Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #3501
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Porsche Macan

EDIT: I guess that's not the size of a Telluride, but it's about the only ICE SUVish I'd consider for myself
Old 07-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #3502
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yes, 10 years ago they were bad

He's not talking about buying a 2011 though
Yeah, but in 2012...they were saying that about the product vs the 2002 version. Today it's still being said with the 2022 vs the 2012.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #3503
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because the build quality is appalling, they burst into flames at an alarming rate, and they depreciate like they were thrown out of a plane.

Yes, they have more features.

That’s all.

A 2011-12 Rav with 150,000km is worth between $15-17k.

A similar aged Tucson goes for reliably less, with half the mileage. With 200,000km, you’d be lucky to get seven grand.

You get what you pay for.
Yeah, Toyota does hold their value awesome. If that's a primary concern, I agree you should get a Toyota. I think Kia's resale outlook will change for the better by the time I'm ready to sell mine, but I don't have a crystal ball. Either way, I'd rather enjoy the better vehicle at the better price right now than have resale as my primary concern, but I am lucky that I don't have to worry about that now as much as I had to in the past. I've done well on most of my vehicle purchases and sales over the years so if I take a bath on the Kia in seven or so years I won't lose a wink of sleep.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #3504
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duplicate
Old 07-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #3505
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
See how you feel when they get to 150,000 km. Co worker of mine was ecstatic to get 2 grand for a 9 year old Sante Fe with 160,000 km that was riddled with mechanical issues.

If you keep buying a new one every 3-4 years people love them. Too many others I knew had the things falling apart at 8 years old.

Surprised a guy who thinks 5.8 seconds yo get to 100 is too slow would pimp a Kia....
They've come a long way from a decade ago according to basically anyone you want to talk to, your view of them seems stuck in the past. I know someone with a 2015 Hyundai and they have never had to do anything more than regular maintenance to it despite driving it into the ground. Even if it magically falls apart at year 8, that's amazing bang for your buck. Totally pales in comparison to the people I know who own Fords, Toyotas, Nissans or Chevys.

But really, what do you want an SUV for? How many seats do you need?

You might be in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation. Either pony up the money for an electric where you don't know the reliability and maintenance costs 10 years out, or get something you can afford now that's giving you the highest quality with the best bang for your buck.

Or, get something cheaper and reserve some money for repairs if you're worried about it.

It kind of seems like you're asking for a unicorn.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #3506
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are 1/2 Tonne trucks still in high demand on the used market? I think we're ready to ditch ours, and a brief search shows I can likely get what I paid for it used 6 years ago. But I haven't been watching closely enough to know if those trucks are actually selling or not, with gas prices where they are.

On another note; is there ever any value into the emails from dealerships that want your used vehicle due to demand? I know buying a new car is a challenge right now, so is there actual increased demand for used vehicles, or are they just trying to get me into a new one?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #3507
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's hard to find reliable data that isn't just paid for, but I googled and clicked on the top 5 results for 'Most reliable vehicle brands 2020' and every single one of the had Kia in the top 3
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #3508
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Are 1/2 Tonne trucks still in high demand on the used market? I think we're ready to ditch ours, and a brief search shows I can likely get what I paid for it used 6 years ago. But I haven't been watching closely enough to know if those trucks are actually selling or not, with gas prices where they are.

On another note; is there ever any value into the emails from dealerships that want your used vehicle due to demand? I know buying a new car is a challenge right now, so is there actual increased demand for used vehicles, or are they just trying to get me into a new one?
For the trucks, not as much as last year since now a lot of people are dumping them due to gas costs, but still higher than average demand for sure.

Overall, definitely higher demand in used vehicles for sure
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #3509
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but in 2012...they were saying that about the product vs the 2002 version. Today it's still being said with the 2022 vs the 2012.
While all anecdotal, we have owned 2 Hyundai:

2003 Santa Fe, ran out 175,000km no issues ever
2011 Van, ran out 180,000km near the end had an issue with the one power door not always working

I'd buy a Hyundai again

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #3510
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Because the build quality is appalling, they burst into flames at an alarming rate, and they depreciate like they were thrown out of a plane.

That’s all.

A similar aged Tucson goes for reliably less, with half the mileage. With 200,000km, you’d be lucky to get seven grand.

I'd peg them at somewhere in the middle for depreciation. Japanese still are the best (not including Nissan, which is Japan's Chrysler), but I'd say BMW and Mercedes take the biggest kick to the nuts for depreciation. Kia/Hyundai are in the middle of the pack, but I believe they have the best shot of any brand to improve their mid- to long-term resale value. VW holds their value well in Alberta as well from my experience.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #3511
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I have a dog...so whatever Pepsi-Free and Silver say...I'll do the opposite.

Probably why I'm poor and they aren't. The idea of not buying anything...that's the one I like. Good luck selling that to my spouse though.

I agree with the idea of avoiding German brands unless you have the money and want to lease a high tech product. Nissan has been awful since Renault hooked into them I'll avoid those. As was noted above...sub 200k a year income maybe driving is a orivelege my family has to cut back on.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 07-06-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #3512
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

That’s all.

Haha sorry to keep coming back to this post, but I keep taking issue with things in it as I re-read.

Wouldn't you think a quiet SUV would indicate good build quality? How do you explain their build quality being "appalling" yet consumer reports - and literally every other automobile publication - rates the Telluride as the best mid-size SUV and the quietest? What are your seeing that suggests it's anything other than the best?
Old 07-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #3513
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I have a dog...so whatever Pepsi-Free and Silver say...I'll do the opposite.

Probably why I'm poor and they aren't. The idea of not buying anything...that's the one I like. Good luck selling that to my spouse though.

I agree with the idea of avoiding German brands unless you have the money and want to lease a high tech product. Nissan has been awful since Renault hooked into them I'll avoid those. As was noted above...sub 200k a year income maybe driving is a orivelege my family has to cut back on.
Well don't listen to me. Listen to every single automobile journalist that ranks that Telluride as the best SUV. You can't do better and they're less expensive.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #3514
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well don't listen to me. Listen to every single automobile journalist that ranks that Telluride as the best SUV. You can't do better and they're less expensive.
You can't use reason to get someone to change their opinion if they didn't use reason to initially form their opinion.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #3515
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toyota should be off the table on the basis that their products are soulless and boring, with all the charisma and allure of a white 80s Maytag washing machine. [shrug] Sure they last, but it's an appliance.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #3516
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are VW's still very unreliable? I had a 2000 Jetta and it was by far the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I like the look of the Taos but don't know if I want to go down the VW road again.

FWIW, my last two vehicles were Subaru and have been fantastic. I've owned my 2014 Impreza hatchback (CVT) since new and it currently has 201,000 km. The only unscheduled maintenance I had to do was an AC compressor about 5 years ago.

I'm hoping to drive it for another 1-2 years at which point the market will hopefully be normal again. I'll most likely get another Subaru but might consider a VW Taos or the new Honda HR-V.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #3517
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Are VW's still very unreliable?
I wasn't aware they were considered as such. Hope not, as we just bought a used 2017 Sportwagen recently!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #3518
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mazda. Tops CR reliability reports, consistent in the top amongst other similar reviews, I’ve been going the YouTube/Reddit/Forum/Fleet prowl, and there’s like no known, recurring or problematic issues with 2017+ Reported.

Consistently reviewed as one of the better driving SUV lines. Standard equipment is more than enough for most people. And they’re the most attractive of the the sub-premium lines.

Plus, standard non turbo engine so driving it doesn’t suck #### all the time, 6 speed tranny so it doesn’t feel gross.

Just a good, solid looking, nicely handling, well equipped vehicle that is still made in Japan and comes in at very, very competitive pricing.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #3519
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You can't use reason to get someone to change their opinion if they didn't use reason to initially form their opinion.
Well maybe I buy nothing and 10 years from now when the road is nothing but 10 year old electric Telurides I will change my mind...

I have reason to not like the long term durability of the Hyundai/Kia product, and I admit I'm stubborn and slow to change.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #3520
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BTW, I started writing on the treads. I was doing the sidewall of the wheel that faces inside, but my markings weren't disappearing year after year, so I had to switch up my system. I guess my grease marker is a little too good or something.
I'm going to have to buy that grease marker/crayon Fuzz linked.

Something I learned to do in the past as well was to keep an excel spreadsheet of my maintenance that I just keep on the cloud. I love notes in this manner. So much easier to keep notes than word docs as long as you adjust the formats for the cells/rows/columns. I also love having tabs within the same doc to organize info (ie: DIY projects, quick reference info like tire pressure/tire torque, neat accessories etc.).

======

Extra about labeling tires: Years ago, I saw a saw a post where someone explained that they got swapping down to a science and could do it much faster than the average person including pulling out tires and storing tires because they wouldn't have to check every tire and relabel every time.

Because this person had so many tires to track/swap/rotate, they did one where they labeled the tires "1-4/5 or A to D/E". Then they extrapolated a swapping schedule using only the label numbers. If you swap tires as a set, you can easily continue to follow the schedule or numbers (ie: if from driver to passenger front then back is 1/2/3/4; driver front would be 1/3/2/4). Even if you had to replace a tire, supposedly you could in theory use something like 2B or C2 without too much hassle as the tire are still somewhat of a set.

According to the guy, there was some counterintuitive learning curve at first, but after that, it was dead easy and extra flexible. He could store years of swap data on a small post it note in his car as a cheat sheet. After a while he'd just remember the transition of 8/16 digits (original and next number of rotation and/or new set) that he'd write on a white board in his garage prior to swapping and then start working. No need to mark each tire each time and year, just double check tire number is still on/clear and immediately store. Because he knew the rotation order from this system, he could also store in a specific way to further speed up the next tire swap. The person even said he was in the process of teaching his wife/kids the system so that he could write 4 numbers on a white board and they could help position the tires for swapping and storage prior to the swap without asking for every tire.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote