Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:
Default 4th Xbox 360 Died: No More for Me! OMG 5th broke now!

So I'm on my 4th Xbox 360. I have bought 2, and one has been repaired/replaced 3 times with the RROD issue. The other one still works. (Its in my bedroom and is used maybe 1 time per month, and then only to stream video or audio)

Now the one sent back won't read any discs. I phoned to see if they will repair it. They want $119 for a repair, because it has been over a year.

Enough is enough, next generation I'm buying Sony. These 360s are pieces of crap.

I'll keep using my other 360 until it dies, and then I'll either buy a PS3 or wait for the next generation. Regardless, next generation will not be a microsoft product.

My apologies to everyone who may have taken my advice when I recommended a 360 over a PS3 (which I also had for a short time).

Edit: Now my bedroom Xbox360 also died.... won't read discs. I hate Microsoft so much.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Sorry to hear man, that's very frustrating. Welcome to the dark side.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Thanks,

I'm slow today. I just figured out that since I don't play games in my bedroom (at least not the xbox 360 ) I'll move that Xbox there and put the working one on the main TV.

Still, I'm buying a PS4 next generation. Microsoft has a superior install base this generation but I suspect they'll lose the next generation because of quality issues that have been prevalent for the 360.

The main reason I liked the 360 at first was for the streaming of video and audio, and initially its games were of higher quality. The PS3 has now caught up or surpassed the 360 in games, and now streams audio and video. Next gen I imagine both consoles will have support for streaming out of the box.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be lucky. On my first and no issues ever with it.

Mine has plenty of breathing room and I dont play for hours on end with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

if you cracked open both a PS3 and Xbox 360 and compared them, it's no real surprise. one looks like a professional entertainment unit, the other looks like a Fisher price My-First-Console
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our PS3 is just over a year old and is having significant problems reading BluRay media.

Sometimes we have to eject and put the disc in about 15 times before it recognizes the disc. Pretty frusterating. Will try a cleaner disc, but I'm not hopeful.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like you have exactly the same problem I had which is a dirty DVD drive lens. My warrenty was up so I bought a repair kit, opened it up and cleaned the lens and it's been fine every since. But yeah, I agree. It's unacceptable how cheap they're made. Out of the two I buy more games for my 360 but I've had no problems at all with my PS3.

Last edited by Inferno; 01-07-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4th? Amateur, call me when your on your 7th and have had 3 discs ruined.

I'm still sticking with Microsoft next generation as my main console, but will get a PS4 as well.

My current one works fine except for the occasional time it won't read my disc, and then dirty up a disc with a little scuff. I'd open it up and fix it, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the lens completely.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Our PS3 is just over a year old and is having significant problems reading BluRay media.

Sometimes we have to eject and put the disc in about 15 times before it recognizes the disc. Pretty frusterating. Will try a cleaner disc, but I'm not hopeful.
How dare you speak badly of the PS3! It is perfect and Sony has NEVER had any problems with anything cause they are the kings of the universe!

/had 2 RROD xboxs, but I blame it on me modding them/buying refurbs.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel very fortunate. Mine 3 years old now, no problems
I play all the time too, but I do make sure that it has plenty of air circulation
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had issues with my 360, my buddy has had issues with his PS3. When things like this are mass produced, shipped across the world, thrown around in trucks, etc. things will happen.

I can't even remember the last time I used my 360 for games but mainly just for streaming movies/shows to my TV (not long ago I was using a flash drive to transfer). I have thought about buying a PS3/4 whenever my 360 breaks but I hear the same amount of problems with PS3 as 360. Pick your poison and flip a coin!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
4th? Amateur, call me when your on your 7th and have had 3 discs ruined.

I'm still sticking with Microsoft next generation as my main console, but will get a PS4 as well.

My current one works fine except for the occasional time it won't read my disc, and then dirty up a disc with a little scuff. I'd open it up and fix it, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the lens completely.
Holy sh*t! What are you doing? Having sex with it?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Buy a new one of the same type from Wal-mart-put old one in box-return for refund.
It goes back to MS or Sony for repair either way-this just makes it easier for the consumer.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Holy sh*t! What are you doing? Having sex with it?
Oooooh is that why the disk drive doesn't work anymore?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

My ps3 blu ray drive went from perfect to dead over night just after the warranty expired. ps3 reliability is a little suspect too, I'd say.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I hear of these issues the more I think Apple should jump into the console wars.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The more I hear of these issues the more I think Apple should jump into the console wars.
except their console will cost twice as much and the games will take 2-3 years to get ported over after debuting on the Sony/Microsoft consoles
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
except their console will cost twice as much and the games will take 2-3 years to get ported over after debuting on the Sony/Microsoft consoles
but it would also come with a trendy beret and a Starbucks gift card.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The controller would have 1 button on it. hahahahahaha.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on my 3rd 360 in the past 3 years and I generally only play personally highly anticipated exclusives on it. With me not being a big shooter or online fan I find that my 360 has me so scarred to use it that I pretty much don't anymore. I hope something good is comming out on the system soon so I can blow the dust off it, but I haven't really been paying attention to what is in the pipeline.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote