Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CP Mock Draft - who should the Flames pick
Valeri Nichushkin 56 19.44%
Darnell Nurse 5 1.74%
Sean Monahan 224 77.78%
Hunter Shinkaruk 2 0.69%
Max Domi 0 0%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.35%
Bo Horvat 0 0%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Obviously Monahan, but I really don't think, given Carolina's history with a lack of European drafted players, that they take Lindholm over Monahan.

I'm worried that the Flames go after somebody like Nurse (... or Shinkaruk ...) over Lindholm if Monahan is gone.
Can't see it.

The Flames are as aware as everyone else that they need a C and that this draft is loaded with high quality Cs.

(At least) one of Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm will be available at #6. Extremely unlikely, IMO that they pass on that for anyone else.

The only scenario that I could see is if Barkov and Monahan are both gone and they go with Nichushkin. Very low probably IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

shouldn't ristolainen be on there? shut down d-man, easily the most underrated player in this draft. this guy is in the zach bogosian type. there is almost no way he falls out of the top 10. I would prefer the flames to land lindholm, as i think there is higher potential there. But I'm happy with a David Backes type player in Sean Monahon.
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it is fair that Monahan is considered the 'safer pick' over Nichushkin; I'm curious among those who say Monahan, have you always said go with the safe pick in prior drafts, or have you said BPA?

More often than not, the sentiment here on CP during draft time is that the Flames have played it safe, and been criticized for it.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like the thought of Nichushkin barrelling down the off-wing, but if Monahan is there I think we have to take him. Thoroughbred Canadian centre with great vision & strength. Potential to step right into the lineup & leadership abilities in the Toews/Yzerman mold. Either of these two could be the best player to come from this draft. I wouldn't be too mad if we went with the high-risk, HUGE reward Russian beast (or Lindholm in the real draft).
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I guess it is fair that Monahan is considered the 'safer pick' over Nichushkin; I'm curious among those who say Monahan, have you always said go with the safe pick in prior drafts, or have you said BPA?

More often than not, the sentiment here on CP during draft time is that the Flames have played it safe, and been criticized for it.
Russians IMO are exempt from BPA because of the lure of money and the easier life of KHL. I'm not saying they shoule be avoided but scouts and teams even admit there is a stigma and it's something that has to be considered.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I've seen it in print that prior to the start of this season some scouts thought Monahan could end up being the best player from the draft. He's boom/bust as well, however the consensus seems to be that if he 'busts' he'll end up centering the 2nd line. If Nichushkin busts he'll be on a different continent.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It has to be shake-yer-Mon-Mon in this instance. He fills a void that this team's had for so very many seasons, and could easily be one of those players that makes their GM look like a genius at some point down the road. I've been favouring Lindholm somewhat in the other threads, but if he's gone, this is a no-brainer for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wenneberg - Quite a bit younger than Monahan, IIRC. Numbers in the SEL about the same as Lindholm
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not that Monahan is a 'safe' pick.

It's that Nichushkin is a very risky pick. If Nichushkin were significantly better than Monahan, then it might be worth the risk. But considering how many great prospects are available, and how much the Flames are in need of restocking their shelves with both quantity and quality, especially at the C position, there is simply no need to take the risk with Nichushkin.

If it were a big drop off in talent after Nichushkin, different story. But that isn't the case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Wenneberg - Quite a bit younger than Monahan, IIRC. Numbers in the SEL about the same as Lindholm
Wennberg is a fine prospect, but he did not play in the SEL last year. He played in the league below the SEL.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Darnell Nurse. Like his name.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
It has to be shake-yer-Mon-Mon in this instance.
Just so you know, that's not happening.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Just so you know, that's not happening.
...Yeah, I know.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's not that Monahan is a 'safe' pick.

It's that Nichushkin is a very risky pick.
semantics; if Nichushkin is a risky pick, then Monahan, by comparison is a safer pick

Quote:
If it were a big drop off in talent after Nichushkin, different story. But that isn't the case.
I don't know if it is a big drop or a small one; I don't think you will find many reports that say there isn't a drop. Nichushkin is a better player. Allowing emotion (fear of the Russian factor) to dictate a selection would be the wrong thing for the Flames to do, especially if they have done their homework, and confirmed what Nichushkin and his agent have said. The Flames apparently are using their Decision Lens program to help rank players and take the emotional element out of their player rankings. If so I predict they will take the Russian
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
semantics; if Nichushkin is a risky pick, then Monahan, by comparison is a safer pick

I don't know if it is a big drop or a small one; I don't think you will find many reports that say there isn't a drop. Nichushkin is a better player. Allowing emotion (fear of the Russian factor) to dictate a selection would be the wrong thing for the Flames to do, especially if they have done their homework, and confirmed what Nichushkin and his agent have said. The Flames apparently are using their Decision Lens program to help rank players and take the emotional element out of their player rankings. If so I predict they will take the Russian
I'm going to say for the record that I don't believe Nichuschkin will have a better NHL career than Monahan and that's reason enough for me to choose him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not semantics - in your prior post, you talked about the Flames making safe picks. Part of my point was that Monahan isn't a safe pick in the context which that term is often used with respect to the draft (and how I interpreted your post).

In your opinion, Nichushkin is the better player. I would remind you that these guys are 18 years old. No one knows who will be the better player when they are 21. Personally, I see a lot of holes in Nichushkin's game. He is able to use his size advantage and speed advantage to skate around junior defensemen. We shall see if he is able to make a living doing that in the NHL. And beyond that, he is pretty one-dimensional.

IMO, Monahan is a far more complete player. I think he is a better prospect, and more likely to be a quality NHLer, as a result.

When you add the Russian factor to it, it is a no-brainer IMO, though I respect that others have different opinions. And for me, it isn't just a Russian thing (though that is definitely part of it)
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm going to say for the record that I don't believe Nichuschkin will have a better NHL career than Monahan and that's reason enough for me to choose him.
Completely agree, and I will also go on record as saying that I believe Monahan will have a better NHL career than Nichushkin. Not only a longer career, but he will be a more complete player.

I will also predict that Monahan will play more seasons with the team that drafts him than Nichushkin will. I will predict at least twice as many.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #38
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The difference when you're drafting this high is that the safe pick is almost a sure bet to be a 2nd line two way center whereas in previous drafts we've picked the safe guys who would be able to step into a 3rd or 4th line role if they didn't pan out.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #39
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably would have been Nichushkin if he was a Centre. But voted for a Centre, no flight risk and big. Monahan.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #40
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not wavering from who i have had my hopes on from the start. Monahan is not only the safe pick he is the right pick for what the Flames need. Size, hands, skating, hockey IQ, toughness and a Center.
Horvat or Lazur is who i hope they can steal at 22 as i think 5-6 Dmen will go prior to 22 and not all teams will be passing on some talented Wingers.