Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #41
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What headset though? Since I retired my Medusa 5.1 headset I've never found a true surround headset that's an adequate replacement. I use Sennheiser headset which is perfect for comfort and sound quality, but the virtual surround sound stuff never seems to work well for me. The analog ones with multiple speakers seem to work better.

But all the ones I've seen are either cheap build quality, have poor sound quality, bad comfort, or all three. Plus I prefer an open rather than a closed design.
True Surround is pretty rare. The only real options seem to be the Tiamat 7.1 (garbage build, mic, and bass) or the Asus Strix 7.1 (not too comfortable).

I'll probably get the Strix tbh. I'm really high on the concept of using HDMI to drive audio over USB. It also means it's using NVIDIAs excellent Audio Decoder as an output, rather than a purecode routed through a USB brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 04-18-2017 at 12:31 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #42
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'll probably get the Strix tbh.
I just checked that out and it's a pretty impressive looking set. Is there a local shop (memory express) that demos these?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #43
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

YES!!! So stressful!

Last edited by Coys1882; 04-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #44
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I just checked that out and it's a pretty impressive looking set. Is there a local shop (memory express) that demos these?
Not sure about demos, but they did have one on their clearance rack today at the NE store.Not sure if it was an older model or something though, I didn't look too closely
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #45
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

"All I do is (almost) win, (almost) win, (almost) win"

I'm ranked 3,500 solo in NA now, with 2 second-place finishes again last night, and approaching a 25% top 10 game rate, however I still have yet to win a game :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not sure about demos, but they did have one on their clearance rack today at the NE store.Not sure if it was an older model or something though, I didn't look too closely
That's the cheaper model, it's not 5.1 or HDMI driven.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #46
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my first top 10 finish last night, Woot! 5th last guy standing, almost there.

Such a small circle. I was behind a ridge watching a guy in a house. He new I was there, I knew he was there. Tense standoff but unfortunately someone took advantage of that standoff and managed to get behind me. I had now where to go. If I left the ridge, guy in the house would have had a clear shot.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Got my first top 10 finish last night, Woot! 5th last guy standing, almost there.

Such a small circle. I was behind a ridge watching a guy in a house. He new I was there, I knew he was there. Tense standoff but unfortunately someone took advantage of that standoff and managed to get behind me. I had now where to go. If I left the ridge, guy in the house would have had a clear shot.
Don't feel bad it's happened to me a few times - focus left and not notice a guy on right. BAM
Old 04-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #48
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can safely say, I have TERRIBLE aim in this game! OMG. Close encounters with shotguns are really my only hope, lol. Crouched in some bushes last night, watching this guy approach a bunch of houses. Holographic site on an M16. He gets to where I'm comfortable taking some shots and fire an ENTIRE magazine at this guy in single shot mode. Unreal. It was my only magazine for that rifle so I slipped off in the other direction out of shear embarrassment praying the whole time he wouldn't see me, blow me away, come loot my dead corpse and lol at my empty rifle.

Also had another first. One of the supply drops almost landed basically right in front of me. Total luck. Looted it and found a sweet rifle with an 8x scope. Man is that a great scope. Down to the last 30 odd people and make my way to the top of a well covered hill that allowed me great LOS in basically every direction right in the middle of the circle when suddenly artillery starts coming down. Bam...dead. One and only time I've been killed by those strikes. Didn't even get to take one shot with that rifle.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 04-27-2017 at 01:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #49
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

What settings is everyone playing at? I have to set everything pretty low to keep a decent framerate on a 1070GTX

If I bump it higher I can get ok framerates but movement feels like molasses
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #50
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I play with AA at Low, and everything at Medium other than Textures at Very High (because it's all VC dependent rather than code dependent) and View Distance at High. This is on a 1080.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I can safely say, I have TERRIBLE aim in this game! OMG. Close encounters with shotguns are really my only hope, lol. Crouched in some bushes last night, watching this guy approach a bunch of houses. Holographic site on an M16. He gets to where I'm comfortable taking some shots and fire an ENTIRE magazine at this guy in single shot mode. Unreal. It was my only magazine for that rifle so I slipped off in the other direction out of shear embarrassment praying the whole time he wouldn't see me, blow me away, come loot my dead corpse and lol at my empty rifle.
Don't feel too bad - especially mid to late game, most people probably have at least a level 2 vest/helm. It can take quite a few body shots to down a single target, so even if you hit him, you can't kill him easily. Shotguns really are amazing at close range.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #52
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
What settings is everyone playing at? I have to set everything pretty low to keep a decent framerate on a 1070GTX

If I bump it higher I can get ok framerates but movement feels like molasses
Same problem as you with the same video card. Running everything on low and still have issues at times. FPS is anywhere between 74 and 30. 30 seems to happen when I'm engaged with other players.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #53
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

PUBG is still really non-optimized as well mind you (beta).

It uses ~40-45% of my CPU and RAM during operation, and only ~70% of my videocard (most optimized games use 95%+ on a VC).

Give it time, the last update really helped with stutter and warping, the next one should help with FPS.

Quote:
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #54
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
PUBG is still really non-optimized as well mind you (beta).

It uses ~40-45% of my CPU and RAM during operation, and only ~70% of my videocard (most optimized games use 95%+ on a VC).

Give it time, the last update really helped with stutter and warping, the next one should help with FPS.
I didn't realize my MSI software updated and K Boost was no longer on, fixed that bumped it up a little lower than yours, also installed ReShade and I'm getting 70-90 FPS
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #55
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
also installed ReShade and I'm getting 70-90 FPS
what's reshade? give me the lowdown please?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #56
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
what's reshade? give me the lowdown please?
The developer tweeted that this was not against the tos so its ok

http://www.gameskinny.com/hkstb/how-...hade-with-pubg

What is ReShade?

ReShade is a post-processing injector, in short it basically aims to improve the overall look of the game itself by giving sharper and brighter visuals. Specifically it removes focus blur and will allow you to adjust different shades and colour pallets. Which in-turn with the extra clarity could potentially mean life or death in a gunfight.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #57
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahhh, is that why most replays I watch look better than what I'm seeing while playing?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #58
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Was playing last night and shot this guy at least 6 times with the mini uzi when I was one of the final 10 left. In addition to that, he was also hit by at least 2 shots from someone else. Still didn't die.

I assume he had at least a level 3 vest on, but yeah, don't bring a 9MM gun to end game and expect kills, even if you have 200 bullets for it.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #59
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I assume he had at least a level 3 vest on, but yeah, don't bring a 9MM gun to end game and expect kills, even if you have 200 bullets for it.
It's incredible, absolutely incredible, how many times I find myself closing in on the top 10 or so. Not a single kill to my name yet and I"m showing up to the final showdown with a pistol and a rifle that has only iron sites and only a motorcycle helmet for protection. Better than just a pistol I guess but not a hell of a lot.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #60
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's incredible, absolutely incredible, how many times I find myself closing in on the top 10 or so. Not a single kill to my name yet and I"m showing up to the final showdown with a pistol and a rifle that has only iron sites and only a motorcycle helmet for protection. Better than just a pistol I guess but not a hell of a lot.
you must be super sneaky