Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #181
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you got in an accident and exchanged info with someone how would they ever know your passenger was an Uber fare?
Having gone through an extensive insurance investigation, I can assure you they'd find that out in about 30 seconds.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #182
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Uber's minimum charge is $5. So if I hail a Uber car to go from Brentwood to Brentwood Safeway for $5, will the Uber driver give me the dirty look? That's the problem I have with the current taxi system, they hate the extreme short haul fares.
I think a smart uber operator would probably want fares like yours. If downtown to the airport is around $20-30 as others have said, why wouldn't you want to take the Brentwood one? Easy max ratings, easy money ($10 round trip), little driving, and probably an easy repeat customer they can swap personal numbers with and occasionally go under the table so that Uber doesn't take a piece every single time. (ie: Hail Uber over, but pretend you walked back and pocket cash/vice versa, cash over, uber back?)

Assuming you're not a nightmare to deal with on a short 2-3 minute drive.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #183
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Also assuming they don't drive from a long way for your fare.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #184
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think a smart uber operator would probably want fares like yours. If downtown to the airport is around $20-30 as others have said, why wouldn't you want to take the Brentwood one? Easy max ratings, easy money ($10 round trip), little driving, and probably an easy repeat customer they can swap personal numbers with and occasionally go under the table so that Uber doesn't take a piece every single time. (ie: Hail Uber over, but pretend you walked back and pocket cash/vice versa, cash over, uber back?)

Assuming you're not a nightmare to deal with on a short 2-3 minute drive.
All I see in this example is $10 gross revenue for about an hour of your time
10 mins to get to address (assuming you are already in the area)
10 minutes for trip to store
30 minute wait while in store
10 minute return trip

I think many proponents of driving for Uber have not considered the logistics of driving for a living.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #185
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
10 minute return trip

I think many proponents of driving for Uber have not considered the logistics of driving for a living.
I really was talking more in the context of some of the guys saying they'd moonlight as an Uber driver and not someone who would be a full time Uber driver. My mistake. Bad wording.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #186
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

A took a few minutes to email my alderman re: Uber. Shockingly he got back to me in a few hours and said he was disappointed that they decided to operate against the rules, and is concerned about public safety. I told him that I was supportive of the service and will likely be using it in spite of the fact that it's illegal and has been denounced by the city, and that he should take this into account when he's sitting at the table.

I would encourage anyone who has a few minutes to do the same. We voted these people in, after all.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #187
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
A took a few minutes to email my alderman re: Uber. Shockingly he got back to me in a few hours and said he was disappointed that they decided to operate against the rules, and is concerned about public safety. I told him that I was supportive of the service and will likely be using it in spite of the fact that it's illegal and has been denounced by the city, and that he should take this into account when he's sitting at the table.

I would encourage anyone who has a few minutes to do the same. We voted these people in, after all.
Who is your Alderman if you don't mind me asking?

I know they voted on changing the bylaw to allow UberX into Calgary but it was rejected by City Hall. I never heard who voted against it, though.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #188
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Who is your Alderman if you don't mind me asking?

I know they voted on changing the bylaw to allow UberX into Calgary but it was rejected by City Hall. I never heard who voted against it, though.
Pincott.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #189
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post

10 minute return trip

There also seems to be an assumption that there is an unlimited number of fares available. I expect the reality is lots of waiting around. If someone is doing it opportunistically then no big deal but there's not a lot of money to be made that way either
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #190
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
There's good reason why the city cannot simply allow Uber to operate.
I get that. The issue is that the city has had a decade or more to deal with the taxi crisis in this city, and they failed. Utterly. The reforms they made were too little, too late, and pretty much anyone in Calgary who has ever tried to get a taxi on a busy weekend and had to wait for hours, or simply give up, will welcome any alternative at this point. Public opinion on the issue hardened against the taxi commission and the city years ago. They can regulate what they want, but any politician supporting the status quo will be off side with citizens.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-15-2015 at 05:00 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #191
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
There also seems to be an assumption that there is an unlimited number of fares available. I expect the reality is lots of waiting around. If someone is doing it opportunistically then no big deal but there's not a lot of money to be made that way either
There's money to be made in the evenings on weekends, when there's a chronic shortage of cabs. Which is the whole problem with the licensing system in the first place - it can't cope with the dramatic variance in demand over the course of a week. So no, probably not a lot of money to be made full-time, but money to be made part time.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #192
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

so car2go is what $86 a day? I'm going to go rent one of those, the new 4 door mercedes ones mind you not the small ones, and drive around as an Uber driver. No need to worry about gas or vehicle wear and tear, so after the $86 investment its all profit.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #193
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Uber to Launch in Calgary at 2 PM

