Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Thumbs down 360 problems

I bought a new elite about 3 months ago and I noticed it was a bit louder then my launch day 360. I didn't really care as it was still pretty quiet but it has gotten louder and louder as time goes on.

I had to install BF2 onto the hard drive because it was so insanely loud I couldn't even hear the TV. (Imagine a plane taking off in your living room.) Even worse whenever the game loads (when it normally gets a bit louder) there's a terrible grinding sound.

This only happens when I am playing off a disk, when playing off the Hard Drive or streaming videos/in dashboard it sounds normal. Anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking of sending it back to Microsoft as they have a 1 year warranty.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

You could send it back, but you risk getting some awful refurb.

I'm on my 3rd 360 and while none of them have been as loud as what you're describing, I think when (not if) this one dies I'll just smash into a few thousand pieces, send it back to Microsoft and tell them that quality parts are needed on their next generation console.

Seriously, I don't think one of my friends who has a 360 has nice things to say about the hardware aspect of it.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The 1st 360 I had (launch day) lasted like 7 days then got the RROD. Sent it back and that one has worked great. Just pisses me off that a new one is worse then a 5 year old refurb. I am guessing the problem is with the cd drive because that's the only time it sounds like an airplane.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine's almost 2 years old now, and while I've been lucky(still on first one), I've noticed its starting to get louder as well. F'n Microsoft, I seriously don't understand how they're not the laughingstock of the gaming world with how poorly the XBox 360's are designed. I seriously can't wait until the next gen comes out so I can go back to PS. I'll never stray again...

...and ya I know I mention this alot, but every time I see one of these threads it just brings my piss to a boil about XBox.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My xbox when it came out from the box is really loud. Just the cd drive is loud, but if I press the flap in to the xbox it's quiet. Kind of weird. But I have a really messed drive that sometimes it won't read the cd. So I have to eject and put in the drive until it'll read
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
My xbox when it came out from the box is really loud. Just the cd drive is loud, but if I press the flap in to the xbox it's quiet. Kind of weird. But I have a really messed drive that sometimes it won't read the cd. So I have to eject and put in the drive until it'll read
Do you have to blow on the CD too?
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine was really loud... like turn the speakers up a couple notches to drown it out loud...

I got RROD'd and the one they sent back (either new or fixed) is whisper quiet in comparison... though it has got a bit louder since I first started it up. I'm presuming dust / wear the same as what happens to computer case/videocard fans.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

This happend to me a month or two ago, but the 360 is only loud when reading off the disk.

I'm just going to return the stupid thing and get a new one.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote