Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #2361
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Coke is a practical choice for people who don't have a lot of free time and need to watch their diets. Quick high that's over in half an hour. No extra calories. Much more practical than alcohol for people like athletes and models.
Highly doubt many NHL players do much or any coke during the season, I can see a player going "lets party" during their week off and getting away with it but if your a regular user the cocaine metabolites can show up in your system up to 3 months in a hair test, even if the NHL uses a simple urine test it can show up to 14 days for a heavy user.

I believe the players get tested twice a season so I assume most wouldn't take the chance.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #2362
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Coke is a practical choice for people who don't have a lot of free time and need to watch their diets. Quick high that's over in half an hour. No extra calories. Much more practical than alcohol for people like athletes and models.
That's quite the blasé response about a drug that's dangerously addictive, and can cause serious damage to the cardiovascular system. That's probably something that athletes should be taking better care of.

Also, it's still illegal, so if you are in management you probably don't want your multi-million dollar investments possibly getting caught in illegal activities.

Pro athletes should probably be a little more committed to their physical fitness during their careers, since they are so short. Giordano doesn't even touch a drop of alcohol during the season anymore, just so he can maintain his current performance level. I would hope that these guys are learning from his example.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #2363
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Came to look for an update on the Hanifin contract negotiation....leaving insure if I should use cocaine to give me a quick pick-me-up...
Old 08-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #2364
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Highly doubt many NHL players do much or any coke during the season, I can see a player going "lets party" during their week off and getting away with it but if your a regular user the cocaine metabolites can show up in your system up to 3 months in a hair test, even if the NHL uses a simple urine test it can show up to 14 days for a heavy user.

I believe the players get tested twice a season so I assume most wouldn't take the chance.
It isn’t an offensive or banned in NHL like other sports

So you can test positive , and as long as it is not in a range the NHL deems dangerous there is no discipline and it is not reported

(Might be reported to teams couldn’t find that info )
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #2365
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with cocaine is it increasingly contains traces of fentanyl, which kills you dead. That couple in Calgary who ODd a couple years ago thought they were just doing a bit of coke on date night. Nope.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #2366
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It's funny how tribal sports fans can be.

Back when a story came out shortly after Hamilton was traded to the Flames about Hamilton being a problem in the room, it was widely mocked.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147838

For good reason IMO. Speculation on player's private lives is ugly at best.

In that thread there wasn't a single fan saying that Hamilton may indeed have social problems.

Now that he's leaving the Flames you have people coming out of the woodwork to hammer another nail into his coffin.
The Bruins have a history of giving up early on top players for really odd reasons as they traded Thornton, Seguin, and Hamilton largely for a bag of pucks because of perceived issues. You can forgive any hockey fan for being highly skeptical of anything coming out of the organization when it comes to dealing with their top players.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #2367
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And now we can add sexist comments to the mix!

Triggered!!! This was a micro aggression!!
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #2368
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Why does there have to be some smoking gun to this trade?

Why can't it simply be the trading of some good players for some other good players?

That's really all it is.
Even reading between the lines of Treliving’s comments post trade, Loubardias reporting that Hamilton skipped out on his exit meeting it sure seems like Hamilton was traded for slightly more than just hockey reasons.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #2369
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is going on in this thread?
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #2370
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
What is going on in this thread?
We are discussing the Dougie Hamilton trade, as indicated in the thread title.

But also rails.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #2371
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol we talking about players doing coke? Just imagine what some of the owners do. There was a certain owner up north who created a fake magazine to find women he can pay to have sex with. The crazy thing is no one cared.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #2372
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's get the thread back on track. We are getting into dangerous ground when it comes to rumors about players and owners.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #2373
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Even reading between the lines of Treliving’s comments post trade, Loubardias reporting that Hamilton skipped out on his exit meeting it sure seems like Hamilton was traded for slightly more than just hockey reasons.
Exactly. If we are talking strictly hockey reasons Hamilton would be one of the least likely players moved. It was pretty clear to me something was off with him and I was definitely of the belief he should be the core piece moved out. Much of that also had to do with the lack of trade value I think Brodie has.

When you break the trade down it makes a ton of sense to me.
1. There were some issues the team had with Hamilton off the ice. Be it his brother, attitude, etc
2. Ferland’s contract situation and lack of consistency made him expendable.
3. Fox told the Flames he was not going to sign.

In return the Flames get
1. 0.5 ppg 23 year old C/RW who was the 5th overall pick in 2013. Swedes have been known to take longer to hit their offensive ceiling and the Flames desperately need a right shot in the top 6. Flames lock him up for 6 years T $4.85M per
2. 21 year old Dman who was the 5th pick in 2015 (the same draft the Flames traded their first rounder for Hamilton). Hanifin has 10 goals, 32pts, and great analytics, he will not turn 22 until roughly halfway into next season. We still wait on his contract terms.

To me this is a great hockey trade where the Flames get a little younger, add a position of need, and not gut another position to do it. I was a person that liked the trade initially but love it now.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #2374
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Exactly. If we are talking strictly hockey reasons Hamilton would be one of the least likely players moved. It was pretty clear to me something was off with him and I was definitely of the belief he should be the core piece moved out. Much of that also had to do with the lack of trade value I think Brodie has.

When you break the trade down it makes a ton of sense to me.
1. There were some issues the team had with Hamilton off the ice. Be it his brother, attitude, etc
2. Ferland’s contract situation and lack of consistency made him expendable.
3. Fox told the Flames he was not going to sign.

In return the Flames get
1. 0.5 ppg 23 year old C/RW who was the 5th overall pick in 2013. Swedes have been known to take longer to hit their offensive ceiling and the Flames desperately need a right shot in the top 6. Flames lock him up for 6 years T $4.85M per
2. 21 year old Dman who was the 5th pick in 2015 (the same draft the Flames traded their first rounder for Hamilton). Hanifin has 10 goals, 32pts, and great analytics, he will not turn 22 until roughly halfway into next season. We still wait on his contract terms.

To me this is a great hockey trade where the Flames get a little younger, add a position of need, and not gut another position to do it. I was a person that liked the trade initially but love it now.
First of all, I also believe there was a little more than just on-ice stuff here, there has been a fair bit of smoke and speculation from many sources.

However, I don't agree with the bold. I believe that this trade makes total sense - and I like it - strictly from a hockey perspective. Hamilton was a stats darling, and he has a great shot, but the way he played defense, and the way he carried himself on the ice, was more than enough reason for me to be in favour of this trade.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #2375
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Non hockey reasons may have contributed or been the tipping point, but it was a good trade for on ice hockey reasons alone.

Some fans here are just too caught up with how "great" Hamilton was. They have over valued Hamilton and are trying to make up reasons as to why he was traded and are now turning on other Flames players to justify it.

If you take away the fact that Hamilton is 6'5", I doubt people would be so high on him. The physical package creates a perceived value that is higher than what it is, especially since he doesn't actually use his size to his advantage. He's a younger, better skating and bigger Denis Wideman; who happens to provide the same offense, same defense, same contribution. Wideman actually has more spunk and competitiveness to his game.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #2376
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personality or character issues don't necessarily have anything to do with relations with teammates, going to museums instead of bars, or any of that stuff. If a player doesn't show much interest in improving the defensive side of his game, sulks if he doesn't play on the top pairing, and regularly shows low intensity on the ice, that's a character issue. But it doesn't mean he's a bad or unlikable person off the ice.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #2377
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
it was a good trade for on ice hockey reasons alone.
Or so we hope.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #2378
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do you think players look forward to these overseas pre-season trips? I'd guess most see it as an irksome obligation to the league that disrupts their normal training routines and takes them away from their families. They aren't sight-seeing tours - teams typically fly over the day before their first game, and fly home immediately after the second.
I wondered the same thing as well.

I've travelled deep into the pits of trash and have returned to tell the story of my journey. It was gross and smelly, but the scum of the NHL at least produced a little insight:

Sept 17 - Flight to China
Sept 18 - First practice (smokey, cool practice) and press conference
Sept 19 - Around town (gross to see a millionaire Canuck haggle pricing with the locals) for shopping, food and goofing around
Sept 20 - Mall event with fans
Sept 21 - Gameday
Sept 22 - Great Wall of China
Sept 23 - Gameday

And then it autoplayed the King's, which I'm sure is more of the same if anyone wants to see that. Looks like they left on the 19th, so spent less time there than Vancouver - but the little bits I skipped around looked like the Kings were making a point of this being a trip for the team as well.

So it does look like a bunch of fun. I can see players getting pretty jacked up to start their season on a unique note like this, and a great opportunity for the new guys to get to know their team.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #2379
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Bruins have a history of giving up early on top players for really odd reasons as they traded Thornton, Seguin, and Hamilton largely for a bag of pucks because of perceived issues. You can forgive any hockey fan for being highly skeptical of anything coming out of the organization when it comes to dealing with their top players.
And add to that a media group that defends the spoked B to the level of hammering players when they're traded for reasons that are hard to prove.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #2380
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Let's get the thread back on track.
https://youtu.be/nlwXRkAhs6c?t=62

stang is online now   Reply With Quote