Even when it comes to license fees the cabbies have paid they aren't even legal to resell

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news...over-100k.html

So this grey market that they are paying for plates should not even be considered as a problem if people lose money on quasi legal transactions
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #194
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to know Calgary is so far behind the times on Uber, I thought you guys would have had it already.

Personally I just love it. The app is super easy to use and is normally cheaper, quicker, and cleaner than a taxi. Also, female friends find it safer as you know the name of your driver and the route is tracked.

I also love that is uses new smart phone technology to give a big FU to the archaic taxi industry which is still living in the age of fax machines. It has been hilarious to see the taxi lobby reaction in Australia including their poorly though out day long strike actions. They decided the best way to protest a new cheaper, quicker competitor was to reduce their services to zero for a day basically giving everyone a great reason to try Uber. Smart move guys!
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #195
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
not to mention the potential impact on those making their living driving taxis today.

We've had 2 "layoff" threads bemoaning job losses due to the downturn in the oil industry (economic/market forces) but as far as cab driver go it's "suck it up .... free market!
I don't have much sympathy for cab drivers because they provide a consistently bad product.

If half the time I couldn't buy gas for my car, the heat in my house didn't come on, or the utility company insisted I pay in cash at their office (instead of a 21st century method of paying) I wouldn't have any sympathy for the people in that business either.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #196
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring on Uber eats!
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #197
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Well that is what people are complaining about. We are not getting a choice right now. The cab cartel is the only choice given to us.
Yes I know and I support Uber. I am suggesting if consumers want reliable choices we need to be willing to pay for it.

For example, he eventual insurance solution is going to be costly for the operators which will raise prices to consumers.

If the service is good and reliable, it will cost.

I am just tired of people wanting things cheap.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #198
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The taxi situation in this city is beyond pathetic, and it has been for at least 15-20 years (relevance to me). I clearly remember the saturday night I waited for over 2 hours, in fricken altadore, until eventually I felt like I was ok to drive. That was about 12 years ago. Nowadays, as far as my money goes, pubs aren't really getting much of it, and neither are cabs, because it impossible to get a ride, so I either stay home, or go to a friend's place to watch games. At least I have somewhere to wait if it's going to take forever.

Yeah yeah, first world problems, right? I think it's f'n ridiculous how bad taxis are in this city. Try taking a taxi from downtown on a saturday night to any of the newer communities. Wait, check that. TRY catching a cab downtown on a saturday. That's your first mission. What you have to do, is walk past everyone so that you're like the first person on the street. And once you've corralled your cab, you have to get in and tell him to go south, or north, or whatever direction your unfortunate soul (or the girl you just met??) lives... Don't tell him it's Evergreen or Evanston, because he will actually pull over, and tell you that his shift is about to end, and he can't go that far. So you have to lie, and say that you're watiing for directions... Just go down McLeod!! After you pass Heritage, it's probably safe to admit you're taking him to 162nd. He wont forfeit the fricken $25 already on his meter by that time.

As for Nenshi piping up and telling us not to use this service, he can shut his face and either pick me up in less than 2 hours himself, or else man up and undo this weird, secret taxi mafia in this city. Because there's something not right about it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #199
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Taxi service in Calgary is so bad I don't even consider it an option anymore. I agree with you 4x4 Nenshi needs to shut his pie hole and do something. He blames Uber for not cooperating with the city, it is the exact opposite Mr. Mayor.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #200
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Oh yeah, I forgot the other part of my whine... It's like there's a goldilocks zone for cabs. I spent 10 years in bankview/south calgary and got dissed plenty of times on 17th for the ride being too short. Sorry I'm only getting you to take me 10 blocks. Years later, I'm asking them to take me 100 blocks, and still getting bitched at.

Zero sympathy here. I want to go take a ride in an Uber car just for the hell of it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: