Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #101
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The way it's currently enforced is cash grabby.

I'm much more of a fan of the red light enforcement. They looked at statistics of high collision areas, posted very obvious camera structures, and reviewed the results showing decreased speed and collisions through these intersections.

On the speed side they should follow the same methodology. Identify locations with high speed related collisions, put in cameras and announce it, review accident statistics. There also should be a radius at speed changes where they cannot place cameras.
They already do that, the cameras are called "speed on green/red light". In those areas, they do work to slow down traffic:

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...t-cameras.aspx

Locations:

https://maps.calgary.ca/PublicSafety/
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #102
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Best part of this article.

Wow. He's been getting paid for the last 4 years to not work while being 'investigated'.

4 years.

He also had a firearm stolen from his vehicle back in 2006.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...954/story.html
Who says unions protect the incompetent and malfeasant?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #103
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
They already do that, the cameras are called "speed on green/red light". In those areas, they do work to slow down traffic:

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...t-cameras.aspx

Locations:

https://maps.calgary.ca/PublicSafety/
I know, that what I am saying, I like the implementation of the red light cameras. They follow a methodological approach and evaluate results.

The rest of the plain speed ones do not look at crash statistics to evaluate of the program is successful instead are put at honey pots.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #104
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was interesting watching the morning news this morning, which started with good words from the mayor and the chief about everything being done to move in the right direction and quickly spun into harsh words about members of the police commission (DCU) daring to speak out of turn. The message being that everyone who isn't the chief needs to shut up about all this. It seems like the PR machine is spinning into high gear, wonder what is getting more effort - addressing the problem or managing the message?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #105
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's not a lot that I agree with DCU on, but I think this is one issue I'm on her side. Nenshi is out of line when he's basically saying she should have kept quiet, and just let it be handled internally. Like that's done much over the years right? I think public pressure is what's needed in this situation to change this dudebro culture in the police force, and start weeding out all the delta bravo bully types.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #106
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess I'm on the Police side of most debates but I definitely think changing the color of the cruisers was a mistake. The white and soft blue projects a way better image than the yellow and black GI Joe cruisers they have now, and the only reason I can think of for why they changed it was the department thought it looked badass.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #107
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cruisers and trucks definitely look more aggressive IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #108
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood how colors are "menacing".

A cop car is a cop car in my mind.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #109
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I guess I'm on the Police side of most debates but I definitely think changing the color of the cruisers was a mistake. The white and soft blue projects a way better image than the yellow and black GI Joe cruisers they have now, and the only reason I can think of for why they changed it was the department thought it looked badass.
Once they picked up the ARV, they had to up the badass quotient
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #110
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I never understood how colors are "menacing".

A cop car is a cop car in my mind.
People associate the colour black with darkness and subconsciously associate that with power, force and mean. White is associated with clean, friendly and professional. Us humans are weird.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #111
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The cruisers and trucks definitely look more aggressive IMO.
It's not the colour it's the squared off vehicle design and more robust bumper. Go watch the blues brothers and see if those cop cars look aggressive
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #112
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not the colour it's the squared off vehicle design and more robust bumper. Go watch the blues brothers and see if those cop cars look aggressive
You may be right. Honestly I liked them at first because of how badass they looked but now I dislike them for the same reason. If I were to dress up as GI Joe every day going to work, eventually I may start to act the part.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #113
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody fears the Ford Crown Victoria!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #114
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They did it because it's cheaper. They buy black cars, wrap the door white, and put their decals on. Much cheaper than doing striping.

It's not just Calgary either, police all over Canada starting doing it a few years ago

Spoiler!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #115
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
They did it because it's cheaper. They buy black cars, wrap the door white, and put their decals on. Much cheaper than doing striping.

It's not just Calgary either, police all over Canada starting doing it a few years ago

Spoiler!
Oh Ok well that would explain the sudden switch. Still doesn't seem like a bad investment to paint some softer colors on there, I really feel like it makes a difference in Police perception.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #116
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh Ok well that would explain the sudden switch. Still doesn't seem like a bad investment to paint some softer colors on there, I really feel like it makes a difference in Police perception.
For sure. At the time it was supposed to be them going retro, and to make more police services look similar for recognition purposes. But now in hindsight it just gives off a more "Americanized" look, which these days certainly isn't a good thing.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #117
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
They did it because it's cheaper. They buy black cars, wrap the door white, and put their decals on.
Are black cars cheaper? Is there any reason they couldn't have done the same with white or blue cars?

I don't much care what colour police cars are, I'm just sort of curious about why the decision to use black.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #118
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because the last 20 years has seen a slow but progressive militarization of police forces across NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Are black cars cheaper? Is there any reason they couldn't have done the same with white or blue cars?

I don't much care what colour police cars are, I'm just sort of curious about why the decision to use black.
I believe that move came from the manufacturers, getting a different colour would both take longer and cost more. Plus going black and white allowed them to go 'retro' and they say services doing it across the country adds to recognition.

Last edited by btimbit; 11-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #120
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

White is definitely much harder to paint than black, but I doubt that's the reason.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote