Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default BB Bold 9700 is Awesome!

Had this phone for a day now, and I love it. I hated it for the first bit, but now that I've got it figured out, I want to flush my BB pearl down the toilet and never see it again.
Everything is better. The way SMS and email is portrayed, the options for...everything... Um, this track pad as opposed to the trackball. This phone is so awesome. And it's light. Compared to the 9000 which my cousin has, there's a noticeable difference in weight, plus it's a bit smaller. The keys are solid. Doesn't feel cheap like the Curve.

I give this phone 2 thumbs up.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

I have the Bold 9000 and I agree it's a great device. The only difference I know of between the 9000 and 9700 is that the 9700 is smaller and lighter.

Does the 9700 have Wi-Fi as well?
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's got wi-fi... But I bought it because of the trackpad. Love the trackpad.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Yeah, I wanna try it just to see what the trackpad is like. A lot better than the trackball from what I've read in terms of keeping particles out. Responsiveness okay? Have you used the trackball before?

I looked at the Blackberry Tour as well, but that doesn't have Wi-Fi which is a huge minus I think.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yeah, my pearl had the trackball. It was a cool feature when I got it, but in my line of work, it's pretty common to end up with dirty hands. The trackball was constantly getting buggered because someone would always call and ask me for some info that required using the trackball while my hands were caked with friggin concrete or something.

The trackpad is like a mousepad on a laptop. But better. I absolutely love it. And you can set the responsiveness. If you're a twitchy f'r, you can set it way down.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, I just bought this phone a few days ago and I love it. Actually my first Blackberry so I am still learning the tricks for it. So far, it is amazing. I went with Wind mobile and so far so good. The first few days were a little bumpy as to getting set up with all my services. I went with pay as you go, no way will I ever get tied down in a contact again.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rogers new policy hardware upgrade policy really screwed me over. Use to be able to do it yearly, but now they changed it to 2 years for smartphone upgrades. I was eligible on Aug.23/09, but they changed the policy on the 22nd, and now I can't upgrade to the 9700.

I got a chance to use my buddy's 9700 and love the trackpad. That would be enough for me just to get it. I hate the trackball even more now. Too bad the 9000 didn't get it last year.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone give me a good lead on where I could download a good media player that I can watch video clips and stream audio music on. I was thinking vlc but you have to pay for it. Or a good website where I can find good downloads for my 9700. Thanks.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

All Blackberry's should be flushed down the toilet
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Thanks, Jordon. I feel the same way about coolers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Strange comment but I feel the same way about the price of golf in the overrated state of Arizona..to each their own i guess, my blackberry and myself love each other!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ooh... My first complaint about the 9700 - different charger? WTF? Crackberry has made the first step into I Hate You territory.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

micro usb is the new standard for cell phones, i assume thats hat the 9700 uses?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
micro usb is the new standard for cell phones, i assume thats hat the 9700 uses?
Yup.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Are you saying that alot of phones use this or will use this? And therefore, I'm alot more likely to be able to use a charger at someone's place if I don't have my own?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Strange comment but I feel the same way about the price of golf in the overrated state of Arizona..to each their own i guess, my blackberry and myself love each other!
Let me guess, you wear socks and sandals?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Are you saying that alot of phones use this or will use this? And therefore, I'm alot more likely to be able to use a charger at someone's place if I don't have my own?
17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard

This is supposed to happen in 2012.

Also, a Micro USB cable is crazy cheap at monoprice , so assuming you have access to a computer you can keep one extra in your office, couple in your car etc.

Last edited by Rathji; 01-03-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
17 companies adopt micro USB phone charger standard

This is supposed to happen in 2012.

Also, a Micro USB cable is crazy cheap at monoprice , so assuming you have access to a computer you can keep one extra in your office, couple in your car etc.
Tip - Many Blackberrys won't charge at all using the USB cable if the Berry is completely dead - there has to be some juice left.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHockeyFans View Post
Tip - Many Blackberrys won't charge at all using the USB cable if the Berry is completely dead - there has to be some juice left.
True!, i have also noticed though that it will not charge properly (sometimes) if you do not have the blackberry software installed.

I just got my 9700 not too long ago, i had the 9000 previously, and the 9700 by far is better in all aspects.

i was under the assumption that the 9700 had a faster processor then the 9000....does anyone know if thats true?
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote