Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default I suspect my landlord is not paying tax on my rent

For the past year (besides spring break up) I have been renting a room in a oilfield town, paying by the month. There was never any security deposit or contract signed. The landlord said he preferred cash and never offered a receipt. I never felt a receipt would be of any benefit to me so I never forced the issue.

Other people I work with have stayed there in the past and it's the same situation. The landlord has mentioned the renovations he has had to make to turn it into a legal rental property and also how he gives all the cash to someone 'who takes care of it all for him.' I suspect if I start requesting a receipt one day I will come home from work and find all my stuff missing.

I have strong suspicions that this shady character is not paying any tax on the money I give him. what would be the best thing to do to make sure he is not committing tax fraud?
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
mykalberta
Franchise Player
 
mykalberta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

If if is I dont think you are liable.

I personally wouldnt be getting involved.
__________________
MYK - Supports Arizona to democtratically pass laws for the state of Arizona
Rudy was the only hope in 08
2011 Election: Cons 40% - Nanos 38% Ekos 34%
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Hes
Eye Guy
 
Hes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

What effect does it have on you ??

Honestly, you should always ask for a lease as if you bring it up he will likely just evict you.

If the rent he is making off you is less or equal to his mortgage payment it is a wash when it comes to taxes. You do not even need to claim it as income.
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

He's letting you live there, renovated the damn place, didn't make you sign a contract and you want to report him? lol!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

And no security deposit?

Who cares if he's paying taxes or not. The CRA often ends up catching on in these situations all by themselves. If he goes to sell one day and claims he had no rental income for the years he held it, they'll be looking at his bank accounts.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Jason14h
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Has said Tenant snuck into any Flames games lately?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
alltherage
Missed the bus
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alltherage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Well if you don't need a receipt, then why would you care?

Are you a tax tattler?
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
What effect does it have on you ??

Honestly, you should always ask for a lease as if you bring it up he will likely just evict you.

If the rent he is making off you is less or equal to his mortgage payment it is a wash when it comes to taxes. You do not even need to claim it as income.
I'm sure it's not as he is renting out 6 rooms in the house (old bungalow) and I also know that he bought it before the housing boom.
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
I'm sure it's not as he is renting out 6 rooms in the house (old bungalow) and I also know that he bought it before the housing boom.
Good for him. I wish I had several rental properties that I bought before the boom that I could rent for cash tbqh.
__________________

Thanks to HD for the sig.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Well if you don't need a receipt, then why would you care?

Are you a tax tattler?


I didn't realise CP was so cool with not paying taxes. I think he is a rotten slumlord who is breaking the law, is that a good enough reason?
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Are you a tax tattler?
He is, if anyone at CCRA reads calgarypuck.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Hes
Eye Guy
 
Hes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
I'm sure it's not as he is renting out 6 rooms in the house (old bungalow) and I also know that he bought it before the housing boom.
So you go to the government and say... this guy is not paying tax on his rental income. So the government asks for paper work and a copy of the cheques... Wait, there is not any.

He could say he is letting you stay there for free. If you are concerned get a lease signed. Even a month to month lease would leave a paper trail.

Not worth the fight because more than likely you would just get booted out.
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
oilfan69
Farm Team Player
 
oilfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

lol at mr.lol
Why would you care? Do you care what a pizza deliverer does with his tip money?
If anyone is a shady character in this story, I'm sure the majority of people on this forum would say it's not your landlord....
oilfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilfan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
I didn't realise CP was so cool with not paying taxes. I think he is a rotten slumlord who is breaking the law, is that a good enough reason?
Do you send a letter to the government ever time you tip in cash at a restaurant?
__________________

Thanks to HD for the sig.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player
 
Weiser Wonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Moscow, ID
Exp:
Default

How does he drive? Have you seen him speeding around town at 5, 10 even 15 km over? The cops will probably want to know about that.

What about his registration? Have you checked his tags lately?
__________________
As you can see, I'm completely ridiculous.
Weiser Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
So you go to the government and say... this guy is not paying tax on his rental income. So the government asks for paper work and a copy of the cheques... Wait, there is not any.

He could say he is letting you stay there for free. If you are concerned get a lease signed. Even a month to month lease would leave a paper trail.

Not worth the fight because more than likely you would just get booted out.

Ok, just trying to wade through the surliness and find out what the correct thing to do here would be. I don't want to go into detail but the living situation just seems to get worse and worse, and I'd like to have some kind of recourse.
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Maybe he is a freeman on the land.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar
 
Flashpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
For the past year (besides spring break up) I have been renting a room in a oilfield town, paying by the month. There was never any security deposit or contract signed. The landlord said he preferred cash and never offered a receipt. I never felt a receipt would be of any benefit to me so I never forced the issue.

Other people I work with have stayed there in the past and it's the same situation. The landlord has mentioned the renovations he has had to make to turn it into a legal rental property and also how he gives all the cash to someone 'who takes care of it all for him.' I suspect if I start requesting a receipt one day I will come home from work and find all my stuff missing.

I have strong suspicions that this shady character is not paying any tax on the money I give him. what would be the best thing to do to make sure he is not committing tax fraud?
The downside here seems to me that you basically have no protection if the guy tries to screw you over. You've been giving him cash, but can't prove it without receipts. If you come home one day and the locks have changed, what recourse do you have? There's no paper trail.

I'd be a little more worried about that, and a little less about Revenue Canada if I were in your shoes.
__________________
"No music before Oh Canada, no music after. Just angry red wall of hate."
-Bingo
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
kunkstyle
Franchise Player
 
kunkstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
I didn't realise CP was so cool with not paying taxes. I think he is a rotten slumlord who is breaking the law, is that a good enough reason?
Now that's two different issues all together. If he's actually a slumlord, I'd deal with that issue in itself, either by addressing that issue specifically, or moving out.

I'm all for everybody paying their fair share, but going to the CRA about him not paying taxes for some other reason you're not happy with the place is pretty passive aggressive.

Do you need a receipt? If so, that's an issue. If not, I'd say leave it be, or move out.
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016