Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #61
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great News:

I currently have a refurb Xbox 360 travelling from Toronto via Puralator.

It has a few months of warranty left, unlike the one that I sent in.

"It occasionally gets RROD" was good enough for a ~14 day round trip
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #62
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife thinks I am crazy, but when I got my new Elite at Christmas, I took my old Xbox and put it in the closet for the inevitable RROD. That way, I will not be without a gaming console while I send the elite back for repair.

And having the Wii as a backup gaming system is a good thing too.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #63
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Well my 7th is dieing. It keeps thinking NHL 10 and Mass Effect 2 are DVD's, and not games. Funny how EA games are the only problems.
7th. Man, I give you credit for sticking with a pos system lol. I'd lose it after 1.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #64
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on my 4th and I thought I had it bad, 7 though wow.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #65
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy27 View Post
7th. Man, I give you credit for sticking with a pos system lol. I'd lose it after 1.
It died, haha. I bought a new one!

I now have a black Elite. =D

The quality may be terrible, but I find the 360 way better than my PS3. To put into perspective, I have 5 PS3 games (all exclusives), and around 35+ xbox 360 games.

And I think I exaggerated with the 7. I can't remember, but I think my last one that died would have been only my 6th.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #66
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It died, haha. I bought a new one!

I now have a black Elite. =D

The quality may be terrible, but I find the 360 way better than my PS3. To put into perspective, I have 5 PS3 games (all exclusives), and around 35+ xbox 360 games.

And I think I exaggerated with the 7. I can't remember, but I think my last one that died would have been only my 6th.
Normally I'd go into rabid Fanboy mode. However considering I'm enjoying Mass Effect (The first one) on my roommate's 360 I really can't. I still don't think its better however. The PS3 for the Blu Ray alone is fap worthy. But to each their own.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #67
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Normally I'd go into rabid Fanboy mode. However considering I'm enjoying Mass Effect (The first one) on my roommate's 360 I really can't. I still don't think its better however. The PS3 for the Blu Ray alone is fap worthy. But to each their own.
Oh, I love the PS3 because of Blu-Ray, but that's it. It fails so hard when it comes to actual gaming though.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #68
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, I love the PS3 because of Blu-Ray, but that's it. It fails so hard when it comes to actual gaming though.
Why does it 'fail so hard'? Just because you like the 360 exclusives more? I don't think it fails hard.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #69
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've noticed PS3 poorer performance in same games compared to 360.

I am a Sony supporter normally, but I have friends and my friends play 360. I'd rather play and talk to people I know if I have the option.

I own both systems, think the 360 performs better, has more games, but I don't like the controllers as much as PS3, and the PS3 is a nice BluRay player for the family.

In the past, FF and Gran Turismo were exclusives and made the value so much more..

GT has taken too long to get released and FF13 is now 360 optional
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #70
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I've noticed PS3 poorer performance in same games compared to 360.

I am a Sony supporter normally, but I have friends and my friends play 360. I'd rather play and talk to people I know if I have the option.

I own both systems, think the 360 performs better, has more games, but I don't like the controllers as much as PS3, and the PS3 is a nice BluRay player for the family.

In the past, FF and Gran Turismo were exclusives and made the value so much more..

GT has taken too long to get released and FF13 is now 360 optional
Slower performance is due to lazy programmers porting code over and not understand how the PS3 works. The PS3 is faster on paper but most of these developers program on the Xbox platform as it's more familiar to PC programming. When they port it over, a lazy job will result in slow performance or reduced features.

Look at Ghostbusters for example, the PS3 version actually renders at 75% of the resolution of the Xbox 360 version (basically the picture generated is 1/4 smaller) and then it is blown up to fill your screen with blur filters to make it less apparent. Additionally, a lot of the special effects and shaders such as burning embers when you shoot walls were taken out.

Personally though, I hate both.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #71
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

If only there was a way to install the 360 OS on PS3 hardware.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #72
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What are you guys doing to your machines? I'm just coming up on my 4th year with the same machine. 1000's of hours on it and still runs like a dream.

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #73
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If only Microsoft didn't make their console out of bubble gum and tin foil.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #74
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled View Post
What are you guys doing to your machines? I'm just coming up on my 4th year with the same machine. 1000's of hours on it and still runs like a dream.
I'd say the problem is widespread enough that it's not what people are doing with it. I would say you're in the minority.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #75
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled View Post
Same here. My old grey 1st gen seems to be holding up great.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #76
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well the RROD have just claimed another victim. This is the third time I'm going to be forced to send them my 360, they seriously need to fix this problem...badly.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #77
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Well the RROD have just claimed another victim. This is the third time I'm going to be forced to send them my 360, they seriously need to fix this problem...badly.
Surprisingly for me the RRoD problem isn't my problem. My problem has always been the disc drive failing. My first one had the RRoD problem, then next 3 all had disc drive problems (would scratch the discs like crazy).
Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #78
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
PS3 just seems to blow out the XBox360 on everything:
Online Membership: XBox- $60, PS3- free.
Controllers: PS3- lighter, easier to hold(IMO), and don't need batteries for wireless(like you do for the XBox). Just plug it into the PS3 for a re-charge.
DVD player: XBox- regular, PS- Blue Ray
Durability: Xbox- Red Ring Of Death, need I say more? PS- Whats that?
I own a 360, PS3 and a Wii. I also own a Mac and PC. I am the ultra non fanboy. Each system has it's benefits.
The online membership for Live is worth it. The 360 online gaming experience is worth every penny of that. In fact, I barely touch the PS3 online portion of games, it is basically useless when compared to the 360.
I also prefer the 360 controller. I have no doubts that the majority agree with me. There are assorted hacks out there to convert a 360 controller to a PS3, but rarely the reverse. Having the offset thumb stick makes a huge difference. It was actually surprising that Sony did not alter their controller. I think Sony dropped the ball on controllers and their online portion. And good luck when that Sony battery loses it's effectiveness. I prefer the 360 setup. When I lose power I swap batteries.
The DVD is a no brainer, as I own the PS3 predominantly for the blue ray, just like most other owners. I play games on the system, but only games I don't plan on playing on line.
Durability is a major issue, Microsoft really got in trouble here. I don't think that really worked out for them, although their systems built since early 2009 (I think) had the problem removed.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #79
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Question, they changed the sending your xbox sending in process since the last time one of mine busted (which was they sent you a box via purolater? and you would send it in that box.) now im recieving emails about an eshipping label and error messages, could anyone help me out?
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #80
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've had 2 RROD units; 1 purchased on day 1, the next 6 months later...both operated for less than 4 months each.
My PS3 on the other hand has seen more extensive use, and was purchased at launch; no problems.

I've given up on Microsoft. Keep in mind that system exclusive games are becoming more rare, so there really isn't that much of a need to keep multiple systems anymore. I will admit that if I was an FPS monkey, i'd probably stick with the 360 regardless of problems.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote