Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 01:13 PM   #2281
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

NFL also draft guys ready to play right away, if not starters for most of the 1st rounder. Bryce Young is closer to be a bust already after one year.
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:35 PM   #2282
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah comparing NFL draft to any other draft is akin to comparing Nascar to horse racing. Completely different universes.

The NBA is closest and even then it's not all that comparable.

NFL draft you're still getting starters in round 7 because you're picking for position almost 100 percent of the time. There's no BPA priority simply because there's soany position to address.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:24 PM   #2283
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah comparing NFL draft to any other draft is akin to comparing Nascar to horse racing. Completely different universes.

The NBA is closest and even then it's not all that comparable.

NFL draft you're still getting starters in round 7 because you're picking for position almost 100 percent of the time. There's no BPA priority simply because there's soany position to address.
Unless you're the Falcons this year apparently.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:02 PM   #2284
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
The Flames are not going to be a bottom 5 team. The only reason they even dropped into the bottom 10 this season after the trade deadline was the play of Jacob Markstrom, a true tank commander.
Didn't want to restate your whole post, but it is a testament to what I have been saying for a long time which is: goalie stats are pretty much useless.

Team trades 2 top 4 defensemen, and goes from okay to terrible, giving up 5 alarm changes all over the place, and the goalie's stats tank. Huh.

Was Markstom as hot as he was earlier? No. But how could he be? It's a team game, and looking at stats can miss that sometimes.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:17 PM   #2285
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Didn't want to restate your whole post, but it is a testament to what I have been saying for a long time which is: goalie stats are pretty much useless.

Team trades 2 top 4 defensemen, and goes from okay to terrible, giving up 5 alarm changes all over the place, and the goalie's stats tank. Huh.

Was Markstom as hot as he was earlier? No. But how could he be? It's a team game, and looking at stats can miss that sometimes.
Fair enough. If you are taking the position that goalie stats don't matter then we'll just have to disagree. There is nothing that I have seen which indicates that the Flames started giving up a ton more chances after Hanifin and Tanev were gone and I think Wolf's performance over the same period aligns with that.

Markstrom was the worst goalie in the league over his last eight games and it made a huge difference.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:20 PM   #2286
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For whatever reason a lot of people are just brushing aside how bad the defense is. The Flames lost a top 4 defensive dman and a #2/3 dman. They have two top four guys and a whole bunch of question marks.

Markstrom was the only reason the Flames were even hanging around a playoff spot and then the wheels fell off.

I don't think there are even 5 teams I would take Calgary's defense over right now.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:28 PM   #2287
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about the Flames defense group as it stands today though is, the only Vet now is Weegar, Andersson and I guess Kylington?? And they're all young enough to grow into the new regime or be traded for more assistance.

The rest of the hopefully are just entering their full time careers and Conroy made sure he has anough of them to increase the odds that a couple of them stick.

I'd also add we haven't even the the prized Defensive acquisitions play yet in Grushnikov and Bruce. Their training camps will dictate a lot of where the defense will go in the next few seasons.

Long an short of it, this isn't an aging D corps and you're building it up on the correct side of things. This isn't a group of old men earning their final paydays, and that's a good thing.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:31 PM   #2288
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The thing about the Flames defense group as it stands today though is, the only Vet now is Weegar, Andersson and I guess Kylington?? And they're all young enough to grow into the new regime or be traded for more assistance.

The rest of the hopefully are just entering their full time careers and Conroy made sure he has anough of them to increase the odds that a couple of them stick.

I'd also add we haven't even the the prized Defensive acquisitions play yet in Grushnikov and Bruce. Their training camps will dictate a lot of where the defense will go in the next few seasons.

Long an short of it, this isn't an aging D corps and you're building it up on the correct side of things. This isn't a group of old men earning their final paydays, and that's a good thing.
I agree that there is plenty of room for optimism going forward. But anyone arguing that the defense was at all fine, from the trade deadline on, is crazy.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #2289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. If you are taking the position that goalie stats don't matter then we'll just have to disagree. There is nothing that I have seen which indicates that the Flames started giving up a ton more chances after Hanifin and Tanev were gone and I think Wolf's performance over the same period aligns with that.

Markstrom was the worst goalie in the league over his last eight games and it made a huge difference.
Yes, let's agree to disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:45 PM   #2290
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
For whatever reason a lot of people are just brushing aside how bad the defense is. The Flames lost a top 4 defensive dman and a #2/3 dman. They have two top four guys and a whole bunch of question marks.

Markstrom was the only reason the Flames were even hanging around a playoff spot and then the wheels fell off.

I don't think there are even 5 teams I would take Calgary's defense over right now.
Quote:
I agree that there is plenty of room for optimism going forward. But anyone arguing that the defense was at all fine, from the trade deadline on, is crazy.
That's very rude.

Go ahead. Explain how the defense was terrible. If it's so obvious then it must be easy to show where the problems were.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:54 PM   #2291
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It wasn't fine before the deadline either. It certainly wasn't good enough to push I to a playoff spot at any point in the season even with Markstrom going god mode when he came back from the broken finger injury to the deadline.

Post deadline it wasn't disastrous nor was it great. If anything the defense performed exactly how it should have given the turn over rate and the state of some of the incoming players. Miromanov only played a few games since coming back from long term rehabilitation on his legs, Kylington was still finding his feet, Hanley was about the only dud IMO in the whole group.

It could have been much worse if Pachal didn't materialize into a competent defender.

Post deadline was what it was, the result of depleting your mainstays from your core that wasn't good enough to secure a playoff spot. There certainly wasn't going to be an uptick in performance no matter which way the cookie crumbled. Just more of the same.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #2292
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's very rude.

Go ahead. Explain how the defense was terrible. If it's so obvious then it must be easy to show where the problems were.
Our defense is terrible. We have one top pairing in Weegar. One average 2nd pairing in Andersson. And one 3rd pairing in Kylington.

You can maybe make an argument that Miromanov is another bottom pairing, but I do think he and the rest of the d would likely be a #7 to 8 on a good team.
Rhett44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:15 PM   #2293
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know.

Coleman likely doesn't score 30 goals next season. Kadri isn't getting 75 points.

Huberdeau is talking about being a 60-70 point player going forward.

Does Weegar hit 20 goals? Do the Flames have the the #2 defence in scoring?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:23 PM   #2294
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think the trades of Tanev and Hanifin took a lot of steam out of the group, particularly a lot of the veterans. To me it seemed like the team was a bit lost and a few guys sort of checked out with Markstrom seeming like he had a lot of wind out of his sail. He did have an injury and wasn't the same after too, so maybe a factor. But I do think pre deadline Markstrom and the post deadline one were vastly different. Really for the better since the team was not making the playoffs even if he played like the guy before.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:28 PM   #2295
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's very rude.

The team was leaky all season in the defensive zone. Markstrom despite his rough finish still finished third overall in the league in GSAx which I think is one of the better stats to judge goalies against.
Pre-deadline his GSAx was 31.88, Vladar was -10.76, and Wolf was -5.56. Post deadline Markstrom was -2.95 and Wolf was -2.17.
Markstrom was worse post deadline but Wolf wasn't that much better. Markstrom stopped playing at a Vezina level and the Flames started losing because the goalie wasn't covering them anymore.

Outside of stats, which teams would you take Calgary's dcore over?
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:02 PM   #2296
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Markstrom was worse post deadline but Wolf wasn't that much better. Markstrom stopped playing at a Vezina level and the Fla

Outside of stats, which teams would you take Calgary's dcore over?
For next season?

Anaheim
Arizona
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Edmonton
Montreal
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Seattle
Toronto
Washington

It's not clear cut on some of them, but looking quickly through the depth charts I wouldn't eagerly switch the Flames D core with these teams.

You?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:20 PM   #2297
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
For next season?

Anaheim
Arizona
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Edmonton
Montreal
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Seattle
Toronto
Washington

It's not clear cut on some of them, but looking quickly through the depth charts I wouldn't eagerly switch the Flames D core with these teams.

You?
Are you making a hyperbolic point or would you really eagerly take San Jose's and Chicago's D over Calgary's? I'm not going to get into the rest, but that seems... odd.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:25 PM   #2298
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
Are you making a hyperbolic point or would you really eagerly take San Jose's and Chicago's D over Calgary's? I'm not going to get into the rest, but that seems... odd.
You read it backwards.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:26 PM   #2299
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
No, these are the teams that I wouldn't switch for Calgary's D. At first blush anyways... It's hard to make a call like that quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 05:33 PM   #2300
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

ah ha! Sorry. I didn't want to dive into all of them, but those seemed like really odd Ds to want, and I'm a huge fan of Mario Ferraro.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good