Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #81
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
C'mon now. The guy is making assumptions that are ridiculous. I have tenants that pay cash and don't bother asking for a receipt. The money still goes to the bank to pay the mortgage. Property taxes are paid. There's no profit involved, so what does the jackass OP think his landlord is doing? It's not like having a revenue property is some kind of underground business. He's not building decks for cash here. It's a piece of property. The owner is on title.

Christ, with all the money involved in maintaining a rental property, the OP should be happy he has a place to live.
The OP said "strong suspicions that this shady character is not paying any tax" Yes, it is an assumption on his part. But it's not up to him to investigate; it's up the proper authorities. They can't investigate unless people who care step forward. Tax evasion effects all of us.

Regardless of whether he has a profit, breaks even or has a loss; there is a responsibility to file tax returns. If he is following the law then what's the big deal?

Call me crazy, but I guess I just expect everyone to live by the same rules.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #82
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
The OP said "strong suspicions that this shady character is not paying any tax" Yes, it is an assumption on his part. But it's not up to him to investigate; it's up the proper authorities. They can't investigate unless people who care step forward. Tax evasion effects all of us.

Regardless of whether he has a profit, breaks even or has a loss; there is a responsibility to file tax returns. If he is following the law then what's the big deal?

Call me crazy, but I guess I just expect everyone to live by the same rules.

Yea. And the way I figure, if I'm the one with the suite, the appliances, and the mortgage, who the hell are you to question what I do with your money after you pay me the mo'fuggin rent?

The OP is a total jackass, and the way you're defending him makes me question your business sense. I pay cash at the gas station and I don't bother wondering whether the attendant reports the sale to his/her supervisor. OK, bad example because I get a receipt, but I get that receipt for my own tax purposes.

This thread is so bloody stupid that I'm almost mad. Just the idea that one of my tenants would question what the hell I spent their measly rent on makes me want to stick $16.99 smoke detector down their m'fn throat.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #83
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I seriously wish I could put the OP through a month or even a week of what a landlord goes through. He'd STFU pretty quick. First Lady, go get yourself a revenue property or two before you reply again.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #84
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yea. And the way I figure, if I'm the one with the suite, the appliances, and the mortgage, who the hell are you to question what I do with your money after you pay me the mo'fuggin rent?

The OP is a total jackass, and the way you're defending him makes me question your business sense. I pay cash at the gas station and I don't bother wondering whether the attendant reports the sale to his/her supervisor. OK, bad example because I get a receipt, but I get that receipt for my own tax purposes.

This thread is so bloody stupid that I'm almost mad. Just the idea that one of my tenants would question what the hell I spent their measly rent on makes me want to stick $16.99 smoke detector down their m'fn throat.

My business sense? I'm a bookkeeper. I would never take a client who wanted me to "cook the books" and if I suspected one of my clients of tax evasion; I would report them in a heartbeat.

I have this funny thing called ethics. Doing the right thing helps me sleep at night.

I wonder how people's reactions would change if the landlord was a local politician.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #85
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I seriously wish I could put the OP through a month or even a week of what a landlord goes through. He'd STFU pretty quick. First Lady, go get yourself a revenue property or two before you reply again.
So you go through grief in a business you choose to be in and you think that exempts people from following the law?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #86
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

LOL. Cooking the books and paying a mortgage are two different things. The OP seems to think that his rent money is going into the landlord's pocket as some kind of party fund. If you (or he) had ever managed a revenue property, you'd both know that there's a LITTLE BIT more to it than that.
Being cash positive on a revenue property is a bit of an acheivement these days. I don't know WTF he (or you) thinks the money is being spent on, but going on a witch hunt isn't going to flush out the tax evading Al Capones in Alberta.

You must be kidding me. Because the guy doesn't bust out a $2.00 receipt book from Staples, you're talking about calling CRA? LOL.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #87
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. Cooking the books and paying a mortgage are two different things. The OP seems to think that his rent money is going into the landlord's pocket as some kind of party fund. If you (or he) had ever managed a revenue property, you'd both know that there's a LITTLE BIT more to it than that.
Being cash positive on a revenue property is a bit of an acheivement these days. I don't know WTF he (or you) thinks the money is being spent on, but going on a witch hunt isn't going to flush out the tax evading Al Capones in Alberta.

You must be kidding me. Because the guy doesn't bust out a $2.00 receipt book from Staples, you're talking about calling CRA? LOL.
As I've already mentioned; the bottom line of business doesn't exempt people from filing their taxes. Not sure what you don't get about this; it's pretty straight forward.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #88
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'm not sure what you're not getting. You seem to agree that because he pays his landlor in cash, that it somehow translates into tax fraud. The crazy sumbitch wants to sic CRA on the guy because he *thinks* that he's not paying taxes. The guy has no idea what he's talking about! And you're egging him on!

Let's go throught this really slowly...

When you have a rental property, you have to pay TAXES. Where do you get this money? Your paycheque? From collected rents? Who the F*** cares? You pay the taxes on that property.

Are you collecting a little more per month than what you owe on the property? Perhaps. What's the difference? If you're lucky, a hundred or three per month. What's the R&M per year on the property? A fu**load more than that. So again, why are you or the OP getting in on this business? Everyone pays capital gains, so it's not like there are pirates running off with gazillions of dollars worth of rent money.

You people have no idea what you're talking about.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #89
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ. I feel like I just walked into a McCarthy hearing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #90
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're not getting. You seem to agree that because he pays his landlor in cash, that it somehow translates into tax fraud. The crazy sumbitch wants to sic CRA on the guy because he *thinks* that he's not paying taxes. The guy has no idea what he's talking about! And you're egging him on!

Let's go throught this really slowly...

When you have a rental property, you have to pay TAXES. Where do you get this money? Your paycheque? From collected rents? Who the F*** cares? You pay the taxes on that property.

Are you collecting a little more per month than what you owe on the property? Perhaps. What's the difference? If you're lucky, a hundred or three per month. What's the R&M per year on the property? A fu**load more than that. So again, why are you or the OP getting in on this business? Everyone pays capital gains, so it's not like there are pirates running off with gazillions of dollars worth of rent money.

You people have no idea what you're talking about.

Well first of all, I'm not referring to property tax. I'm talking about tax on the the rental property revenue (or loss as the case may be.)

Every person is required to file tax returns, I'm sure you are familiar with that.

If a person (or business) owns rental property, that also has to be reported on the appropriate tax return.

You mentioned you have tenants so I'm sure you are then familiar with this form. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4...tml#P195_12960

If not, I suggest you give Locke a call. IIRC he is an accountant.

Paying cash in and of itself isn't necessary a big deal. The fact there is ZERO paper trail in this case is a HUGE red flag.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #91
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Jesus Christ. I feel like I just walked into a McCarthy hearing.

I feel like I just walked into a trashed suite. Hmm... Busted walls need repairs, replace the fridge, get the suite cleaned, post an ad, spend my time showing it, call the references... SOUNDS LUCRATIVE! Why isn't everyone doing this?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #92
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like I just walked into a trashed suite. Hmm... Busted walls need repairs, replace the fridge, get the suite cleaned, post an ad, spend my time showing it, call the references... SOUNDS LUCRATIVE! Why isn't everyone doing this?
You might find this an interesting read.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm/cnvct...00726-eng.html
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #93
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love the "ripping out our kitchen" part

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Lol why the hell do you care? The worst people in society are the ones you rat on you to the government.

Nothing sucked more than when I was a kid (about 10-15 years ago) than having to rip out our kitchen in our basement several times because of tattle tales. They'd come in and check it out and make sure we complied with the rules and when they leave we'd put our kitchen back together. Why the heck do people care?

Now I have 2 rental properties and both basement suites are illegal, but thankfully the government doesn't care these days because of the housing crunch. I also pay all my taxes FYI.

Last edited by Pinner; 11-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #94
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Well first of all, I'm not referring to property tax. I'm talking about tax on the the rental property revenue (or loss as the case may be.)

Every person is required to file tax returns, I'm sure you are familiar with that.

If a person (or business) owns rental property, that also has to be reported on the appropriate tax return.

You mentioned you have tenants so I'm sure you are then familiar with this form. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4...tml#P195_12960

Paying cash in and of itself isn't necessary a big deal. The fact there is ZERO paper trail in this case is a HUGE red flag.
When I call Locke, I'll get him to write off the losses the business takes from the ###### tenants that let their dogs chew the baseboards. Until then, I'll spend my time making sure that the people that didn't qualify for their own mortgages are happy living in one of my suites, while I pay the property taxes and all the maintenance costs associated with a property. And if I ever end up with a little whiner like the d-bag that started this thread, I'll scrawl Revenue Canada's ph# on his eviction notice so that he can rat me out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #95
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When I call Locke, I'll get him to write off the losses the business takes from the ###### tenants that let their dogs chew the baseboards. Until then, I'll spend my time making sure that the people that didn't qualify for their own mortgages are happy living in one of my suites, while I pay the property taxes and all the maintenance costs associated with a property. And if I ever end up with a little whiner like the d-bag that started this thread, I'll scrawl Revenue Canada's ph# on his eviction notice so that he can rat me out.
There ya go; now you have it figured out.

Glad we could come to agreement.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #96
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm just going to report every cash transaction I make to the CRA. Pizza guy gets a cash tip, did he declare it? I dunno, he looked kind of shady. Better call the CRA.

The hot dog stand downtown doesn't have a POS machine. No paper trail, eh? Plus that guy looks totally muslim. Shady. I'm calling the CRA and maybe the RCMP to report a terrorist threat. You know, just to be on the safe side.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #97
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
There ya go; now you have it figured out.

Glad we could come to agreement.
You're the politician around here. Are you seriously patronizing me over something that makes legitimate business sense?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #98
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

And Peters Drive In only accepts cash, good luck auditing them.

I understand your political aspirations would prevent you from supporting tax evasion, but c'mon. You honestly think it is fair to report someone and potentially subject them to one of life's most stressful scenarios (an audit) over a hunch? So you report the guy, and he comes up clean... are you willing to reimburse his costs in relation to the audit? When I was audited, I cost me 3 days worth of income preparing, and I had to hire my accountant to go with me for the day, and I checked out just fine. If the guy is cheating it is up to the government to catch him.

So by your rationale....

I suspect my neighbours are smoking pot, because I can smell it.... I'll call the cops.

A guy I was having a conversation with in the motorcycle shop last week was telling me how quick his bike got to 200 kph, better rat him out too.

A friend of mine wore a new watch across the border and didn't declare the duty.... better call the CRA and ruin his life.

Every single one of those scenarios is directly parallel, if not more relevant because they have an admission of guilt. So by your rationale, every single one of those people should be ratted out.

I am glad I am not your neighbour.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #99
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're the politician around here. Are you seriously patronizing me over something that makes legitimate business sense?

You are the one saying you won't file your tax return unless you "end up with a little whiner like d-bag" tenant.

If you feel that makes legitimate business sense.... then, yes, I was patronizing you.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #100
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
And Peters Drive In only accepts cash, good luck auditing them.

I understand your political aspirations would prevent you from supporting tax evasion, but c'mon. You honestly think it is fair to report someone and potentially subject them to one of life's most stressful scenarios (an audit) over a hunch? So you report the guy, and he comes up clean... are you willing to reimburse his costs in relation to the audit? When I was audited, I cost me 3 days worth of income preparing, and I had to hire my accountant to go with me for the day, and I checked out just fine. If the guy is cheating it is up to the government to catch him.

So by your rationale....

I suspect my neighbours are smoking pot, because I can smell it.... I'll call the cops.

A guy I was having a conversation with in the motorcycle shop last week was telling me how quick his bike got to 200 kph, better rat him out too.

A friend of mine wore a new watch across the border and didn't declare the duty.... better call the CRA and ruin his life.

Every single one of those scenarios is directly parallel, if not more relevant because they have an admission of guilt. So by your rationale, every single one of those people should be ratted out.

I am glad I am not your neighbour.
I think you missed the main part of the sentence where I referred to cash.

Paying cash in and of itself isn't necessary a big deal.

The fact there is ZERO paper trail in this case is a HUGE red flag.

btw: This is not linked to my political ambitions. It is part of my work ethic and has been longer than my political ambitions. It just happens to go nicely on that front as well.