Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A couple days in Paris

I'm asking on behalf of my girlfriend - she's going to be in Paris for three days in December on her own.

Where would be a relatively safe area of the city for her to stay? She doesn't usually travel alone and is sort of worried about being in such a big city on her own.

Any hotel recommendations? Somewhere an early 20's girl can feel reasonably safe walking around on her own?

I know absolutely nothing about Paris.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly recommending taking midnight walks.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In before 'Taken' jokes...

...ahh, whatever. Post them!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best hotel deal in Paris is Grand Hotel Francais - it's in the 11th, so a less touristy and more neighbourhood oriented part of Paris. It'll take a metro ride to get to the more famous districts, but it's close to transit. Always gets very high reviews on tripadvisor. I stayed there a couple years ago, was very pleased.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...de_France.html

You can feel safe in most of central Paris - it's always so busy on the streets it's hard to not feel safe.

Also, eat at Entrecote - a Paris tradition. Best steak frites.

http://www.relaisentrecote.fr/
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Three days alone in Paris?

So you mean your ex-girlfriend.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the most dangerous parts of Paris are the very touristy areas during busy times. Pickpockets and such prey on tourists. December is a low season, so it won't be that bad. On the plus side, she will be able to enjoy the Christmas Markets. Vin Chaud + Tartiflette = very happy jtfrogger.

In our last trip to France, we spent one night at Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg. I would recommend it as a nice hotel for a reasonable price. The neighbourhood seemed fine, but we were only there for one day.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just flew into Paris this summer, didn't stay, and left Paris by train. All I heard about was the pickpockets and to guard your purse/wallet etc. One of the people I was travelling with had a crazy story about Gypsy's trying to steal his friend's wallet, while one of them was distracting him. A woman was asking him for food for her baby, when he told her he didn't have any she got very insistent. He noticed out of the corner of his eye, someone trying to steal his friend's wallet who was sitting beside him and when he yelled, the woman with the baby, literally, threw her baby at him, so of course his instinct was to catch the baby, in the commotion, the guy trying to steal the wallet got away. This was right under the Eiffel Tower. The police came very quickly, but the Gypsy's were gone (with the baby, that they grabbed).

Last edited by bigtmac19; 11-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paris, France or Paris, Ontario? Big difference!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are plenty of hotels on secluded side streets where one could quickly find themselves alone- especially at night. This is the case even in the busy summer season- not that we have ever felt unsafe in Paris. This of course is referring to the central, touristy parts of Paris, which is a very large area. Can't speak for elsewhere.

In my experience, areas around champ elysees and the Paris opera house are most likely to be busy after hours and therefore safe to walk around at night. I wouldn't recommend her staying near montmartre or any other non central areas... and staying inside after dark is pretty much an impossibility at this time of the year. I really wouldn't think there are any unsafe areas in central Paris during the day.

I won't offer any hotel suggestions, as the places we have stayed in were very nice, but ghost towns at night- usually south of the river close to the Eiffel Tower.

Other than that, we have never felt unsafe in the touristy parts of Paris- Boulevard de Clichy near Montmartre is a little iffy, but it really isn't a spot most people go to except to see Moulin rogue. Montmartre itself is amazing though to visit.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 11-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post

"Malcomk14, I'm stealing you girlfriend".......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I went to Paris, it seemed fine just didn't stay out too late ex. no clubing and metro closes at 1 am anyways. People were saying to not use the Gare due Nord station during nightime, so I stopped a station before and walked if needed.

Also just as bigmac mentioned, be aware when someone stops you to talk. If it's a tourist it's usually fine, but if it's a local then be careful. I got my iphone stolen in Belgium when I stopped to chat with a local as he distracted me while his friend grabbed it from my pocket.
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We saw the "ring scam" being pulled so many times when we were there. It got so we'd be walking down a street and I could instantly see the moment it was happening. Any time someone talked to us we basically just kept our head down, said "Je suis desolais" and kept on truckin. Zut alors!
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I just flew into Paris this summer, didn't stay, and left Paris by train. All I heard about was the pickpockets and to guard your purse/wallet etc. One of the people I was travelling with had a crazy story about Gypsy's trying to steal his friend's wallet, while one of them was distracting him. A woman was asking him for food for her baby, when he told her he didn't have any she got very insistent. He noticed out of the corner of his eye, someone trying to steal his friend's wallet who was sitting beside him and when he yelled, the woman with the baby, literally, threw her baby at him, so of course his instinct was to catch the baby, in the commotion, the guy trying to steal the wallet got away. This was right under the Eifel Tower. The police came very quickly, but the Gypsy's were gone (with the baby, that they grabbed).
I lol'd, does that make me bad?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I lol'd, does that make me bad?
I lol'd because that whole description of Paris sounded like something some paranoid traveler comes up with (everyone has heard the baby story, and it isn't exactly common). Yes, there are scams in Paris. Yes, there are pick pockets. Yes, there are gypsies etc. BUT, the chances of you having anything happen to you is so mathematically slim. Just be smart and you'll be fine. Also, if your girlfriend is remotely stylish she won't get bothered at all.

My hot tips:
1) For two days, she's probably going to just want to hang around central Paris. Go walking up and down the north and south banks of the Seine between Notre Dame and the Champ de Mars. Most of the main sites are up and down around there.
2) I recommend finding a hotel in or around St. Germain Despres. It's on the south bank, kind of near Notre Dame. Nice area, easy to get away from the more touristy areas.
3) If she has time, it'd be worth strolling around Montmartre.
4) I would recommend checking out the catacombs if she isn't freaked out by bones. It's amazing seeing so many generations of Parisians piled up in stylish bone piles.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is just my opinion based on experience, but I would bet that pickpocket rates drop quite a bit in the low season. Not because there are less tourists but because it is cold out.

In the summer you wear less clothing and are forced to carry important stuff in bags that can be lifted quite easily.

If you are wearing a jacket with zip pockets or whatever, those are much more difficult to access without noticing.

I think Rome is considered one of the worst for pickpockets, I was there in March, when it was cool. I'm pretty sure I stood out as a tourist. I carried everything in the zip pockets of my jacket and I didn't have a problem at all.

As always being smart is the most important. Also small deterrents go a long way.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post

It may sound like a pseudo-joke, but this actually happened to me!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple days in Paris, is my second favourite P. Hilton movie.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this advice isnt particularly helpful, but here it is anyways:

Enjoy it.

Dont try and cram in all the sights in 2 or 3 days, you cant and you wont have any fun. Just enjoy it. Pick a few things and stick to them. But take your time and enjoy it.

I've known too many people who have gone there for a short time and tried to see everything. Dont do that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Avoid anywhere in or around Montmartre, in particular Pigalle and Barbes. Most neighbourhoods south of the Seine before the highway (the Peripherique) are safer, but also more expensive. Porte d'Orleans is supposed to be pretty good and the Quartier Latin is cute and vibrant (and close to Notre Dame...but also probably more expensive). There may be some chain hotels (so maybe less expensive?) just on the other side of the highway south, but don't go too far past because then you're in the suburbs and transit gets to be a pain.

(this is advice I got from a man from France and a woman who lives in Paris)
bcsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I know this advice isnt particularly helpful, but here it is anyways:

Enjoy it.

Dont try and cram in all the sights in 2 or 3 days, you cant and you wont have any fun. Just enjoy it. Pick a few things and stick to them. But take your time and enjoy it.

I've known too many people who have gone there for a short time and tried to see everything. Dont do that.
Couldn't agree more.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote