were more action games than survival-horror. Haven't played anything else in the series. I've had scary games before like Dead Space and find I just dread playing them, even though they are excellent, and eventually just trade them in.

Think I should still give it a shot?
The demo gives you 30 mins to try it out. Worth a shot to see if it interests you.

It’s classic survival horror. Dark, scary zombies, limited health and ammo. Focus on exploration instead of speed.

I turned off the lights and played about an hour last night. Definitely had a few jump scares and a few times I noped the #### out of there when a bunch of zombies appeared.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #682
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone play Elite Dangerous? Humble store has it on sale for $20 for the game + expansion, but I'm curious if it's a better game now than at launch when there was very little actual gameplay
Worst game I've ever played. That might be a bit of an exaggeration but I really did not enjoy it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #683
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It looks amazing but I'm not sure if I want it because I'm a big chicken. I really liked RE4 and 5, but they were more action games than survival-horror. Haven't played anything else in the series. I've had scary games before like Dead Space and find I just dread playing them, even though they are excellent, and eventually just trade them in.

Think I should still give it a shot?

It’s a game of the highest quality. I definitely understand that sense of dread, which is why I usually wuss-out and do my first play through on an easier difficulty.

I think it’s definitely worth it. Yeah, the tension will get to you but just like Resident Evil 7 VR was an absolute “cannot miss” experience for me, Resident Evil 2 is just an amazing game and shouldn’t be missed.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #684
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone play Elite Dangerous? Humble store has it on sale for $20 for the game + expansion, but I'm curious if it's a better game now than at launch when there was very little actual gameplay
If you have a joystick and throttle it can be very fun, otherwise don't bother

Last edited by btimbit; 01-26-2019 at 11:16 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #685
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echoing everything here about RE2. Just...exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #686
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If you're thinking about the PC version of Anthem don't bother, at least not at launch. I normally don't pre-order, but with the Anthem VIP demo this weekend and the fact that Origin lets you easily cancel pre-orders I gave it a shot. UI is a total mess on PC, obviously designed for consoles with no thought given to PC controls. On foot combat is ok, but flying is a complete joke with a mouse. This thread goes over all the huge issues with the PC version currently

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa..._afterthought/

Cancelled my pre-order and will probably wait until the first sale, after Bioware hopefully puts some thought into the PC version and gets their server issues fixed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #687
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

RE2 is taking years off my life.

I’ve now died enough times (although i didn’t think it was that many) the game offered me pity and asked if I need to permanently lower the difficulty. #### that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #688
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been living paycheck to paycheck with ink ribbons on Claire's B scenario on hardcore. Its been intense but super fun.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #689
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're thinking about the PC version of Anthem don't bother, at least not at launch. I normally don't pre-order, but with the Anthem VIP demo this weekend and the fact that Origin lets you easily cancel pre-orders I gave it a shot. UI is a total mess on PC, obviously designed for consoles with no thought given to PC controls. On foot combat is ok, but flying is a complete joke with a mouse. This thread goes over all the huge issues with the PC version currently

Cancelled my pre-order and will probably wait until the first sale, after Bioware hopefully puts some thought into the PC version and gets their server issues fixed
Came to post exactly this. Possibly one of the laziest PC ports I've come across
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #690
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I will second this. I "tried" the demo on PC and it's a huge mess. I am constantly running into an infinite loading bug that prevents me from playing. I managed to run through the first mission but the whole thing felt very uninspired. I also have a bunch of issues with the game that aren't related to technical problems. Honestly, I am shocked they put this out into the wild for people to try.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #691
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE2 was a classic growing up... played the demo and boy, did it ever rekindle memories of games like RE4 and Dead Space...

just a sense of constant dread... in a good way... sort of. Definitely creeps me out, but damn, what thrill it was discovering those games the first time around.

I really, really hope that Dead Space comes back... i thought the first two were just phenomenal gaming experiences... hopefully EA relinquishes the rights to someone who actually values the gaming experience and isn't trying to expand market appeal by dumbing it down for the masses.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #692
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played through all the Anthem demo has to offer on PC.
I'll be playing the game when it comes out, as I pay the annual EA Premier subscription (great deal if you buy more than 1 EA game a year at launch).

The PC demo, when it worked, was great. I ran everything on ultra, and experienced buttery smooth gameplay, which was a blast to play with friends. I didn't have an issue with party invites at all - that part went smooth. The combat is super gratifying, and quite easy to navigate with mouse + keyboard - I've heard of some people with issues, but I had a blast navigating the world. Swimming on the other hand - what a mess that was.

Loading into games was a joke. One of us would hit the 95% loading threshold, and could not get in. Fortunately, the fix for us was to ALT+F4 out, then reload the game - we successfully got in 100% of the time using this method. This absolutely needs to be fixed for launch.

The instance was my favorite encounter. We had 3 friends and a random play through it, and never had a full wipe. The encounter felt fair, and was very challenging at parts. We had a decent mix of classes in our group, which made certain aspects of the encounter easier (and others harder - a stormer would have been great to have as well).

Also, no running in the single player hub - seriously?

There wasn't much else to do after you completed the instance and hit level 15, but overall, I liked it and will give it a go on launch. Really hoping they fix the issues that came up in the demo.

They should have called it a VIP Beta this weekend - calling it a VIP Demo makes me think it should have had some more polish to it.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #693
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally finished the main story in Odyssey..with all the free roaming & whatnot, ended up clocking in at 225 hours, such a massive game..and even now I'm technically not done as I still have 6 cultists to hunt down (Ubi Club showing me as 92% done main progression).

Will probably be another 2 weeks or so of finishing off the cultists, exploring areas still marked as "?" on the map, and exploring the final few remaining regions I haven't visited yet (Keos, Lesbos, Chios, Achaea and most of Macedonia), then it's finally time to start Red Dead Redemption 2. Can't wait!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #694
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Odyssey is half price on the Humble Bundle store.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/a...s_tile_index_1
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #695
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've been enjoying my time with Octahedron, which was recently released on the Switch but already on PC/PS4/XB1 for a while. It's an interesting platformer with a lot of flashy colour and good music. Everything is always shifting colours over a black background, almost everything moves and flashes to the beat of the music, and you can make your own platforms to navigate the level (with a limit).

The trailer quoted some site calling it "the dark souls of platformers" which is nauseating and definitely not true. I'm about 50 levels in and have yet to really get frustrated at all.

Last edited by Mazrim; 01-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #696
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap is Shadow of War a grind. I don't know how many hours I put in (shudder to think) and I still have about 3 trophies to go. And I think one of them is going to require more grinding.

Fun, but grinding.

I think I prefer Shadow of Mordor, but the nemesis is better in Shadow of War.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #697
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Holy crap is Shadow of War a grind. I don't know how many hours I put in (shudder to think) and I still have about 3 trophies to go. And I think one of them is going to require more grinding.

Fun, but grinding.

I think I prefer Shadow of Mordor, but the nemesis is better in Shadow of War.
It's on sale for $14.99 for XB1
https://www.amazon.ca/Middle-Earth-S...Bof%2Bwar&th=1
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #698
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to believe that after almost 13 years, Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out tomorrow.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #699
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well this is bloody rich. Two weeks from launch 4A Games announces that the PC version of Metro Exodus is going to be a timed exclusive on the Epic Store. Super nice of them to sell the game $10 cheaper compared to the Steam store but considering the Epic Store only supports USD and Euros it'll actually end up being more expensive for many parts of the world.

The game is still purchasable on Steam until the end of the day but I am taking a hard pass. I have no issue with other store fronts but Epic's tactics are pissing me off.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #700
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not as pissed about it as a was this morning since I probably wont get it for a year anyway but the OCD in me is pissed about the final season of Telltale's The Walking Dead only being on Epic Store. I have every other game from the series on Steam.

Let people have a choice in what client they want to download your games on.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote