Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #1881
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
What's the chance I'll see something like this for July? Zero? Seems like there's more really low fares around in the last few months than normal.
I wouldn't say zero, but definitely lower odds than June. July/August are by far the highest demand periods for Europe. Last year I don't believe there was much of anything in summer until a late price drop on some flights in August.

But if there is to be a significant drop on flights with Air Transat, it most often occurs about 2-4 weeks before departure.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #1882
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey cmyden,

I am considering going to Nepal in the fall. I haven't done much research on flights as of yet, what would you say is a reasonable price and do you have any creative ways of getting there that would save me a few dollars. For example booking separate flights on different airlines.

TIA
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #1883
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as you depart/return on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you can fly on Delta Airlines from Edmonton to Philadelphia round trip return for $355 (all taxes included). This includes travel all the way up to December.

Expires Monday at midnight.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #1884
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's another cheap last minute flight to Chicago this weekend ($336 roundtrip after tax). Try May 28-30 or 31 on United.com right now.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #1885
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhun View Post
Hey cmyden,

I am considering going to Nepal in the fall. I haven't done much research on flights as of yet, what would you say is a reasonable price and do you have any creative ways of getting there that would save me a few dollars. For example booking separate flights on different airlines.

TIA
Hi Hungryhun,

The YYC Deals Map shows the cheapest flights into Kathmandu for the upcoming year as being around $1500 roundtrip after tax. That would be a good price to aim for.

If you click on Delhi, India - the green marker just to the left, you can see that it's theoretically possible to get to India for as cheap as about $1124. Flights between Delhi and Kathmandu look to run about $245 roundtrip on JetAirways.

So you could maybe get it down to around $1400ish if you're lucky.

But more likely, you're probably looking at around $1500 as a bottom price.

What's the cheapest you've been able to find so far? Nepal would be amazing.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #1886
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Summer flights to Germany - $648 to $748 roundtrip after tax

Air Transat just dropped some of their June flights to Germany.

Try June 18 to 26 on www.airtransat.ca from Calgary to Frankfurt.

screenshot:

You can also come back on July 3rd for the same price.

Another interesting one is Calgary to Munich, Germany which is down to $748 roundtrip after tax. Try June 22-30 on Air Transat's site.

Munich is one of my favorite cities in Europe, with the historic buildings, impressive architecture and copious amounts of amazing beer.

The other thing you could do is fly into Frankfurt on June 18 and out of Munich on June 30. It works out to $698 after tax. Just try a 'Multi-destination' flight search on Air Transat's site.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #1887
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
There's another cheap last minute flight to Chicago this weekend ($336 roundtrip after tax). Try May 28-30 or 31 on United.com right now.
What would the average ballpark cost be from Calgary to Chicago, about a month in advance?

Thanks for this thread! Love it!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #1888
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
What would the average ballpark cost be from Calgary to Chicago, about a month in advance?

Thanks for this thread! Love it!
Chicago seems to usually hover around $650-$700 roundtrip after tax for the cheapest flights.

The average would be higher, take a look at a 3 day flexible date search for flights to Chicago around June 30...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-CH...-29/2011-07-06

Of course you're also getting into summer, which brings the fares up a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #1889
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

June flights to Scotland have dropped to $618 roundtrip after tax

Some June flights to Glasgow, Scotland have dropped to $618 roundtrip after tax.

Try June 8 or 15 to June 22 on Air Transat's site (www.airtransat.ca)

screenshot:

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #1890
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

anyone know of cheap flights from calgary to toronto?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #1891
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Hi Hungryhun,

The YYC Deals Map shows the cheapest flights into Kathmandu for the upcoming year as being around $1500 roundtrip after tax. That would be a good price to aim for.

If you click on Delhi, India - the green marker just to the left, you can see that it's theoretically possible to get to India for as cheap as about $1124. Flights between Delhi and Kathmandu look to run about $245 roundtrip on JetAirways.

So you could maybe get it down to around $1400ish if you're lucky.

But more likely, you're probably looking at around $1500 as a bottom price.

What's the cheapest you've been able to find so far? Nepal would be amazing.
Thanks cmyden! I will consider this deal. Previously the cheapest I had found was around $1800. I thought that was a half decent price considering the distance and stopovers!
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #1892
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How a family of 4 can get to Cancun for $185 roundtrip after tax (per person)

So AirCanadaVacations.com just dropped the price of their June 18 to 25 flight from Calgary to Cancun, Mexico down to $306 roundtrip after tax. Pretty great price right?

Well here's where it gets really interesting. With this deal, children only pay the tax. This is highly unusual, as on most flights children usually pay full fare, same as an adult.

But try 2 adults, and 2 children over at AirCanadaVacations.com from June 18 to 25 from Calgary to Cancun, Mexico and this is what you'll see:

$740 roundtrip after all taxes/fees for all 4 flights! That's $185 per ticket.

A family of 5 can get it down even further, to $160ish. Octomom could get an even better deal.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #1893
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Air Canada has a strike looming this month do they not...... Pilots were un able to re negotiate, and customer service are striking?.... am I wrong?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #1894
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
Air Canada has a strike looming this month do they not...... Pilots were un able to re negotiate, and customer service are striking?.... am I wrong?
Yep!

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli.../06/air-canada

Quote:
THE union that represents 3,800 customer-service and sales staff employed by Air Canada has set a June 13th deadline for the ratification of a new contract, otherwise its members will go on strike. The workers have been without a contract since March 1st. The sticking point is Air Canada's wish to reduce pension benefits for existing employees and change the pension plan for new workers from defined-benefit to defined-contribution, something the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) Local 2002 union vehemently opposes.
Quote:
In the event of a strike, Air Canada has said it would maintain full operations and implement a contingency service to minimise any impact on passengers. But that might be difficult if other union members refuse to cross picket lines or if the airline's pilots also walk off the job.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #1895
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Good luck Air Canada...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #1896
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm thinking about this cancun flight but I'm not too sure where to look for just a hotel down there. I think somewhere in the Mayan Riviera would be better for me because I would be traveling with my wife and 2 small children. Can anyone recommend a good family resort? Something that is geared towards kids?

Also, what is a good site to look at when just booking a hotel for that area.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #1897
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post
I'm thinking about this cancun flight but I'm not too sure where to look for just a hotel down there. I think somewhere in the Mayan Riviera would be better for me because I would be traveling with my wife and 2 small children. Can anyone recommend a good family resort? Something that is geared towards kids?

There's lots of good family resorts - Gran Bahia Principe is good, as is the Iberostar, but the one I keep wanting to go to (haven't been there yet) is the Barcelo - has a waterpark for kids in addition to the usual wading pool.

If you join My Barcelo, they give you access to the "Happy Days" promos that can be as much as 50% off depending on your dates.

As for what site to book just the hotel - I'd compare sites like Orbitz (USD), Expedia.ca, Travelocity.ca and the like to the actual hotel's site. Often one will be cheaper. Check around as well, sometimes there's buy-four-get-one-free offers at travel sites for hotels, but check the prices.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1898
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post

Personally, I would start with a search on TripAdvisor...

http://tinyurl.com/6yrd8xn

That's the highest ranking hotels that are currently under $100/night.

You can get a quite nice hotel in the Mayan for $66/night

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html

Looks like the hotel has good food.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #1899
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New record for cheapest flight to Scotland: $568 roundtrip after tax

If you can leave last minute, Air Transat's June 8-15 flight from Calgary to Glasgow, Scotland has dropped to $568 roundtrip after tax.

Try it on www.airtransat.ca and here's what you'll see:

Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #1900
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good deal on Westjet's Blue Tag Thursday - Mazatlan for $285 roundtrip after tax

I'm always watching Westjet's Blue Tag Thursday deals. Usually the deals are kind of ho-hum but there is the occasional gem.

This week they've dropped their June/July flights to Mazatlan, Mexico down to $285 roundtrip after tax, definitely an awesome price, even if it is the off-season.

screenshot from Westjet.com

For those that are unfamiliar with Westjet's Blue Tag Thursday Deals - they come out every Thursday and are valid for 3 hours, between 1PM and 4PM.

Last edited by cmyden; 06-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.