Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Plasma TVs and Image Burn/Retention

Alright, I have read everything I can on this phenomenon. I understand they are different.

There are some people out there who say this is a myth with modern technological advancements. I bought an LG PJ550 50" plasma about 2 months ago, and I mostly use it for games. I played NHL 11 quite a bit when it first came out, but I haven't touched the game in over 3 weeks. In fact I haven't played anything in that same amount of time.

Today was the first chance I really got to do any gaming. I popped in Red Dead Redemption, and have been playing it for about the last 3 or 4 hours. While riding through the west, I noticed some text in the sky. I have been swinging the camera around, and figured out it says "Edit Lineup". Over to the right of the screen is some more 'burnt in' text, like EA PUCKS, and LT/RT OFFENSE. The more I look, the more I find.

What the hell? The TV has been used sparingly over the past few weeks, and no time spent on that particular game (if anything I watched a little cable while doing laundry or on the treadmill). I was so paranoid about having this happen in the first place that I never left a fixed image on the screen for more than a half hour (if I had to be away for any reason I would just simply turn the TV off, or shut down completely). After doing some more reading, there are sites that say you should run your TV on low contrast/brightness for the first 200 hours. It would have been great to know that, as I would have taken that precaution as well.

Is this just image retention? If so, shouldn't it have disappeared by now? I've been playing a game with NO fixed imaging and the screen should have had plenty of time to refresh. Am I screwed?

[EDIT: I meant for this to be in the Tech forum. I have no excuse other than stupidity.]

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I have an LG plasma, and my fiancee has an IPTV box. When I turn on the TV I can always tell what she last watched; the text is right there on the screen.

It always seems to go away, but I no longer trust my TV and I am extra careful with any kind of static images.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have you tried putting it on a channel with just snowy static for 1/2 hour. I've heard that can help with image retention. Obviously it may not do as much or anything for burn-in.

There's some interesting stuff on this site although it is a commercial site...

http://www.plasmasaver.com/burnin.html

Quote:
How Many Plasma Users Experience Burn-In?

In fact, not many. Recent technologies make modern plasma displays much more resistant to permanent image retention. A research sponsored by Pioneer Electronics demonstrates that leaving a static image for 48 hours did cause a clearly visible image retention on all three of their test plasmas, but running a movie loop for 24 hours removed all signs of the after-image.
However, it is still possible to burn a plasma if it is used to display static images, such as black side bars, for extended periods of time without varying viewing material. Channel or computer game logos are also likely lo leave an after-image.
PlasmaSaver DVD helps to prevent permanent image retention by running your plasma in full-screen mode in an infinite loop. It can be also used to wash out any signs of temporary image retention caused by the prolonged display of static images.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a thing called 'Color Wash'....I tried it for a few seconds. Perhaps I need to leave it on longer.

It's just strange that, after 4 hours of gameplay, the image still hasn't gone away.

Why the hell does EA put those stupid menu bars on their games? Bright white, and fixed into one place no matter which screen you goto.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I understand it, image retention in plasmas is most likely to occur when the display is new (something about the display cells having to "age" for a bit before the risk drops). For both of mine, I ran the "burn in" sequence from AVSForum (just a series of coloured screens that loops endlessly) for about 100-125 hours before I started to use them. Both my TVs also have a "video pattern" mode (sometimes called a "scrubber") which will display a scrolling white bar for 1 hour, then turn the TV off--such things are supposed to help reduce retention.

That said, my older plasma now has image retention from too much Rock Band, and I think it's actually recent (I might have been playing without the image orbiter on, whoops), so it's still possible to cause, it seems. It's very faint on that screen, and really only visible with a solid grey background, but so far the "video pattern" hasn't done much. Newer TVs are apparently better, but image retention or uneven wear is generally possible on pretty much every display technology.

AVSForum has loads of guides for such matters in their Plasma forum, sometimes even model specific (such as what brightness/colour settings to use for the first 100-200 hours). I used that extensively when I got mine.

Edit: Also, EA Games (Madden, NHL, etc) are apparently really bad to use with a new display. I heard of some guys with last years Panasonic plasmas that had noticeable retention after only a few hours of Madden. Those perpetual bright logos with hard edges are to blame.

Last edited by Bob; 10-09-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never, ever buy another Plasma television. LCD's seem to be better, all the way around.

How the average consumer cannot fall prey to this is beyond me. EA is very much to blame here. I guess just as much as LG for not informing the consumer about the break-in process.

Why must we be forced to learn such expensive lessons?

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 10-09-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leaving it on a snowy channel is the best advice. My dad has done this with his after burning in the BNN ticker on the screen. Didn't take it away entirely, but enough to not notice it when watching anything.

When I bought my plasma I made sure to switch to a snowy channel after about 30 mins of gameplay for the first month or two. I realize this doesn't help you now, but may help others buying a new tv.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
How the average consumer cannot fall prey to this is beyond me. EA is very much to blame here. I guess just as much as LG for not informing the consumer about the break-in process.
While they don't mention the break in process, I haven't seen one plasma or LCD manual that doesn't address ghosting and recommend not leaving stationary images/logos on for extended periods of time.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
While they don't mention the break in process, I haven't seen one plasma or LCD manual that doesn't address ghosting and recommend not leaving stationary images/logos on for extended periods of time.
As does mine, and it says not to leave a fixed image on longer than 1 hour.

It would be nice if they told you to leave the TV on low contrast/brightness for the first 200 hours. How would an average consumer know this until it is too late?

Sadly, my TV automatically shuts off on a snowy channel. Anyone know any break in videos/images I can use on a flash drive? Trying to go through the threads on the AVSforum is driving me nuts. Would doing a 'color wash' for a few hours accomplish the same thing?

Thanks already for everyones help.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a 50" LG, maybe the same Tv in fact.

I've noticed some burn in along the edges of standard def, so that when I watch HD I see the vertical lines running up and down along the edges of the TV on both sides.

Lesson: don't buy a plasma. My 37" Aquos doesn't have this issue.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I also have a 50" LG,
Lesson: don't buy a plasma.
Maybe the lesson is don't buy an LG

@Yamer: You'll want "white wash" not "colour wash". If you don't have the white wash option on yours, but have a computer that can output to the tv, you could try a program called JScreenFix. I haven't used it (but have used similar programs for LCDs), so I can't vouch for it's quality, or be held responsible for any damage to the tv.

Also, a dvd that would do the same job:
http://www.amazon.com/PixelProtector...9007369&sr=8-1

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I own 2 plasma's both of which have had static imagines left on them for well over 6 hours.

They do get slight ghosting but the wash feature removes it in about 20 minutes.

Maybe the difference is they are Panasonic versus LG
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy to say "Don't buy a plasma" but I couldn't find an LCD in the size I wanted a year and a half ago when I bought my TV. I have a Samsung and I find the 'Frame' channel on shaw HD is good for clearing any ghosting.

Shaw is to blame for mine, their freaking menus are all the same.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Maybe the lesson is don't buy an LG

@Yamer: You'll want "white wash" not "colour wash". If you don't have the white wash option on yours, but have a computer that can output to the tv, you could try a program called JScreenFix. I haven't used it (but have used similar programs for LCDs), so I can't vouch for it's quality, or be held responsible for any damage to the tv.

Also, a dvd that would do the same job:
http://www.amazon.com/PixelProtector...9007369&sr=8-1
Going to try a few of the options this great community has provided me. I do have the white wash option and assumed the alternating colors would have been a better option. You know what assuming does.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Maybe the difference is they are Panasonic versus LG
I've got a Panasonic as well. I've never had an issue, any image retention has always cleared immediately after changing the channel. From anything I've read the the Panasonics and the Pioneers are the best at preventing ghosting/IR. Good luck Yamer! Hope it all goes well.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Without a doubt, the only reason to every buy a plasma is for a dedicated home theater with no outside light that will be used only to watch the occasional movie. No matter what anyone says. Do not play video games or anything else on the screen, including television (unless you want things like CNN or playboy burned to the bottom). I find anything to the contrary is pretty much sales pitch for the plasma community.
Many electronics have break in periods; I didn't realize plasma would burn so quickly without it. Sorry to hear your screen may be ruined.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Those perpetual bright logos with hard edges are to blame.
No, plasma technology is to blame - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the input signal.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
No, plasma technology is to blame - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the input signal.
It's a bit of both. EA (or sports game in general) just don't need to put those menu tickers that display your gameface....as well as several other static images. Game makers are aware of the technology out there, and should be more accommodating to the consumer.

In a stroke of good news, I used the white wash function for a few hours and the images seem to have gone away. I have set the TV to low contrast and brightness and have it running a movie channel on full zoom. I'll just let it run all day for the next few days to break it in a bit more.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice. It can't be said enough that this is the greatest online community in the history of stuff. Well, as long as you stay out of gametime threads.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't own a plasma but one thing I've heard is to not use the vivid setting, especially on a new plasma TV. It is good advice for any TV and all viewers wanting a realistic picture, to make some attempt at optimizing the picture, either through settings obtained from such sites as CNET's TV reviews, online test images, DVDs such as Digital Video Essentials or professional calibrators.

Heres a link to optimizing your TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40306

and here's a link to Burn In and Break In

Quote:
TV setup also plays a major role in Burn-in. Many TVs come shipped with the default picture mode being "Vivid" or "Dynamic" -
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yeah from what I read, plasmas are most susceptible to burn in when they are new so I avoided anything that could stick for the first 2 weeks.

I also have a HTPC hooked up permantely and I can just run screensavers or any screen scrubbing programs.

I am running the TV on the highest brightness and contrast though, haven't seen any issues. I don't play videogames on it though.

LG 60PK550. I find that the reflection/glare problems aren't an issue for me since I just swivel the TV at an angle and sit on a different couch if there's really bright light coming through the window, like rotating a mirror so the light doesn't hit it anymore.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image burn , image retention , plasma