Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #201
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

WTF is happening in this thread?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #202
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK now I think I get where you're coming from there, and I agree that high fiving that can be seen as unhealthy. I mean, I could cheer for a friend getting some if I knew they'd been without for a while, but that's different.

Treating sex with very young women as some kind of special achievement strengthens an unhealthy sexist and objectifying view of women as trophies.

That said, I think the Jagr case was pretty unique, and having a laugh about it was fine.

I mean seriously, dumbest extortion plan ever.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #203
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Didn't throw the word victim out, nor did I imply that it was illegal, but If a mid 40's guy doesn't understand why its is not appropriate to get with 18 year old's they need a swift kick upside the head.
Meh, I really don't care about what others see as inappropriate between consenting adults.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #204
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I didn't see the thread you are referring to, but that is ####ing disgusting behavior. I'm in my 40's now and if any one of my friends the same age as me were to partake in that behaviour I would be done with them. I don't see how it should be any different for a 40 something pro athlete or a movie star.
I'd give them props. I don't understand what is wrong with sleeping with an 18 year old adult at any age.

Are you suggesting we can't love people younger than us?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #205
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
OK now I think I get where you're coming from there, and I agree that high fiving that can be seen as unhealthy. I mean, I could cheer for a friend getting some if I knew they'd been without for a while, but that's different.

Treating sex with very young women as some kind of special achievement strengthens an unhealthy sexist and objectifying view of women as trophies.

That said, I think the Jagr case was pretty unique, and having a laugh about it was fine.

I mean seriously, dumbest extortion plan ever.
Her extortion plan was a very big deal IMO. Not only did it involve exploiting the justice system, but it's the kind of activity that is likely to bring doubt on future allegations made by other women.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #206
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's never been confirmation it was her that tried to extort Jagr, as far as I'm aware.

The last story I read was that it was spreading on her private social media and someone took the pictures to Jagr and then to the media.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #207
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
It's funny, cause this same forum was high fiving all over the place when a superstar hockey player in his 40's tapped a 18 yr old model.

Comments such as she was more mature due to the environment she worked in, she's 18 so totally fine, etc.

I'll get flamed for bringing it up cause obviously no crime at that age, but it is funny how much difference a couple years make.
So Jagr having relations with an 18 year old model is assault now? WTF is going on here guys.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #208
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Considering the amount of development that occurs after 18, this isn’t much of a defence for a middle aged man sleeping with 18 year olds.
By that reasoning, should we tolerate 18 year olds (or 16 year olds) sleeping with one another? If the justification is that they haven't fully developed psychologically yet and are prone to make unwise choices, then they're likely to make unwise choices with people their own age too.

At what age do we treat people as adults? And why are disparities in ages (assuming we're talking adults) more morally reprehensible than disparities in wealth, intelligence, attractiveness, or any of the other ways two people can differ?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #209
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Are you suggesting we can't love people younger than us?
Or want to have sex with people older?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #210
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
By that reasoning, should we tolerate 18 year olds (or 16 year olds) sleeping with one another? If the justification is that they haven't fully developed psychologically yet and are prone to make unwise choices, then they're likely to make unwise choices with people their own age too.

At what age do we treat people as adults? And why are disparities in ages (assuming we're talking adults) more morally reprehensible than disparities in wealth, intelligence, attractiveness, or any of the other ways two people can differ?
In Canada the law is pretty clear. It's arbitrary, but you have to set the rules somewhere.

And yes, I'd say there is a huge difference between the average 14 year old and the average 16 year old. Go spend time with a classroom full of kids that age, and you'll see a huge difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #211
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today's story is about Brett Ratner:

Six women accuse filmmaker Brett Ratner of sexual harassment or misconduct

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...htmlstory.html

Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn are the two bigger names in the article.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #212
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
In Canada the law is pretty clear. It's arbitrary, but you have to set the rules somewhere.

And yes, I'd say there is a huge difference between the average 14 year old and the average 16 year old. Go spend time with a classroom full of kids that age, and you'll see a huge difference.
I'm not arguing against the law, and I know there's a difference between a 14 year old and a 16 year old (in fact I didn't mention 14 year olds at all - where did you get that from?). I was responding to a post by Pepsi where he suggested sex between an 18 year old and a 40 year old was inappropriate. Do you agree with him?

I know it's not customary on these forums, but on sensitive topics like this we should try to actually follow the threads and the context of posts.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-01-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #213
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Her extortion plan was a very big deal IMO. Not only did it involve exploiting the justice system, but it's the kind of activity that is likely to bring doubt on future allegations made by other women.
I could be wrong but she wanted money or would release the photo and he said to release it anyway?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #214
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't know about inappropriate but a 40 year old going after 18 year old's is pretty creepy. 18 year old's can legally drink, smoke, sign up for the army.. so consenting to sex with anyone of any age is their choice.. but the vast majority of them are still pretty dumb and it's kinda icky all things considered.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #215
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not arguing against the law, and I know there's a difference between a 14 year old and a 16 year old (in fact I didn't mention 14 year olds at all - where did you get that from?).
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the title of this thread? You do know you're in a thread about Kevin Spacey trying to rape a 14 year old, right?
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #216
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not arguing against the law, and I know there's a difference between a 14 year old and a 16 year old (in fact I didn't mention 14 year olds at all - where did you get that from?). I was responding to a post by Pepsi where he suggested sex between an 18 year old and a 40 year old was inappropriate. Do you agree with him?

I know it's not customary on these forums, but on sensitive topics like this we should try to actually follow the threads and the context of posts.
I was responding to your post about using arbitrary age guidelines. And while I agree that the guidelines are arbitrary, they are still required. Basically, you have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #217
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was also mutual and she was not raped or sexually assaulted. Big difference. Doesn't change the fact that the age difference is gross.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #218
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Don't know about inappropriate but a 40 year old going after 18 year old's is pretty creepy. 18 year old's can legally drink, smoke, sign up for the army.. so consenting to sex with anyone of any age is their choice.. but the vast majority of them are still pretty dumb and it's kinda icky all things considered.
There are lots of things that are very creepy that occur when a man is trying to get sex (and sometimes vice versa), but not all of them are criminal.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #219
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was responding to your post about using arbitrary age guidelines. And while I agree that the guidelines are arbitrary, they are still required. Basically, you have to draw the line somewhere.
And we've drawn the line at 18, so we're agreed.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #220
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Today's story is about Brett Ratner:

Six women accuse filmmaker Brett Ratner of sexual harassment or misconduct

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...htmlstory.html

Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn are the two bigger names in the article.
This thread has veered wildly off course, so just quoting this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. These allegations are far worse than the Spacey one (so far) His lawyer can deny them all he wants, but you don't have this many woman coming forward with stories about you if you've been a boy scout.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post: