Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #3861
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
Flames in the running for worst stadium scam in the Deadspin year end awards. Ownership must be so proud

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-awards...cam-1820448100
The Atlanta situation was a big of a scam because the Georgia Dome wasn't very old for a football stadium and by all accounts was perfectly fine as it had modern seating, plenty of box seats, no roof issues and the only real complaint was that it was too dark inside. The Raiders one I don't get as things have never been more exiting for Vegas with the new NHL and soon to be NFL team. There was no way that city would ever get a team without a stadium so I don't see the issue as no stadium = no team.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #3862
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Atlanta situation was a big of a scam because the Georgia Dome wasn't very old for a football stadium and by all accounts was perfectly fine as it had modern seating, plenty of box seats, no roof issues and the only real complaint was that it was too dark inside. The Raiders one I don't get as things have never been more exiting for Vegas with the new NHL and soon to be NFL team. There was no way that city would ever get a team without a stadium so I don't see the issue as no stadium = no team.
If you read the article on the Raiders deal, it's absolutely insane. Vegas isn't starved for entertainment or tourist dollars so the need for a team is, arguably, quite small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #3863
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where to post this but..

@MikeCormack Don't shoot the messenger: @JSportsnet says Arizona & Calgary came up during NHL's chat with Houston re: relocation possibilities:

Video with John Shannon and Jeff Marek on Sportsnet. Skip to 1:10
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...nhl-franchise/
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #3864
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they want to start really trotting out the relocation thing, I think I might have to move on from the Flames until their front office can stop being so awful.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #3865
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Rockets owner mentioned they had preliminary discussions with the league. Fertitta, Rockets owner, wants a team so the Flames aren't moving to Houston unless it's a sale. And has been discussed ad nauseum, don't see Calgary's team moving.

I am quite sure Houston gets a team quickly. The arena is ready to go, the owner has deep pockets and controls the arena. You can have different thoughts on the market but if he is ready to plunk down the money, it will happen.

I predict Houston has a team by start of 2019/20 season.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #3866
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Not sure where to post this but..

@MikeCormack Don't shoot the messenger: @JSportsnet says Arizona & Calgary came up during NHL's chat with Houston re: relocation possibilities:

Video with John Shannon and Jeff Marek on Sportsnet. Skip to 1:10
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...nhl-franchise/
Haha Houston Flames.. go for it lol The city isn't about to get bullied by some billionaires.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #3867
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only reason Calgary came up is because a couple of idiots in the Flames front office and one in the NHL office, already mentioned Quebec and Calgary needing to relocate, so Houston must be thinking "if they're stupid enough to move from Calgary to Quebec..."
In the end, it's an empty threat.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #3868
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
If you read the article on the Raiders deal, it's absolutely insane. Vegas isn't starved for entertainment or tourist dollars so the need for a team is, arguably, quite small.
Well yeah. We aren't talking about small time leagues like the NHL. It's the NFL and it's going to cost a lot go bring in a team. I don't understand what tourist dollars have to do with the city having a team. I'm pretty sure if you live in Vegas the strip gets old after a while just like most Calgarians aren't all going out the the mountains every weekend.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #3869
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...tion/?shawct=1
Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #3870
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Semi-related: Report on what to do with the Saddledome when/if it's no longer the premier arena in the city... http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...port-1.4406716

Quote:
Commissioned by the Calgary Saddledome Foundation — which was formed in the 1980s to operate the facility — the report lists four main possibilities for what happens after the Flames leave:

-Continue operating the 'Dome without a major tenant.
-Repurpose it into a recreation centre, convention centre, multi-use facility or Olympic venue.
-Decommission it.
-Demolish it.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #3871
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well yeah. We aren't talking about small time leagues like the NHL. It's the NFL and it's going to cost a lot go bring in a team. I don't understand what tourist dollars have to do with the city having a team. I'm pretty sure if you live in Vegas the strip gets old after a while just like most Calgarians aren't all going out the the mountains every weekend.
Doesn't explain the absolute capitulation by the city to the Raiders. Where was Oakland going to move? Vegas held all the cards.

That city is trash.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #3872
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Haha Houston Flames.. go for it lol The city isn't about to get bullied by some billionaires.
If the owners are offered half a billion US for the team and they agree to it what's the city going to do about it? It's a business transaction.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #3873
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
If the owners are offered half a billion US for the team and they agree to it what's the city going to do about it? It's a business transaction.
BoG has to approve the sale which they won't. There are at least five other ownership groups ahead of the Flames in the queue to move.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #3874
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If at the end of the day, the NHL feels like it can't operate in Calgary (or any city really) without getting a massive half billion dollar subsidy, then fine, I guess we won't have an NHL team. I have a suspicion that life will still go on.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #3875
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
BoG has to approve the sale which they won't. There are at least five other ownership groups ahead of the Flames in the queue to move.
Why on earth would they say no to a potential 500-million purchase bid that A) further establishes a precedent that increases the value of their own investments, and B) increases the league's US footprint in a market the league has long been dying to enter? Again I have to emphasize that if the Flames' owners are the ones who blink first the status of these hypothetical five other teams is completely irrelevant. Everybody and their mother were swearing up and down for years that Phoenix was the team that was destined to be moving to Winnipeg, until literally overnight it wasn't. All Murray and co have to do is say 'yes' before any of these other candidates.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #3876
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Why on earth would they say no to a potential 500-million purchase bid that A) further establishes a precedent that increases the value of their own investments, and B) increases the league's US footprint in a market the league has long been dying to enter? Again I have to emphasize that if the Flames' owners are the ones who blink first the status of these hypothetical five other teams is completely irrelevant. Everybody and their mother were swearing up and down for years that Phoenix was the team that was destined to be moving to Winnipeg, until literally overnight it wasn't. All Murray and co have to do is say 'yes' before any of these other candidates.
There's a difference between approval to sell and approval to move a team.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #3877
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't see these guys wanting to become Villains after all the good they have done for the city.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/owners
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #3878
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

greed is a powerful drug
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #3879
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I just can't see these guys wanting to become Villains after all the good they have done for the city.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/owners
The biggest player in the group doesn't even live on this continent anymore. The rest are probably contemplating following suit if the city continues trending the way it is. God knows plenty of our economic muscle has already gotten the hint and moved on. You really think their local image is at the forefront of their minds? Especially after the rhetoric they've already thrown around the last few months?

This whole saga is about so much more than just the status of a hockey team, it's the greater implications of it all that's what really scares me.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #3880
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
If they want to start really trotting out the relocation thing, I think I might have to move on from the Flames until their front office can stop being so awful.
If it's not a threat, but simply stating facts that the team will end up in another city and country without a new arena, you say let them go?
Closed Thread