Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
yyjvisitor
Draft Pick

Default switch or router???

I need to split an ethernet connection in my media room. I would like it to work simultaneously with a slingbox and apple tv. Any ideas?
yyjvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've already got a router on your network that takes care of handing out IP addresses, routing traffic, etc. then you'll just want a switch. Two routers on the same network will cause all sorts of headaches for you and isn't really necessary.

Edit: Something like this will do the trick:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...0%28ME%29.aspx

Slingbox, Apple TV, whatever else goes into the switch. Your existing ethernet cable goes back to the existing router. No configuration necessary - just plug it in.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 12-28-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switch is what you want, however if you do have a router you can put it in access point mode to disable DHCP and NAT to make it function as a switch.

Assuming you need to buy one, the suggestion made by Jimmy is what I would get, or the 8 port version.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to add to the esteemed posters above, when you understand that your router is what protects you from nasties out there, and your switch helps to hand out internal addresses, then your solution becomes much clearer. hopefully, your existing router is recent.

depending upon the number of ports, buy the gigabit switch. i bought this one at memory express and i have nothing but good things to say about it. you plug in, it works: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...30393(ME).aspx
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
just to add to the esteemed posters above, when you understand that your router is what protects you from nasties out there, and your switch helps to hand out internal addresses, then your solution becomes much clearer. hopefully, your existing router is recent.

depending upon the number of ports, buy the gigabit switch. i bought this one at memory express and i have nothing but good things to say about it. you plug in, it works: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...30393(ME).aspx
Not that it really matters in this case but a typical switch doesn't have anything to do with handing out internal IP addresses. To put it simply, a switch just moves traffic back and forth to items that it is connected to. If the item doesn't already have an IP address from another source (DHCP or statically set) a switch won't actually work.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How likely is it that 2 or more routers on the same network results in traffic being killed every once in a while?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
How likely is it that 2 or more routers on the same network results in traffic being killed every once in a while?
I tried it once and there were all sorts of IP address conflicts. The only way to make it work effectively is to go:

Modem > Router 1 > WAN port on router 2

That will treat router 2's network as something completely separate from router 1's network. Internet traffic should be able to pass through, but you won't be able to easily share between devices on the two networks.

Is yours crapping out every now and then? Two routers? Maybe when the DHCP lease is renewed things are getting screwed up.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Several bad things could happen, depending on the configuration. 2 likely, and obvious problems would be:

1) It will most likely mean 2 Dueling DHCP servers, which can cause all sorts of wonky things to happen.

2) Each router will create its own subnet, which could be the same if using default configured routers from the same company. This could cause problems, especially if IP addresses within each subnet are identical. You could also face problems with there being a hardware firewall between the 2 subnets, so depending on how it is configured, you might be blocking some types of traffic in one or both directions through that router.

Bottom line is if you have more than one router, make sure all but the one that directly connects to your external internet connection are set to "Access Point Mode", or if there isn't such a mode, have DHCP and NAT disabled .
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Bottom line is if you have more than one router, make sure all but the one that directly connects to your external internet connection are set to "Access Point Mode", or if there isn't such a mode, have DHCP and NAT disabled .
Bottom, bottom line is that there is seldom if ever a need for two routers on a home network.

If you need a second wifi access point, buy a WAP, not a router. If you need more ports, or to deliver multiple ports to a single physical location, buy a switch.

Right tool for the job and all that.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Bottom, bottom line is that there is seldom if ever a need for two routers on a home network.

If you need a second wifi access point, buy a WAP, not a router. If you need more ports, or to deliver multiple ports to a single physical location, buy a switch.

Right tool for the job and all that.
That is true, but the situation I was guessing he was in was that he currently has 2 routers and I was explaining how it would work for him without purchasing new equipment. Otherwise, you are totally correct. It would be idiotic to spend 2-4 times as much on a router when a switch would be the best tool for the job.

Last edited by Rathji; 12-29-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling are guud
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
That is true, but the situation I was guessing he was in was that he currently has 2 routers and I was explaining how it would work for him without purchasing new equipment. Otherwise, you are totally correct. It would be idiotic to spend 2-4 times as much on a router when a switch would be the best tool for the job.
Yeah for sure. Mine was more general advice, not specific to this situation.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
yyjvisitor
Draft Pick

Hello CP'ers Thank you for all the advice. I have ordered a switch and will add it to my network for the media room. Thanks All!

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...8%28ME%29.aspx
yyjvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote