Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Miscellaneous > Help/Suggestions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Ticket Exchange feedback discussion

There was some discussion about having a buyer/seller feedback system, so thought I'd move the discussion here.

I agree that such a system would be a nice to have, but it is something else that needs to be installed and maintained. Even a thread is difficult unless someone goes through the thread and keeps track of things, and even then it can result in a lot of bickering... and the moderators don't get paid enough to try and mediate disputes.

So what I suggest is using something that already exists:

http://www.heatware.com

The buyer and seller each sign up there and each transaction gets logged, with positive, neutral, or negative, details of transaction, etc etc.

Keeps all the details in one place, and is far more robust than anything we could ever do.

Frequent buyers and sellers can post their heatware in their posts, or potential buyers and sellers can request a link to the person's heatware so they can look at it.

Thoughts?
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Using heatware.com is a good idea. I actually signed up for a that a few years ago, but only used it once. AFAIK it's a really common system used by a lot of people on a lot of different forums.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like a good idea.
I signed up.

Everyones user name should be there CP name im assuming?

Last edited by Beerfest; 12-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
I signed up.

Everyones user name should be there CP name im assuming?
Mine is, but a lot of people would use their username from other forums. You can search via email address though.

Edit: If your username is not your cp username, you can add your cp username as an alias.

Last edited by sworkhard; 12-09-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats to stop someone from just starting a new username on CP and heatwave if they get a few bad remarks?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's an interesting idea but if it's optional then you won't be targetting the problem users. If someone is doing poor transactions with users then I doubt they'd be looking forward to signing up on another site to showcase that. I guess it would be buyer/seller beware for people who decide to do a transaction with someone without an account to the site, however, I think there needs to be some way for users to alarm other users of posters that have had multiple poor transactions. Even if it's a poorly constructed one at least it would be a deterent and encourage accountability.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I know any solution to this would not be easy to implement.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Whats to stop someone from just starting a new username on CP and heatwave if they get a few bad remarks?
They'd have to use a different email address, as one email address can't be used on more than one account. If they did that, there is nothing to stop them. However, it will definitely give sellers a level of comfort if a buyer has lots of positive feedback. If your selling via paypal simply require that the paypal email address and heatwave address are the same. You can also email the heatware address to ensure that the address is accurate.

Last edited by sworkhard; 12-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I think it's an interesting idea but if it's optional then you won't be targetting the problem users. If someone is doing poor transactions with users then I doubt they'd be looking forward to signing up on another site to showcase that. I guess it would be buyer/seller beware for people who decide to do a transaction with someone without an account to the site, however, I think there needs to be some way for users to alarm other users of posters that have had multiple poor transactions. Even if it's a poorly constructed one at least it would be a deterent and encourage accountability.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I know any solution to this would not be easy to implement.
I'd simply require that they have a heatwave account to run the transaction through, and if you are suspicious, ask them if they have any ebay, or similar feedback.

It'd be nice if the heat ware heat rating could be integrated into the site so people can easily look up their information.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it could be encouraged to post a closing note to your thread after you've sold something. Just the basics: fotze's mom didn't show up when she said she would, but Pinner cruised through the 4-way stop right on schedule with his $50.

Someone with any concerns could just do a bit of searching to get an idea of what the buyers and sellers are like.

I'm not a frequent buyer or seller, but my 2 purchases and 1 sale over the years have gone well. Even in my one sale, someone backed out after showing interest but was upfront about it and had some manners about the whole thing, so I moved onto the next person. Maybe we need to publicly close off our threads with our feedback.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Maybe we need to publicly close off our threads with our feedback.
This!

Awesome idea. You could simply search posts in the buy/sell forum with the name of the poster you are looking to complete a transaction with in them and you'd get the latest feedback from transactions regarding that user.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not leave feedback on their profile?

People can leave "visitor messages" as Rhettzky knows now...lol...and people can leave a quick message, good or bad, and before selling or buying from someone you can check out their profile.

I know users can block messages but I think that people can see that messages were deleted and most likely that is a bad sign.

I'd say just leave the link for the item and feedback in there and people can decide.

nm looks like if you delete it people can't see it anymore. Is there an option to turn this off so people can't delete items? Or is that just asking for trouble?

Last edited by HOOT; 12-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
photon

Exp:

That's a pretty good idea too, I forget about the profile.

For people deleting negative feedback, that would be a problem. Heatware doesn't have that problem, and a heatware doesn't "pollute" someone's profile with positive reviews.

The posting to the sale thread idea is a good one too.

Or just have a feedback thread like someone mentioned, and the only thing posted in it is "photon +1" or "photon -1", so a search of that thread would show a visible list of +'s and -'s, discussions about it can be had elsewhere.

Any system is going to be open to abuse, and is going to be avoided by people who don't care, but you can always choose not to interact with someone who doesn't have a good reputation.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I have sold a ton of tickets on CP and never had a problem except for the one guy, who unfortunately, bailed on half a season. I sell my tickets, and for about 5 other guys I work with that have seasons, but no rep, or not enough posts here to sell them. I honestly think the system is fine, we should simply have a thread called "Backout buyers" that the sellers can reference before they commit to selling.

It should be easy enough, if there is a dispute, there is the PM records on file.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
photon

Exp:

I just liked heatware because it's more detailed and specific, it pleases the organizer in me.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Maybe it could be encouraged to post a closing note to your thread after you've sold something. Just the basics: fotze's mom didn't show up when she said she would, but Pinner cruised through the 4-way stop right on schedule with his $50.
Part of that problem is perhaps somebody doesn't want all of the internet to know where they will be sitting during the game. Let's say I have tickets for sale, and you PM me and post "PM sent." 3 hours later Rico PMs me and also posts "PM sent."

Now because Rico has given me some great deals on other things in the past (and I owe him a favour); I choose to sell to him. You really wanted these tickets and would be mad to know that the person who PM'd after you got to buy them.

Personally I don't like a feedback system on the ticket exchange; I don't think there are enough "bad" posters to make it worthwhile. And those that are bad; are people going to risk a bad situation to let others know that they had an issue? I ask because we only had one request to do something about the recent person who no-showed; and then we found out others had also been burned.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042
Part of that problem is perhaps somebody doesn't want all of the internet to know where they will be sitting during the game. Let's say I have tickets for sale, and you PM me and post "PM sent." 3 hours later Rico PMs me and also posts "PM sent."
Who you ultimately sell to is up to you, but I think all that he was implying is to close out your selling thread with a post containing the name of the poster you completed the transaction with and a brief bit of feedback. Like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky
ken0042 +
Then if a seller looks at the poster that wants to purchase from them they could just search the buy/sell forum for posts containing that posters name and get a brief look at any previous transactions that poster has made. Would definitely give a bit of peace of mind when dealing with posters who have no real post history here.

Last edited by Rhettzky; 12-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote