Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #1101
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
There have been several comments about how Dougie is already on his third team at age 25 (he just had a birthday last week). Have there been any other players (i.e. good players, not just middling prospects) that have done the same? Just curious how his situation might compare...
Probably Mike Sillinger
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #1102
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Evander Kane immediately comes to mind.
Even then he's stayed with those teams much longer over the span of his trades.

Dougies at what. 2 years a team so far?

Whatever the reasoning is, he's a good player with some problem behind the scenes. Whatever they may be.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #1103
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Is calling him Bradley supposed to be some kind of epic insult?
Since u asked.

He seemed to take Bradley as an insult when I met him this year at the STH year end and I was introduced by my rep.
He shook my hand and I said so Bradley in what way are you going to meddle with a trade this year?
He pretty much glared at me before answer.
Then I said was going into the draft with no picks until the 4th the plan Bradley.
I was pleased that it irritated him.
I didn't let him reply and said what do you think all the fans are here to be all kissy kissy.
I don't like him and I make no bones about it.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #1104
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I thought we signed Bouma to a poor deal based on his one great season and then bought him out?
Correct

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #1105
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Since u asked.

He seemed to take Bradley as an insult when I met him this year at the STH year end and I was introduced by my rep.
He shook my hand and I said so Bradley in what way are you going to meddle with a trade this year?
Then I said was going into the draft with no picks until the 4th the plan Bradley.
I didn't let him reply and said what do you think all the fans are here to be all kissy kissy.
That seems like a pretty dickish thing to do. Brad Treliving has worked in hockey management for a long time and from all accounts seems like an upstanding man with good credentials and a nice family. If, as it appears, you relish the fact that you seemingly insulted him, I significantly question your moral fibre.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1106
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

So damned if he does and damned if he doesn't? And really, you just come off pretty negatively with this story. As a person.

Cool starry bra.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1107
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Probably Mike Sillinger
Yeah, but even he wasn't even closer to Hamiltons level

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #1108
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

Congrats. You're a dink.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #1109
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

Loll stay golden man. Stay golden
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #1110
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

I don't think he was shook by you calling him Bradley, if that story actually happened. Instead, it might have been the lack of respect and social grace.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1111
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ferland is also a very big hot/cold guy and a big reason the top line had long cold spells.

You can't have 1/3 guys on your top line be a streaky player. And if you moved Ferland down the lineup he cannot make an impact at all.

There is more to hockey than scoring 21 goals.
Know what else there is more to? There is more to "streakiness" vs "consistency" than a player simple being hot/cold. A guy who is getting generous first unit power play time will probably be perceived as more "consistent" than a guy who isn't. A guy who gets a ton of 3 on 3 ice time, likewise.

I get that there were games where Ferland played bad - but there were also games where Gaudreau played bad, where Monahan played bad, where Backlund played bad. The mistake you can't make is add up "bad games" with "pointless games" and equate that to inconsistency. Most top players will go through slumps in a season just like lesser players - but their slumps will be less obvious because they'll pick up a power play assist here or there.

The reality is that very few power play units Gulutzan constructed last year were successful - despite that, Ferland did give us six power play goals in very limited time.

I'll agree that there are areas where I found Ferland's play lacking - specifically I would say he wasn't very good at deflecting point shots the way Tkachuk or previously on that line, Hudler was, and he was often guilty of making riskier passes on the breakout that had a tendency to burn him. But I don't buy that his streakiness cost his line at any point in the season any more than any player's hot/cold stretch would have.

Further, he wasn't the only "third best player on a line" in the NHL. Every team has three players constructing a line and the number of teams that had three elite players on a line can probably be counter on one hand (uh.. Boston... Winnipeg... that's about it. Even Tampa was more two players + a third).

In truth, I don't think the Flames' forward core is better today than it was should have expected to be at the beginning of last season (when Versteeg was healthy and Backlund/Frolik/Bennett didn't have the worst SH% seasons of their careers and Hathaway wasn't inexplicably a top 9 forward). While Lindholm does address a legitimate need, the acquisition came at an actual cost in terms of finishing ability as Lindholm's shot has been described by Canes fans as a "muffin" - something no one would say about Ferland's shot. I do actually like our blue line going into next season but the void is very real in our goal scoring ability. Lindholm's finishing ability at this point should not be considered better than Bennett, Backlund, or Frolik. That would place him behind Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Jankowski as a goal scoring threat - this isn't about whether Ferland put up numbers with good linemates - it's about the fact that Ferland's shot allowed him to put up numbers despite limited ice time. Lindholm has some potential as goal scorer, but it's not as if he's especially consistent. And for those hoping to promote Tkachuk to the Gaudreau/Monahan line, that would probably just bite deeper into the depth of the team as Tkachuk pretty much carried his line last year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1112
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Comparing player vs player stats is pointless anyways. We won't know how the new guys impact the team until they play games.

It's obvious that the Flames needed a change and it looks like Hamilton wanted one too.

To me there were 3 very valuable pieces, a depth winger and a hard to sign prospect involved here.

We ended up with 2 very valuable pieces.

Maybe we shouldn't look at winners and losers, but how these teams look 1 - 3 - 5 years down the road after these moves.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1113
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1114
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Then he should be relieved of his duties. It was blatantly obvious that this team was short on scoring last year and this trade actually sent two of our better scorers out of town. This team needed a proven scorer added to the lineup without removing g any scoring that already existed. Treliving failed to address the most pressing need on this roster and he pretty well just blew his wad in making this trade. Gone are the two best trade assets we had, and we are still left with the exact same scoring need. If this is all he’s going to do, he should be sacked and just save the team a season of frustration and mediocrity. If he can’t solve the biggest challenge facing the team, and he keeps burning through our best assets to do so, then he’s part of the problem.
Since you want to talk assets. Treliving turned a mid first, two seconds, and two late picks (granted, Ferland is a Sutter relic) into two top five picks.

Those two top 5 picks have developed nicely and are primed to break out. No lost value there.

He took Hamilton on a bargain and his value increased as a flame. He then capitalized on his value. He made a great pick in Fox and turned him into something substantial.

Ferland is a nice player but difficult to place in the lineup. He is either great or no where. Ideally, he's a third liner, but he doesn't consistently show jam. He's a guy that's going to be given a regrettable contract next year.

Flames got younger and better today, and it was through a culmination of good asset management. This is a bad trade if you are adding up goals on hockeydb pages though, I'll grant you that.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #1115
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If I ever acted like a petulant pre-teen to anyone like that, let alone the GM of an NHL team, I’d be way too embarrassed to tell anyone, let alone brag about it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
420since1974, AC, anyonebutedmonton, bdubbs, ben voyonsdonc, BloodFetish, Bonecrushing Hits, Brouhaha, btimbit, Caboose, Calgary4LIfe, cam_wmh, ClubFlames, CrispyGriz, D as in David, DeanOMac, devo22, Dion, djsFlames, Don Benji, DropIt, Flames Draft Watcher, Flames Fan, Ph.D., FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, flame^thrower, Frequitude, gallione11, Geeoff, getbak, GoJetsGo, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, Huntingwhale, Hyde, iggyformayor, iggypop, indes, jaikorven, Jay Random, jayswin, Jetfire, jg13, JT45, Mazrim, Mike F, mile, MisterJoji, MolsonInBothHands, N-E-B, Party Elephant, Phaneufenstein, Red, Red Slinger, Rejean31, Roast Beef, rogermexico, Royle9, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, schteve_d, Spencemid, StAlbertFlame, Strange Brew, SuperMatt18, T-Dog, Textcritic, The Big Chill, TheScorpion, Tilley, TjRhythmic, topfiverecords, vennegoor of hesselink, wireframe, zuluking
Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #1116
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

So you get your jollies out of irritating people?

Low class move IMO.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #1117
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm just baffled that anyone with a shred of maturity would not only have the audacity to say something like that to anyone, let alone someone who works tirelessly for this franchise, even if he doesn't always make the right decisions. That just screams weak.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #1118
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

The lack of self-awareness here.

Wow.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #1119
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Well this guy trys to attack me a few times. He doesn't understand this is a public forum. Im entitled to my opinion as is he.

It's actually a private forum.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #1120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Since u asked.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: