Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Going on honeymoon in Thailand, trip ideas?

Hey CP'ers, me and my future bride are heading to Thailand for two weeks in November. We've never been before so I'm looking for some trip suggestions. We don't plan on spending any time in Bangkok, wanna chill on beaches mostly.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Two weeks isn't much time, so you should probably give an indication of what type of stuff you like to do. Koh Samui is pretty touristy and has lots of resorts/night life in parts. Ditto Phuket which is like Bangkok lite at times (I hated parts of Phuket, but think Bangkok is kinda neat).

Without knowing any information, I would recommend heading to the Krabi province and to do a little bit of island hopping. For the beach type stuff, the Andaman coast was my favourite.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Two weeks isn't much time, so you should probably give an indication of what type of stuff you like to do. Koh Samui is pretty touristy and has lots of resorts/night life in parts. Ditto Phuket which is like Bangkok lite at times (I hated parts of Phuket, but think Bangkok is kinda neat).

Without knowing any information, I would recommend heading to the Krabi province and to do a little bit of island hopping. For the beach type stuff, the Andaman coast was my favourite.
Pretty much just looking for the best beaches. I'm a diver so I wanna get a few dives in, do some fishing, snorkelling, that sort of thing.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Pretty much just looking for the best beaches. I'm a diver so I wanna get a few dives in, do some fishing, snorkelling, that sort of thing.
I'm not much of a diver, but there were way more diving/snorkeling opportunities off the Andaman islands as far as I could tell. Koh Phi Phi has a dive shop every 2 feet as an example.

Edit: I recommend using Phuket or Krabi as a means to get in and out (whatever is most convenient), then to pick a couple islands in that area. Honestly, you can't really go wrong. Many stunning beaches.

Last edited by Kybosh; 05-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ladyboy three some?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bangkok is an awesome city to spend a night or two at either end of your trip so you can eat some great food and visit some temples, but I think you're making the right call to mostly avoid it for a honeymoon. It's really not as seedy as its reputation, though, unless you go looking for the seedy parts.

If I were you, I'd look into going to Koh Chang. It's a really nice, peaceful island that's only ~5 hours by bus/ferry from Bangkok, but it's the opposite direction of all of the other beaches that you'd want to go to unless you're thinking about going to Cambodia as well.

Northern Thailand and Laos are my favorite places over there, but that's more jungle than beach, so I'm guessing you're looking for advice on the islands in the southwest of the country, and I'm not much help there.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Ladyboy three some?
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up lady boys! Lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Ladyboy three some?
How do you know he didn't marry a lady boy? He never said he didn't.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Going on honeymoon in Thailand, trip ideas?
Suprise buttsecks?
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well she's not Thai and she has no riggin'...pretty much the farthest thing from a ladyboy!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well she's not Thai and she has no riggin'...pretty much the farthest thing from a ladyboy!
That's what she said.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Krabi, and Railey in particular.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hit up a full moon party.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Hit up a full moon party.
I'd advise against that. You don't want to make yourself regret getting married before your honeymoon is even over.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ladyboy three some?
Leaving satisfied
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Ao Thong Nai Pan on Koh Phangan is possibly the best beach l can think of. For diving, I recommend Sea Dragon, and particularly a live aboard. Great company, great diving. Don't miss Richelieu Rock , or choose between it and the Similans.

Such an awesome country. Have fun!
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
coaster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just got back from 3 months in Thailand and have visited there a half dozen times. I am sure you will get the info you want from the others, but I want to give you a piece of trave advice. Try to stay away from travelling by minivan. Go by big bus or rail if you can. If I could take every stray Thai dog and beat a minivan driver to death with it I'ld be a happy man and Thailand would be a better country.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would recommend Koh Tao for what you're looking for. It's got nice beaches, a little bit of night life, and some of the best diving in Thailand. It's smaller and much more laid back than Koh Phangan, the neighbouring island that has the monthly full moon parties.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did 3 months backpacking SE Asia last year, got to most of the major backpacker spots and some of the quieter, less well-known places as well. For a honeymoon I assume you won'y be wanting to stay in cheapo hostels like I did so I'd recommend:

- Railay is one of the most amazing beach spots in the world. Great climbing as well. There are also some nice upscale resorts to stay at. The only negatives are that the beach does get somewhat crowed but not too bad, and the dining/nightlife options are somewhat limited.

- Koh Samui is a nice option if you're looking for a more westernized and developed option. Plenty of nice mid-range and upscale resorts. Nice beaches, many dining options and good nightlife. Unfortunately the island is fairly crowded with tourists, although I'm sure you can find more secluded areas as it is quite large. You also have the option of taking a boat across to the Full Moon Party if you are so inclined - without having to stay in the backpacker party madness of Ko Phangan.

- Ko Tao is the place to go for diving, it is known as having the best diving in Thailand and there are probably 100 dive shops on the island. A very chilled out and relaxing spot but there is a little bit of nightlife. The beaches are nice, but not spectacular.

- Koh Lipe is my suggestion if you are looking for a place to forget about the world for a couple weeks. It's more rustic than the other places I've mentioned, there isn't even an ATM there, but there are loads of private beachfront huts that you can have to yourself. The beaches are amazing, and diving is decent.

Places to avoid:

- Koh Phi Phi is a great place to party with Scandinavians, but the beach is full of seaweed and sea lice, and I don't think there are very many places to stay that would be suitable for a honeymoon.

- Similarily, Ko Phangan is backpacker party central (especially Haad Rin Beach, the site of Full Moon). There are some other nice beaches further up the island, but they are not accessible by road, and you are at the mercy of crooked boat operators who charge exorbitant rates.

- I'm on the fence about Phuket. I only spent a day there and it felt like Thai Cancun to me. It's a huge place though and there are some very nice luxury resorts away from the crowds that would be worth a shot.

- Pattaya is full of fat, old sex tourists and Russians. It's quite possibly the sleaziest place in the world.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post: