Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #3861
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I haven't read this thread. I'm going to be in the minority, but I love this deal.

Hamilton just didn't have that extra gear. I never saw it. I never felt that he gave any extra effort on any given night. While he has elite talents, he doesn't have that drive necessary to become an elite player and a driver of the team. This is all based on personal observations of his demeanor and play on the ice, so obviously it's a pretty weak opinion based on evidence, but I still believe this to be true. I think the culture shift began and ended with a guy like Hamilton. Points are great, and I know we're starved for offense, but I really think this team's problems are about chemistry and mental fortitude rather than just skill.

I like Ferland, but he's terribly inconsistent. When he's on, he's freakin' scary. When he's off, he's barely noticeable. He's off way more than he's on. While he might turn into something better than a 15 goal 30 point power forward, I think that last year's season is probably his career year. Selling high on Ferland is a smart, smart move by Treliving.

Fox has great tools, and he can dominate the college level, but I've watched him (in limited viewings) and his skating turns me off. I don't think he can skate nearly well enough to be an effective NHLer. Just my opinion, but his acceleration is terrible, his top speed is just meh, and he doesn't have the balance or edging you need to be a great offensive defenseman in the NHL. His vision and passing are off the charts. His hockey IQ is great. It might get him to the league, but I don't know for how long. I think he's the 4th best defensive prospect we have after Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington. I'm not going to sweat losing our 4th best defense prospect.

Lindholm is a high IQ center/winger who already puts up 40 points a year and is still very young. I don't know what he'll become, but if he stays there that's still good enough for me. If he improves some and becomes a 50-60 point guy. That's a major shot in the arm to the offense.

Hanifin is the lynchpin to the whole thing. IF he turns out as projected, this is a major homerun. If he doesn't become much more than he is right now, that's still ok because of the defense depth we have.

We basically got two young stars in the making for a star defenseman with questionable work ethic/motivation, an inconsistent 3rd line power forward, and our 4th best defense prospect. I'm ok with this deal. I think it's pretty even.
Just sayin'...

53 points now for Lindholm and we have almost half a season to go. I think that's a little better than a "shot in the arm".

But also...

Noah Hanifin: 23 points and a +7.

Dougie Hamilton: 16 points and a -16.

Franchise altering trade. We are going to look back at this for several years to come as the moment we became contenders.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3862
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I loved Ferly but he doesn't fit on this team anymore
This. Quit trying to recycle old flames who don’t fit anymore.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #3863
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Ferly, but his grit is overrated and he's so streaky. He's also injury prone.

He's a UFA and he's gonna want some money and the Canes are gonna want a return.

Stay away from this guy. Use your tradeable assets for a bonafide goalie so this core can compete for the next 3-6 years.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #3864
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, mortgaging prospects against a streaky, injury-prone "maybe" would make me sad. That's the Darryl Sutter "one player away from the big dance" philosophy that hurt this team for years. We sold high on Ferland and Hamilton. You walk away after that.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #3865
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

And really I doubt Carolina would trade us Ferland anyways.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #3866
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And really I doubt Carolina would trade us Ferland anyways.
I don't want him but they are trading him anyway, so why would it matter (unless you are talking about the GM relationships which I don't really buy).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #3867
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't want him but they are trading him anyway, so why would it matter (unless you are talking about the GM relationships which I don't really buy).
For me I think optics really.

You're trading off what I'm assuming was a major piece of getting the original trade done back to the original team. Doesn't look good on a new GM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #3868
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me I think optics really.

You're trading off what I'm assuming was a major piece of getting the original trade done back to the original team. Doesn't look good on a new GM.
I guess if it's a good return that shouldn't matter. But the fact that the trade turned out so well for the Flames makes it a tad worse.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #3869
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I'm not sure that the canes trade Ferland at all.

They are in the mix for a playoff spot again, and that club needs that to happen more than a return on Ferland. He is a pretty important player for them as they are top heavy as to where they get their scoring from.

I suppose that an offer comes that they can't say no to, but otherwise i think they try and get into the dance instead.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #3870
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Treliving turned a first (#15) and two seconds (#45, #52) into a top line right wing who could hit 80 points this year and a top 4 d-man with top-pairing potential in two years. That alone is insane. Add to that the contacts and cap security. I am so glad that we have Treliving.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #3871
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Did Ferland play in that series vs Anaheim a couple of years ago? I don't remember him being much of a deterrent in that series.
Ferland was injured in the first fame of the second round in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #3872
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1084550476404744192

Adorable.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #3873
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The more time that goes by, the more Carolina is looking like the new St Louis. Hanifin, Lindholm, and Peters all gifted to us right when our team was ready to peak with such additions. Pillaging is so much sweeter when it results in challenging for cups!!

Maybe we go to the well one more time picking up McElhinney and Ferland for Smith at 50% retained and the 2020 2nd and futures. If it actually ends up being a buyer's market at the deadline this could very well be the best that Carolina could get.

Maybe Smith would want the opportunity to play more to have a chance at redeeming himself in hopes of one more contract, anywhere? Most likely not going to happen if he stays here. His compete level is still there. I don't get the feeling Smith is looking at next year as his first year of retirement.

Carolina can still claim to save face about the trade because of Adam Fox. So they'll make this trade for the sake of not looking like they got taken to the woodshed on the last one.

Last edited by It's a great day 4 hockey; 01-20-2019 at 04:07 AM.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #3874
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Thanks for posting this! So cute! I adore Ferly so very much.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #3875
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferly's awesome... it was tough to lose him. But its good to see he's found a good spot in Carolina...

i think that he has mentioned that the lowered glare of media in Carolina has been preferred by him...

it would be great to get him back, but not sure if we would have the assets Carolina would want...they'd probably try to get Lindholm back!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #3876
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Ferly's awesome... it was tough to lose him. But its good to see he's found a good spot in Carolina...

i think that he has mentioned that the lowered glare of media in Carolina has been preferred by him...

it would be great to get him back, but not sure if we would have the assets Carolina would want...they'd probably try to get Lindholm back!
I’m glad he doesn’t like the media attention cause that makes it less likely he signs in another Canadian City.

Tho I could see the Ducks liking him.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #3877
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Since u asked.

He seemed to take Bradley as an insult when I met him this year at the STH year end and I was introduced by my rep.
He shook my hand and I said so Bradley in what way are you going to meddle with a trade this year?
He pretty much glared at me before answer.
Then I said was going into the draft with no picks until the 4th the plan Bradley.
I was pleased that it irritated him.
I didn't let him reply and said what do you think all the fans are here to be all kissy kissy.
I don't like him and I make no bones about it.
This is still one my my favourite parts of the trade
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #3878
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This is still one my my favourite parts of the trade
Heh.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #3879
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m confused by that quote. How does a GM “meddle” in a trade? GMs are supposed to do trades. Owners “meddle”.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #3880
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke was on the morning show and the trade came up. He mentioned he takes no credit for the trade as it was done after he left. What he did mention is the organization was really high on Hanifin. Says Hamilton has better puck skills, but Hanifin is younger and really making strides.

Also mentioned that in his conversations with Fox's agent, he was told Fox would be a four year college player. So the risk of losing for nothing seems to have been established early on. Burke also doesn't think he will sign in Carolina. Reading between the lines it looks like to get him out of college early there will have to be an incentive (i.e. roster spot).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote