Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Rental Car insurance when booked with points.

I have a pretty simple question.

I am looking to book a rental car in Ottawa, the prices even with some company discounts are more than I thought they would be.

I am thinking of using some of my Avion points to book the rental car.

I am kind of hesitant, because I always envisioned myself saving the Avion points for doing or getting something awesome, but I never do.

Anyway, with rental cars I always just use my credit card for the insurance stuff. But what I'm wondering is if I book with points, would I need to purchase the extra insurance?

I think you may have to use a credit card to book anyway regardless if you are paying or not so would that cover it?

I know I can always call, but questions like this to the CP masses always seem to turn up some useful tidbit or anecdote.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Can you check with your regular car insurance provider? I think I pay something like $25 per year to also have coverage on rental cars in Canada/USA.

Next question, did you looks at renting outside the airport? I was looking at a different city, but a car rental a train ride away was about 40% of the price.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have a pretty simple question.

I am looking to book a rental car in Ottawa, the prices even with some company discounts are more than I thought they would be.

I am thinking of using some of my Avion points to book the rental car.

I am kind of hesitant, because I always envisioned myself saving the Avion points for doing or getting something awesome, but I never do.

Anyway, with rental cars I always just use my credit card for the insurance stuff. But what I'm wondering is if I book with points, would I need to purchase the extra insurance?

I think you may have to use a credit card to book anyway regardless if you are paying or not so would that cover it?

I know I can always call, but questions like this to the CP masses always seem to turn up some useful tidbit or anecdote.
Rental car insurance is a massive rip off. Two things, your Avion Card should cover you, just call and confirm. And 90% of people have a clause built into their auto policy that gives them full coverage of anything they drive. I always print the page of my policy that lists it, and the clause and show it to the rental agent that is trying to force me to take it, saying I am not covered.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Can you check with your regular car insurance provider? I think I pay something like $25 per year to also have coverage on rental cars in Canada/USA.

Next question, did you looks at renting outside the airport? I was looking at a different city, but a car rental a train ride away was about 40% of the price.

Yep, renting off airport is usually the first place I look. I'm more than happy to take a bus ride to save a bunch.

But in this case the base cost is actually the same everywhere I looked, including the airport. But at the airport they add a 18$ premium location tax on the rental. In the grand scheme, its not a huge deal.

I just skimmed my insurance policy and didn't see anything on rental car stuff. I may have to dig into the fine print.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It may be worded as coverage for 'non-owned automobiles'. Definitely worth checking into adding it if you don't have it, and decide if it is worth is based on how often you rent cars.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Rental car insurance is a massive rip off. Two things, your Avion Card should cover you, just call and confirm. And 90% of people have a clause built into their auto policy that gives them full coverage of anything they drive. I always print the page of my policy that lists it, and the clause and show it to the rental agent that is trying to force me to take it, saying I am not covered.
That depends on which country you are in.

In Mexico, you have to get the mandatory liability insurance.

We were covered by our regular car insurance provider in New Zealand, but only because we spoke English. Don't know why that was a policy in that country, but it was, and that was just 2 years ago.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
It may be worded as coverage for 'non-owned automobiles'. Definitely worth checking into adding it if you don't have it, and decide if it is worth is based on how often you rent cars.
It's referred to as SEF27 in insurance lingo. It:
"Extends the physical damage coverage and deductible that you have on your personal vehicle to a rental vehicle. This endorsement provides physical damage coverage only."
http://www.ama.ab.ca/insurance/auto-...verage-options
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote