Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 05:37 PM   #2301
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree with Savvy. As much as we want the Flames to be bad, there are just too many teams that are going to be way worse.

Plus we will probably sign one or two Engelland types that will overachieve for us.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:46 PM   #2302
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trade Andersson. Remove all doubt...
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:57 PM   #2303
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
ah ha! Sorry. I didn't want to dive into all of them, but those seemed like really odd Ds to want, and I'm a huge fan of Mario Ferraro.
some people want really odd Ds, no telling why, just the way it is
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #2304
SemicolonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I could see the Flames make a playoff push for the vibes and team spirit and sacrifice the 15th overall 1st rounder.

I hate how that's even an option, what core or horses do we have for any kind of playoff run? It's such a dumb choice that'll ensure we don't end up bottom 10.

Only hope we have to go against this is winning the draft lottery lol. Win that and then at least sacrificing next years lower pick is ok because of the boost of Celebrini. Hell we might even just say scrap it all and offer UFAs max contracts because the savior is here.

We made great long-term style choices this last year under Conny, I hope they don't rush the rebuild trying to be competitive next year and stick to that kind of planning. And long-term doesn't even have to be 10 years anymore, maybe not even 5, but please at least a year or two of savvy moves instead of pushing for playoffs to the detriment of the team next year.
SemicolonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:18 PM   #2305
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I agree with Savvy. As much as we want the Flames to be bad, there are just too many teams that are going to be way worse.

Plus we will probably sign one or two Engelland types that will overachieve for us.
The Flames are a bottom ten team this year and they had Vezina level goaltending for most of the season and a whole bunch guys having great seasons. Where does the improvement come from next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
For next season?

Anaheim
Arizona
Chicago
San Jose

You?
Those are the teams that I think are clearly worse
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:48 PM   #2306
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The Flames are a bottom ten team this year and they had Vezina level goaltending for most of the season and a whole bunch guys having great seasons. Where does the improvement come from next year?

Those are the teams that I think are clearly worse
I would be pretty surprised if Utah isn’t ahead of the Flames next year.

I don’t think there is a team with more cap space and draft capital headed into this offseason. Add a motivated owner, I think they’re primed for a huge step forward.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:16 PM   #2307
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only huge move I see happening is the Markstorm trade.
Otherwise I don't see any huge moves happening to push thr flames either way.

Offseason predictions:

- markstrom trade
- sign mid roster vet UFA 2-3 years
- trade for an under 24 player that's a little buried

Conroy is largely leaving it up to the players to decide what they are.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #2308
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

Offseason predictions:

- markstrom trade

I wouldn't be surprised if Conroy signs a veteran who can't catch on with a contender to a 1-year show-me contract, and can then be flipped as a rental at the deadline to a contender. It's one thing thing that make the Flames attractive.

He isn't going to say it out loud, but he is probably anticipating being a seller again for another season and it's a good way to possibly get a free asset.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:02 PM   #2309
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing Conroy could have done was trade everyone last offseason but that was never going to happen as they still could have just underperformed and bounced back and values were garbage anyways

If he had taken all picks instead of the three (Belo-)Russians that played this year (if that was even an option) we would have finished worse but that clearly wasn’t the objective at the start of the year.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:41 PM   #2310
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Conroy signs a veteran who can't catch on with a contender to a 1-year show-me contract, and can then be flipped as a rental at the deadline to a contender. It's one thing thing that make the Flames attractive.

He isn't going to say it out loud, but he is probably anticipating being a seller again for another season and it's a good way to possibly get a free asset.
That's an interesting strategy, that would be one way to acquire more picks. I think the key here would be to pick up players that are not Neal or Brouwer types.. however if done properly that would be a shrewd strategy. We developed, Noah Hanifin, Anderson, Kylington.

Wasn't developing defenseman and later trading them a strategy that the Nashville Predators used a few years ago?

Bringing in the right pieces on one year deals and then trading them at the deadline would be a very good strategy to restock the cupboards.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:43 PM   #2311
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

They could do this with Tanev.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:49 PM   #2312
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan1977 View Post
Hello Flames fans! Looooong time reader but never post. I do need to say that all of you who believe they need to tank….It is not happening. Conroy has already stated time and again the goal is playoffs. It really gets to be a broken record when it’s the same argument over and over.

Actions speak louder than words
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:57 PM   #2313
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I would be pretty surprised if Utah isn’t ahead of the Flames next year.

I don’t think there is a team with more cap space and draft capital headed into this offseason. Add a motivated owner, I think they’re primed for a huge step forward.
Terry Pegula.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:34 AM   #2314
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If he had taken all picks instead of the three (Belo-)Russians that played this year (if that was even an option) we would have finished worse but that clearly wasn’t the objective at the start of the year.
It wouldn’t have likely been an option.

Kuzmenko was simply a cap dump, he would have had negative value in the trade. The flames got an extra prospect for taking him. Worked out great.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 06:42 AM   #2315
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It wouldn’t have likely been an option.

Kuzmenko was simply a cap dump, he would have had negative value in the trade. The flames got an extra prospect for taking him. Worked out great.

Agreed, and I’m happy with the returns. If all they wanted was to improve their draft position maybe they could have taken useless camp dumps, but these guys could become good trade pieces in the future so no problem.

The only downside of trading for or signing short term reclamation and flip players is that it keeps the team in middling draft position, even if it increases the number of picks.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:58 AM   #2316
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You can keep ranting about the moaning and crying from fans but all Conroy has said that a teams needs to be competitive and play hard. Not that it is playoffs or bust. Every team wants young and cost-controlled players but good ones are rarely ever up for a trade. My guess is he adds a few more players on the cheap like Miromanov and calls it a day. The best quote he has had is about staying out of the free agent market unless he can sign some players to two or three year contracts.
These are exactly the type of moves he makes. He wants the team to be competitive, that could mean he does not want to get blown out 5 to 1 every night. He wants the team to be in the game and have a chance to win.

Lack of talent will hold them back from being above .500 next year and lack of experienced dmen will as well.

If they trade Markstrom, they will be a bottom 5 team unless Wolf pulls a complete 180 and plays like he has in the AHL. Even then they will be bottom 10.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:01 AM   #2317
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

Offseason predictions:

- markstrom trade

The other potential big moves might be trying to re-sign some players. I could see him extending Sharangovich this summer.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #2318
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames will not be competing for the playoffs next season.

Even the terrible teams like Chicago, the clock is ticking now to get some pieces and improve. Bedard has 2 years left of his ELC and that 2nd contract will likely be a big one. You need to make some strides this next 2 years, maybe even gun for a playoff appearance after this year. I can't see them trying to bottom out again. They got a franchise changer.

Same goes for San Jose. They have sucked for a long time now, its time to get a bit better. If Macklin is on the roster the clock starts ticking.

You always have some wild cards to suck as well, the Senators and Utah are always in the mix, although I can't see Smith spending 1.3 billion and ice a team that will pick in the lottery.

Some teams will dip, I expect LA to take a big step back, but they are not as bad as the Flames.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:05 AM   #2319
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Can we all just agree that no matter what, success and making/nearly the playoffs or abject failure/tanking next season, we will all agree to be miserable about the outcome?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:15 AM   #2320
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The Flames will not be competing for the playoffs next season.

Even the terrible teams like Chicago, the clock is ticking now to get some pieces and improve. Bedard has 2 years left of his ELC and that 2nd contract will likely be a big one. You need to make some strides this next 2 years, maybe even gun for a playoff appearance after this year. I can't see them trying to bottom out again. They got a franchise changer.

Same goes for San Jose. They have sucked for a long time now, its time to get a bit better. If Macklin is on the roster the clock starts ticking.

You always have some wild cards to suck as well, the Senators and Utah are always in the mix, although I can't see Smith spending 1.3 billion and ice a team that will pick in the lottery.

Some teams will dip, I expect LA to take a big step back, but they are not as bad as the Flames.
I think SJ will stay the course this off season. They aren't close yet.

Anaheim, Columbus and Chicago have reasons to make some moves to improve. Doesn't mean they will be good, but they have enough high-end pieces now that they should be trying to climb the standings rather than just building through the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good