Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #21
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Hilarious. Simple as that.

An article that gets absolutely zero attention or feedback on it's own host website, with the only meaningful discussion occuring on a COMPETING website.

Wilson should be instead writing for CalgaryPuck, He's not going to get a significant audience on that other place.

There's a reason for CalgaryPuck's enduring popularity with Flames fans-- and that's because it distances itself from Hockey's Future.
Look, we know your opinion on the article. You keep hammering that. But it IS discussion worthy because it's in relation to the Flames prospects. If it's from HF, and you don't agree with it, show your anti-HF support by NOT contributing to the thread.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Look, we know your opinion on the article. You keep hammering that. But it IS discussion worthy because it's in relation to the Flames prospects. If it's from HF, and you don't agree with it, show your anti-HF support by NOT contributing to the thread.
So if folks don't like something, they should keep their mouths shut?

Doesn't work like that.

Seriously dude... go discuss the article at its point of origin. Lord knows they could use the hits.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Doesn't work like that.
You're right. They should be obnoxious and annoying.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Doesn't work like that.

Seriously dude... go discuss the article at its point of origin. Lord knows they could use the hits.
Dude, why don't you just ignore the thread if you don't like it, and leave it to the people who want to discuss it?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Dude, why don't you just ignore the thread if you don't like it, and leave it to the people who want to discuss it?
You haven't discussed the article at all. You've merely been admonishing me.

Here's a suggestion: Expend the energy discussing the article on HFBoards. That -- logically -- is the appropriate forum for Hockey's Future articles.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You haven't discussed the article at all. You've merely been admonishing me.

Here's a suggestion: Expend the energy discussing the article on HFBoards. That -- logically -- is the appropriate forum for Hockey's Future articles.
so by your logic we should never talk about any articles that are written on any other website?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
so by your logic we should never talk about any articles that are written on any other website?
The original poster soliticited opinions of a particular website and its content, of which he received several not to his apparent liking. He proceeded to lobbing personal insults.

Linking to dubious websites like eklund's or that other one afford them them credibility they don't deserve.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The original poster soliticited opinions of a particular website and its content, of which he received several not to his apparent liking. He proceeded to lobbing personal insults.

Linking to dubious websites like eklund's or that other one afford them them credibility they don't deserve.
ok. so if he made a better attempt in the first place to not troll for negative comments eg "so what do you think about eklunds proposal" and perhaps just posted a link and some comments it would of been appropriate? i do get what you're saying but no one ever comes down hard on the people who post the tsn power rankings weekly.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
ok. so if he made a better attempt in the first place to not troll for negative comments eg "so what do you think about eklunds proposal" and perhaps just posted a link and some comments it would of been appropriate? i do get what you're saying but no one ever comes down hard on the people who post the tsn power rankings weekly.
I think you'd get banned pretty quickly if you posted links to Sportsnet articles in the TSN "It's Your Call" comment feature.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #30
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The article in question was written by a CP member with 4000+ posts to his credit and who blogs numerous places including with Jean Lefevbre at Flamesnation.ca

While I don't agree with everything Kent W aka Metro Gnome writes, I do think he has earned enough credibility to have his article discussed.

I know "that site" has been pretty brutal in the past, but to dismiss this article out of hand because of where it is published seems petulant.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The article in question was written by a CP member with 4000+ posts to his credit and who blogs numerous places including with Jean Lefevbre at Flamesnation.ca

While I don't agree with everything Kent W aka Metro Gnome writes, I do think he has earned enough credibility to have his article discussed.

I know "that site" has been pretty brutal in the past, but to dismiss this article out of hand because of where it is published seems petulant.
Actually, I don't give a lot of credibility to Kent Wilson TTQH. Especially when it comes to prospects. I actually used to read his blog, but when it took him almost an entire season to realize that the Flames' AHL affiliate was no longer based in Omaha, but in Quad Cities, I gave up.

His article is basically a regurgitation of the Hockeys Future party line. As someone who actually follows the prospects, I can tell he's basing his opinion on material previously expressed by others, and not independently.

He is, however, a Calgary Flames blogger who possesses more than a rudimentary grasp of basic English composition, so I guess that's a plus.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #32
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I don't give a lot of credibility to Kent Wilson TTQH. Especially when it comes to prospects. I actually used to read his blog, but when it took him almost an entire season to realize that the Flames' AHL affiliate was no longer based in Omaha, but in Quad Cities, I gave up.

His article is basically a regurgitation of the Hockeys Future party line. As someone who actually follows the prospects, I can tell he's basing his opinion on material previously expressed by others, and not independently.

He is, however, a Calgary Flames blogger who possesses more than a rudimentary grasp of basic English composition, so I guess that's a plus.
Well having seen how you have tracked the prospects for years I doubt many bloggers could match your knowledge, but I do think Kent deserves to be debated even if it is to point out the shortcomings.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Well having seen how you have tracked the prospects for years I doubt many bloggers could match your knowledge, but I do think Kent deserves to be debated even if it is to point out the shortcomings.
Actually, I want to backtrack a bit. Last thing I want to do is to pass myself off as some kind of an expert -- more likely an interested bystander.

Hockey's Future is really an ill-defined concept. If it were a scouting service wishing to be seen as credible they would have to have eyes and ears in place sleuthing every nook and cranny of global hockey. Little pockets here and there don't cut it.

Conversely, if they wish to position themselves as a journalistic enterprise, they also fall short. Very few actual NHL scouts, General Managers or Directors of Player Personnels are soliticited for their opinions (let alone counterpoints). Best case scenario is that Hockey's Future is a clipping service-slash-rewrite desk. Pretty much cookie-cutter. Add the fanboy aspect and it's an even bigger mess.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #34
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

To interject, the HF rankings were discussed (and dismissed) earlier this month in this very sub-forum.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I really don't mean to disparage Kent Wilson (whom I'm sure will eventually come across this thread), but in my opinion his contributions might be better served under the CalgaryPuck aegis. His work is certainly being ignored on that other forum.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #36
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To think that we shouldn't discuss HF articles is amusing. They are a rival website that people enjoy hating on, but if they bring something to the table that brings discussion and opinions here, that is as valid as anything else. To say that we should only discuss such things over there is ridiculous. The sun and herald both let you comment on stories, perhaps we shouldn't discuss them here or post them and instead limit ourselves to those comments sections?

Website fanboism is great, but no need to be fanatical about it. People are here because they want to be here, banning other sources of information on the table for discussion is counter productive.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #37
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that what HF tries to do, is very hard to do properly, so I'd never blame them for being inaccurate, if it were reasonable. But upon just looking at what I know, I think they could be doing a way better job. Other than WHL, and Flames training camps, I really have no access to what HF has access to, with their team of people around the hockey world. I'm sure that some of their staff are better at assessing talent than others, but some of the things in there are just puzzling. Keith Seabrook above Matt Pelech is a crime. Keith Aulie is ranked a little too high in my opinion too. That said, I think theyve done better than in the past. I still think that some D are ranked a little low compared to prospects on other teams, who simply aren't as good. I read the site occasionally, but I mostly use it just to find out who's in which team's system.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Can anybody else confirm? Did Bunklund really "fail to impress" at camp or was it just the realization that he required a year of seasoning in the AHL? That was kind of the expectation, wasn't it?
I seem to recall reading that Sutter said it was really close for Backlund, but they decided to put him in the AHL where he could play a bigger role.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations. They think that if a 1st rounder is 20 years old, he should be in the NHL already. There has been a bit of a trend in recent years for this, but I think it has more to do with some teams needing to get cheap players for cap reasons. Sutter isn't going to play that game and would rather develop players on the farm. He's old school like that.